So whos going out on Labor day?

Probably going to be out at the ledges west of RFP pending weather...but weather looks good so far.

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    Looks like no one wants to commit just yet. There have not been many boats offshore on any of my trips.
    larrywitt
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    We are heading out Saturday and will return Monday with plans of fishing 300 to 900 feet of water. All signs right now are pointing towards a very nice weekend offshore. Found a spot a few weeks ago that comes up to 775 feet out of 900 while trolling. It appeared to be jammed up according to the bottom machine. Looked as if there was a healthy population of ballbat or queen snappers home. Can't wait to introduce some tasty morsels to the residents there.
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    that is crazy, good luck out there.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Going to try for snook in the river. It's supposed to be good weather to go offshore.
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    Saturday I will be spearing as part of the FGCU Spearfishing team. The naples spearfishing league is holding a little tourney, about 7 teams are participating for a top prize of $1,000. Items will also be raffled, if there you're not doing anything, stop by the weigh in Tavern-On-The-Bay-Sports-Bar-Grill in Naples at 7pm for the weigh in. Hopefully there will be some nice fish weighed in.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,149 Captain
    I'm going to try to get out 3x this weekend...

-PM brackish for monsters under the spillway using Tilapia and Bluegill for bait...
    -AM jetty and beaches for snook and snapper
    -Afternoon bass/bluegill fishin with kiddo.

IMG_0301_zps0e5503a5.jpg
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    You are starting the the little girl out on the right foot.
    Give her lots of LOVE and a FISHING POLE.:thumbsup
    larrywitt
    Man I loved bluegill fishing as a kid.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    Finsfan wrote: »
    that is crazy, good luck out there.

Amazingly, unless there is a pressure system off the coast, its usually clear blue skies 100 150 miles out while rhe coastline to 20 - 30 miles gets bombarded with afternoon rain and t storms
    It's forecast to be beautiful over the holiday weekend. Not afraid to dip my toes into some water 800 feet deep or greater.
  • PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    We might slide out to 20 miles out of RFP or Boca Grande on Sunday. Any one want to buddy boat?
    How far out is the blue water now?
    RANGER BAY 2300
    Ptsrhenry wrote: »
    We might slide out to 20 miles out of RFP or Boca Grande on Sunday. Any one want to buddy boat?
    How far out is the blue water now?

Might see you out there :fishing
  • roozterdvxroozterdvx Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    I'll be heading out of Lover's Key - New Pass tomorrow 30-50 miles out

wasn't planning on hitting the water this weekend but the weather is looking way too nice to stay home
    (hate going out on holiday weekends)
    Everyone is raving about the weather, whats up? is it supposed to be glass or something?
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    Just got back a few minutes ago on a nearshore wreck Mango Bite. Tide was slow, but Mangos bit pretty steadily through the night. Once we got the chumslick going, they were chewing mid column. Ended up with our limits up to about 4lbs. Seas were a foot or less.
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    I fished over in Pine Island Sound yesterday and we had a blast. I am taking today to watch a TON of college football but will be heading out Sunday and a half day for the holiday Monday. I'm sure Labor day will be filled with people going out for a "cruise" from about noon on so we plan to get out early, get back early. I saw a 40 footer go plowing by a sail boat yesterday and almost flipped the folks on it right into the water. Probably just a taste of what's to come on monday afternoon.
    Got off to a late start...

...in the water at 8, ran 35 miles out.

Water looked like black coffee out to 15 miles then cleared up.
    Saw no bait while heading out.

Limited out on reds in an hour.
    First drop produced a 25" slob into the fishbox.
    Anything just over 20" went into the livewell and swapped out for larger fish.
    Kept nothing under 23" and the largest came in at 28".

Seas were 1-2 going out, laying to 1' chop while anchored.
    Ran in with ease with a full box.
    Didn't get sloppy until we were within 10 miles of the beach.
    interesting, 2 foot seas? Called for 1 footers all weekend.
    Finsfan wrote: »
    interesting, 2 foot seas? Called for 1 footers all weekend.

THT 2 footers...lol

it was 1 foot for the most part but there are a few areas I cross that always seem to get a little sloppy
    roozterdvx wrote: »
    THT 2 footers...lol

it was 1 foot for the most part but there are a few areas I cross that always seem to get a little sloppy

ahhh I see, hopefully its nice out tomorrow.
  • PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    We got out to 72', 21 miles out on Boca Grande pass.
    10 keeper Red Grouper in the ice box!
    RANGER BAY 2300
    We went, we saw, we caught and returned through some sketchy weather with the storms.