Home General Fishing

The Value of the Fishing Rod

Replies

• ReelAggressiveReelAggressive Posts: 39 Deckhand
    rysher wrote: »
    as most about everything we own, be familiar with the tool you have and you will understand how to use it right. learn the characteristic of the fishing rod that you ahve, understand how deep it bends, know how stiff/flimsy the tip is, how sensitive it is, how much backbone it has and based the reaction of your hand (setting the hook) to those factors. any person woulndt have a hookset ratio of close to 100% if he don't know his equipment (and some luck). the more you use the fishing rod you have, the more you'll understand its characteristics.

And with regards to a $30 rod to a $150 rod, yes there's a difference performance-wise, but can they catch the same fish? yes, of course why not as long as both has the same rating. just like driving a corolla and a ferrari, both cars will take you from point a to point b, the difference is in the experience in getting there. just like with our rod comparison, the experience in handling a 30# fish on a $30 rod compared to $150 is the difference and you wont know the difference until you try both.

btw, i've never been inside a ferrari before.

i dont doubt those uglystik users, they are one of the msot versatile rod, they are good at everything but not the best in anything.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    This is consistent with the experience most people I know have had at some point. There's a serious leap between $30 rods and $130 rods. The leap between $130 and $230 is more subtle.

x a thousand
    mikev wrote: »
    Backwards. I need justification for spending $100 when $29 will do. :grin

most people with this mentality also think that two piece rods are "handy"
    fishboy wrote: »
    I use the same rod for pompano fishing. Good rod, but I used braid, and it jacked up the guides. Gonna replace it before the season starts again...

if it was a good rod, the braid wouldnt have toasted the guides..
    there arent nearly enough guides on the cheap rods and they are mostly two piece blanks, which absolutely ruins the sensitivity.. ive only found one bonafide good cheap rod.. the ande tournament inshore for 40 bucks.. a one piece, fast tip, nice and sensitive, very accurate.. lacking on the number of guides though... more guides will manage your line better, give you a more accurate cast, and give you a much cleaner parabolic curve.. if theres a cheap rod thats one piece, has 10 guides and is super sensitive, and weighs less that 6 oz, i'd love to see it..

of course you can catch fish on a cheap rod but the advantages you get out of a well built and well functioning rod are really worth it..
    Consider it like this...a running back can use a pair of cleats from Payless...sure, he can run in them...but he much rather comfortable cleats. I honestly believe that your rod should be better than your reel. (YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR). Fisherman don't bother with their gear, anglers know gear is almost as important as knowledge. Hell...if you're asking that question....go to Walmart and buy a cute rod.
    Jettypark wrote: »
    LOL... I always crack up when threads like this come along... and trust me i'm not putting it down..
    just some of the zillion of replies that you will get about getting a $$$$$$$$$$ rod :grin... go to any
    pier and look around for the locals that actually catch fish and never say anything.. I bet you anything
    that they are fishing with "El Cheapo rod" ... hell I bet some wont even have a tip on their rods.. yet they
    still outfish people with $$$$$ gear...

It all boils down to "Skill" more then anything else... People hate the word Uglystik but I have a few and love
    them.. if they break no biggie I go out an buy a new one..

I fell on the rocks with my St Croix Rod and busted the tip... you talk about getting sick :banghead there are just
    places when its best to have something that's a work horse instead of a show horse... :wink

Here is my take> Get what you can afford and I have to disagree with the reel just being a line holder :huh the
    reel is the heart of the setup> get a cheap reel and you will pay for it.. get a cheap rod (that has the right action)
    and you won't notice anything.... so what if its a couple of ounces more then a $$$$$$$$$ rod... I hear people
    talking about but the rod weights 4 ounces more then this model... good lord man.. do some push ups :blowkiss

Also if you ever watch fishing shows> look at some of the rods in the background of the guides boat...
    I bet you anything its a Uglystik LOL...

Very true, great response. Me on the the other hand, I'm a gear fanatic. I love the right gear for the right scenario...but hey, that's just me!
  • rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    there arent nearly enough guides on the cheap rods
    true, even the expensive rods.
    lacking on the number of guides though... more guides will manage your line better, give you a more accurate cast, and give you a much cleaner parabolic curve..
    true, but too much also ruins the rod especially in the hands of an incompetent builder.
    look at it as a diving board. a "blank" by itself is like a diving board, once you put in the gudeis, especially too much and too heavy, it completely destroys the rod. try tying a 100# sack full of sand on the diving board, then jump on it, reverberation wouldnt be as crisp as a diving board with no load, just like the blank- the load totally destroys the blank.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    if it was a good rod, the braid wouldnt have toasted the guides..

Hahahaha, it's a good rod because of the blank, not the guides... I have the Teramar XH 8ft, which is a similar rod to this one (same action and so on) and when pompano fishing I actually prefer the action of this rod for detecting bites, and it doesn't matter that it is two piece because it sits in a rod holder all day... For $20 it is basically a disposable rod, and I can afford to replace it every season... Also on the Beach, sand usually gets into your reel seats and you are consistantly dragging heavy weights out of the sand (spudnics get stuck) and I don't like taking my $$$ rods down there because they get messed up if you know what I mean... Obviously if it had FUJI guides it would be better, but the price would also double... If I am lets say plugging for tarpon or snook (why i got the Teramar)etc, then I will use a quality rod because i need it but on the beach you do not... I agree with you on needing one pice rods for sensitivity when inshore fishing, and all my inshore rods are 1 piece rods...
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    there arent nearly enough guides on the cheap rods and they are mostly two piece blanks, which absolutely ruins the sensitivity.. ive only found one bonafide good cheap rod.. the ande tournament inshore for 40 bucks.. a one piece, fast tip, nice and sensitive, very accurate.. lacking on the number of guides though... more guides will manage your line better, give you a more accurate cast, and give you a much cleaner parabolic curve.. if theres a cheap rod thats one piece, has 10 guides and is super sensitive, and weighs less that 6 oz, i'd love to see it..

of course you can catch fish on a cheap rod but the advantages you get out of a well built and well functioning rod are really worth it..

Hey man, check out the Tsunami Back Water rods if you can find them. I have the 7'6" M rod and it is One piece and has a very sensitive blank and for $30 they are awesome, but they have 8 guides, not ten... Tight lines!
  • PargitoPargito Posts: 48 Deckhand
    A fishing rod does make a difference in certain situations.

I would not use a barbie rod or inshore ugly stik while highspeed trolling for wahoo, deep dropping or even bottom fishing in deep water. In addition when you are fishing on a headboat you would have a hard time horsing up a 50lb AJ with an 8$ bluelight special inshore series rod.

What I am trying to say is the line breaking strength should be appropriately matched to the length, taper, and number of guides on a rod.
    This does not mean the rod need be expensive. Just well suited for the job. In casting situations the taper of the rod is especially important.

Bottom line is match the rod to the application. In reality the main application that is of concern with a fishing rod is the hookset. Some hooksets are made best with a softer tip others are not.
  • TheLegendFloridaTheLegendFlorida Posts: 37 Deckhand
    The fish arn't going to see your rod and reel, as long as your equipment isnt going to break or your not undergunned, you equipment is fine, the terminal equipment is the most important element in your whole settup
    rysher wrote: »
    true, even the expensive rods.

true, but too much also ruins the rod especially in the hands of an incompetent builder.
    look at it as a diving board. a "blank" by itself is like a diving board, once you put in the gudeis, especially too much and too heavy, it completely destroys the rod. try tying a 100# sack full of sand on the diving board, then jump on it, reverberation wouldnt be as crisp as a diving board with no load, just like the blank- the load totally destroys the blank.

guides are pretty light these days.. my falcon bucoo has 10 guides on it and the total weight of the entire rod is 4oz.. you can cast even the lightest lures effectively and you feel every single little bump and tick.. but youre right.. makin a rod aint like makin a cup of coffee .. its easy to completely ruin it even if it looks like a million bucks
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    For the new guys reading up on "Value of a fishing Rod"... i'm sorry.. because reading some of these replies can make a person
    head spin :grin

IMHO> If you are just starting out Don't get caught up in spending $$$ on a rod/reel.. get what you
    can afford and hone your skills... Gather knowledge first and then go crazy if you want LOL....

Again it depends on what hobbies you have and what you value> For me I love to shoot and I don't mind
    spending $$$$$$$ on Ammo/Classes or mod to my weapons... or buying more firearms...

I just never saw the point in spending $500 on a rod/reel... when I can spend it on this
    IMG_2358.jpg

and if you aren't single you better hope your better half is also into your hobby... because many Man have
    become single once they get bit by the all mighty fishing bug :grin

Me i'm lucky my better half loves to fish/shoot... but if I ever came home with a $400 fishing rod... she would
    ask me if I was crazy...she loves to shoot more then fishing... plus you can stop a Zombie with a Glock...
    not so much with a fishing rod LOL.... sorry guys i'm into my crown tonite :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    Pargito wrote: »
    A fishing rod does make a difference in certain situations.

I would not use a barbie rod or inshore ugly stik while highspeed trolling for wahoo, deep dropping or even bottom fishing in deep water. In addition when you are fishing on a headboat you would have a hard time horsing up a 50lb AJ with an 8$ bluelight special inshore series rod.

What I am trying to say is the line breaking strength should be appropriately matched to the length, taper, and number of guides on a rod.
    This does not mean the rod need be expensive. Just well suited for the job. In casting situations the taper of the rod is especially important.

Bottom line is match the rod to the application. In reality the main application that is of concern with a fishing rod is the hookset. Some hooksets are made best with a softer tip others are not.

Exactly.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    Jettypark wrote: »
    For the new guys reading up on "Value of a fishing Rod"... i'm sorry.. because reading some of these replies can make a person
    head spin :grin

IMHO> If you are just starting out Don't get caught up in spending $$$ on a rod/reel.. get what you
    can afford and hone your skills... Gather knowledge first and then go crazy if you want LOL....

Again it depends on what hobbies you have and what you value> For me I love to shoot and I don't mind
    spending $$$$$$$ on Ammo/Classes or mod to my weapons... or buying more firearms...

I just never saw the point in spending $500 on a rod/reel... when I can spend it on this
    IMG_2358.jpg

and if you aren't single you better hope your better half is also into your hobby... because many Man have
    become single once they get bit by the all mighty fishing bug :grin

Me i'm lucky my better half loves to fish/shoot... but if I ever came home with a $400 fishing rod... she would
    ask me if I was crazy...she loves to shoot more then fishing... plus you can stop a Zombie with a Glock...
    not so much with a fishing rod LOL.... sorry guys i'm into my crown tonite :wink
    Rod, nice collection.

and just like shooting, know your equipment. you might be proficient with your guns but when you change to something you'll have to re-learn something, like trigger pull, some triggers have that break or play, some are smooth as butter, some have a 5# pull while others like my competition gun has a 1.75# pull, some have night sights, some have fiber optics, etc. etc...

that's why on my earlier post i said, know your equipment. knowing the characteristics of your rod makes you familiar with it and makes the probability of the hookset higher.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    ****, i need to get some of them, ww3 right around the corner
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    We go to crazy levels with our shooting practice.. I was dry firing before I log on :wink
    I also tend to stay with "Real World" practice/shooting... was thinking about Three gun competition, but
    decided to keep going to classes and buying ammo... oh and fishing gear :grin
    We also put in a lot of range time (Private Land) that cut our cost big time...

Also paperwork and $$$$ on buying a Can for the 300blkout became a early Xmas present to us... Can't
    have enough ammo or firearms.. just incase the Zombies come :grin

and Crazy Obama is still knocking on that gun control issue :banghead .... So you better start getting all your
    supplies now because I believe this Gun Issue is nowhere close to being over.... Sorry for injecting that into our
    thread :USA
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
    i just got a g loomis worm and jig gl2 today.

feels nice. using for bass, and inshore. anyone use one of these to see if this rod makes a difference?
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    As long as it's 10 hundred feet long you'll be fine.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    superduper wrote: »
    i just got a g loomis worm and jig gl2 today.

feels nice. using for bass, and inshore. anyone use one of these to see if this rod makes a difference?

Loomis spin jig (identical to worm/jig) series is great for artificial baits. I use the 842 as a trout rod and it's fantastic.
    i have the mh. thing feels like a stick. lots of power it seems. i gotta test it with some shiners tomorrow. wont be able to test it on anything saltwater for awhile.

got it on a good trade. never thought id have a loomis as im not paying that much for a rod, but a great trade got me this one, feels top notch.

dont know what shimano to match it with yet, back in the reel market.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    i have the mh. thing feels like a stick. lots of power it seems. i gotta test it with some shiners tomorrow. wont be able to test it on anything saltwater for awhile.

got it on a good trade. never thought id have a loomis as im not paying that much for a rod, but a great trade got me this one, feels top notch.

You better get a Stella....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    shes too high maintenance. im thinking a 4000FJ maybe another 4000 ci4. they dont talk back.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    The new ci4 is perty.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    Stop being a cheapskate...just think of all the extra fish you will catch with a $750 reel....:wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer

I like the 3000FJ
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Sculler wrote: »
    So me, my friend, and his dad went out wade fishing the other day. We loaded up on bait early in the morning and started fishing. Me and my friend were standing on a sandbar in the water, and his dad a little bit away. After about an hour of catching and releasing spanish mackerel, snapper, ladyfish, annoying needlefish, and a blacktip we went over to his dad to go see how his progress was. Evidently he actually did better then we were doing, so we stuck around and fished by him. I was using a pretty light action cheap rod, my friend an expensive 100+ dollar pole and he was getting a couple more successful hook sets then me but the difference wasn't significant. His dad on the other hand was almost getting a 100% success rate on his hook sets fights. Asked him what the set up was and he said a symmetry and quote on quote "some rod I picked up at ****'s Sporting Goods for 8 bucks." He went on to tell some stories of tarpon he caught with the same set up, and how the pole your using really doesnt matter. Granted he's a much more experienced fishermen then us and an avid light tackle fanatic but I was wondering how much weight YOU guys put on the value of the pole.

In my opinion a good reel is a must, the rod on the other hand should just be comfortable for the user and have some backbone for when your prize fish comes along, but spending a lot of money isn't required for 90% of inshore applications.

With few exceptions of course, and factoring out money spent on boats and electronics, I would say there is a high coefficient of dollars spent on tackle/ fewer fish being caught, and vice versa.

The best fishermen I know really dont consider their tackle as long as it works consistently.
    out of all the tackle ive ever bought, i find that i hardly use any of it other than a hand full of different lures consistently.
    ive found what works for me in different areas, and thats what i use.

i always feel like im neglecting a lot of my lures, but thats probably just me feeling bad that i spend all that money of stuff i dont use.
    DOA shrimp, top waters, spoons, jigs and weedless hooks with a few different soft plastics is all i need.

this loomis gl2 bass rod is pretty nice though, caught a few 3 lb peacocks on it today. i like it.
    it just feels like a 4000 reel might be too big for it. with the style of handle, and the guide spacing. 4000 feels big size wise, but feels good weight wise.
    reels are getting too light.

and trying to match a rod with a reel or vise versa, takes some field work. getting out there and using the stuff, im starting to see that now with the last 2 fishing rods ive gotten. trying to figure what reel should go where. almost a bit challenging.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    I like the 3000FJ

I saw the 3000FJ on sale for $124.32 online yesterday. Think I'm gonna pick one up and pair it with a new Teramar.