Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

How to Rig a Ballyhoo

I made the video a few weeks ago and thought i would share it for those of you who would like to know.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNvJg4Q-cnE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU2vLnn7SYBjThTrEpAPTFkQ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Smittys Fishing Team
20ft. Scout 150 Yamaha
YouTube.com/user/heyboy96
paypallogo.png
Vertical jigs, bucktails, trolling lures, Deep Drop Rigs and more!

Replies

• nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    Cool clip. Have you ever used one of those bait springs instead of copper wire? I use them a lot. Super fast and easy. Bait doesn't drag any differently either.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • SmittysTeamSmittysTeam Posts: 145 Officer
    nbseafrog wrote: »
    Cool clip. Have you ever used one of those bait springs instead of copper wire? I use them a lot. Super fast and easy. Bait doesn't drag any differently either.

I've never tried those springs. I'll have to give it a shot one day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Smittys Fishing Team
    20ft. Scout 150 Yamaha
    paypallogo.png
  • t-luvt-luv Posts: 269 Officer
    I use the same method except I use small rubber bands. That seems to be quick and works as well.
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    how do you thaw a pack of frozen ones and prep the night before and keep them fresh for the morning?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,243 Admiral
    gsweaver wrote: »
    how do you thaw a pack of frozen ones and prep the night before and keep them fresh for the morning?

LOTS of SALT
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • t-luvt-luv Posts: 269 Officer

I just let them thaw out on their own. Don't put them in water to thaw. The biggest thing is when you buy frozen ballyhoo make sure their eyes are not red or yellowish. And yes by letting them soak in an icey salt brine works good as well.
  • jjimenez1jjimenez1 Posts: 129 Officer
    Great video. Would you use the same method if rigging on wire to troll for kings on a planer?

Take care,

Julio
    jjimenez1 wrote: »
    Great video. Would you use the same method if rigging on wire to troll for kings on a planer?

Take care,

Julio

If it was up to me, yes i would.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Smittys Fishing Team
    20ft. Scout 150 Yamaha
    paypallogo.png

I usually would buy a pack of frozen from the tackle/ bait shop or if i had caught any i would use them. What i do is put the back in saltwater and wait till they thaw. Then when they are thawed i rig them and get a tray and place all the rigged ballyhoo in it. I then put brine over them and let them and the tray sit over ice the whole night until the morning.

Hope i could help.
    -Chris
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Smittys Fishing Team
    20ft. Scout 150 Yamaha
    paypallogo.png
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Captain

Best I would reccomend is thaw them out dont let them get to room temp and brine them in ice water and salt once they are rigged lay them on a tray or a flat and lightly coat with salt and let them sit on top of ice in a cooler make sure the plug is pulled or all progress will be lost. toughens them up a bit they pull longer

I have never used that method of rigging but hey if it works for you and it's what you know stick with it. I have always used a regular 9/0 80-100 pound mono and copper wire and a rigging needle making all needed holes with needle and I do a few wraps thru the eyes to hold the gills shut then come up through the hole the you are making with the wire and then just give it 8-10 wraps and snap the bill it's fast and works great. I like your tip on breaking the back only about half way up I'll have to try that next time I rig some and see how I like it
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    Nice video.I don't know how many of those rigs you make a year, but you would save time and money if you got the springs and bump up to 150 test leader with a nice forged hook.The rig would last you a year or more depending on usage of course.And you'd eliminate all that wire cost.:wink
    Those springs are ridiculously easy to use!

So UltraPlayer, you don't feel that the heavier leader affects the track/motion of the bait obviously. I use seawitches and heavier skirts when the sun is directly overhead and/or the seas are extra smooth. That means the leader is in the water. Do you think that would matter to the dolphin if using a50lb leader?
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral

So UltraPlayer, you don't feel that the heavier leader affects the track/motion of the bait obviously. I use seawitches and heavier skirts when the sun is directly overhead and/or the seas are extra smooth. That means the leader is in the water. Do you think that would matter to the dolphin if using a50lb leader?

Dolphin that hit trolled lures are so fired up they will hit a brown **** with skirt on it...
    Dolphin that hit trolled lures are so fired up they will hit a brown **** with skirt on it...

Often, that is the case. But I've definitely had days where those fired up dolphin demonstrated a preference for color or action, consistently choosing one bait over another. With that said, do you prefer corn or peanuts with your turds? I imagine too much of either could affect how the **** tracks, though I've never tested this theory.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick

Nope. They are hunters that like to kill anything in site if they are tempted.I use #150 because you can be more agressive with them and close drag shut.Also when along side you can just reach over and toss them in with no worries and not have to worry about the leader getting shaved.I've used in all conditions and has never failed me.Now the hook is a different story..
    Thanks for the intel, Ultra! A couple of years ago, I picked up a couple of leader spools in the 120-150lb range when one of the tackle shops was going out of business. I didn't have a need at the time but the price was right. When I re-rig my skirts, I'll use 150lb on a couple and try it out. I can definitely see the advantage for dolphin and the occasionally favorably hooked wahoo.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
    Thanks for the intel, Ultra! A couple of years ago, I picked up a couple of leader spools in the 120-150lb range when one of the tackle shops was going out of business. I didn't have a need at the time but the price was right. When I re-rig my skirts, I'll use 150lb on a couple and try it out. I can definitely see the advantage for dolphin and the occasionally favorably hooked wahoo.

YUUUUUUP...I figured you'd pick up on the possible wahoo..lol GL