Beach Fishing - Lack of Success

Alright, so far this "summer" I have ventured down to Turtle Beach at least a dozen times looking for pomps and flounder. If not more. In those dozen trips, Ive been skunked at least 8 of those. I try to time it with the incoming/high tides, as this proved to be successful on the East Coast while I was there.... I am an artificial guy. Throwing the book.... Pompano jigs (as in the Goofy jigs), white bucktails in 1/4 to 1/2 oz, Yo Zuri Pins Minnows, Mirrodines, and alot of DOA Shrimp. So I am covering all "prey" categories. I went Saturday and Sunday... Walked 1 mile North each time tossing the Goofy Jigs... With a sea robin and a few jacks and a flounder to show. I usually get there around 5pm, get frustrated after an hour an leave. Am I leaving too soon? Is it "that time of year" ? (not snook, more pompano, flounder, etc. As I have a snook spot inshore wading that produces enough). I had a guy down there tell me "give it a few weeks, fall run"....I guess what I am getting at is I have a few days to fish in the next week or so.... Am I better off hitting my inshore wading haunts, or should I try the last hour of daylight on the beaches. Tnx

Replies

• Shore Catch FishingShore Catch Fishing Posts: 127 Officer
    Alright, so far this "summer" I have ventured down to Turtle Beach at least a dozen times looking for pomps and flounder. If not more. In those dozen trips, Ive been skunked at least 8 of those. I try to time it with the incoming/high tides, as this proved to be successful on the East Coast while I was there.... I am an artificial guy. Throwing the book.... Pompano jigs (as in the Goofy jigs), white bucktails in 1/4 to 1/2 oz, Yo Zuri Pins Minnows, Mirrodines, and alot of DOA Shrimp. So I am covering all "prey" categories. I went Saturday and Sunday... Walked 1 mile North each time tossing the Goofy Jigs... With a sea robin and a few jacks and a flounder to show. I usually get there around 5pm, get frustrated after an hour an leave. Am I leaving too soon? Is it "that time of year" ? (not snook, more pompano, flounder, etc. As I have a snook spot inshore wading that produces enough). I had a guy down there tell me "give it a few weeks, fall run"....I guess what I am getting at is I have a few days to fish in the next week or so.... Am I better off hitting my inshore wading haunts, or should I try the last hour of daylight on the beaches. Tnx

For the most part beaches are just migratory routes. Fish travel down them but unless there is bait or structure to hold them they'll continue on. If bait is present there is a good chance something is nearby, scarce bait and beach fishing is generally quite slow. A little too warm for good showings of flounder and pompano.

That guy is right about the "fall run". Every October i specifically target Tarpon off the beach and have jumped as many as 9 in one evening. When the mullet and pilchards black out the beaches it's like planet earth. Top to bottom of the food chain. I grew up beach fishing and have caught just about everything but the deep pelagics from shore. It can be incredibly frustrating but when it fires you'll be glad your there.