throttle & shifter cable replacement

bmmcbmmc Posts: 70 Greenhorn
2002 pro line sport 20.hard shifting.replaced quicksilver binnacle control but believe I need to replace the cables as they are original.have heard this is a PITA task.any advice,tips or tricks before I begin?

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,173 Captain
    I've done mine twice in the past year (installed a new motor, then installed new cables later). In my boat it's pretty easy, but I could see it getting bad if there's tons of wires crammed in the pipe going from the CC to the back. The first time I used the old ones to pull the new ones through (taped them together)... this last time I just pushed the new ones through by themselves, one at a time. This way was easier for me.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • bmmcbmmc Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I've done mine twice in the past year (installed a new motor, then installed new cables later). In my boat it's pretty easy, but I could see it getting bad if there's tons of wires crammed in the pipe going from the CC to the back. The first time I used the old ones to pull the new ones through (taped them together)... this last time I just pushed the new ones through by themselves, one at a time. This way was easier for me.
    was your boat a pro line?
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    use 1/8 inch nylon rope to tie the old end of the control cable to the new one. do this on the conduit with several wraps tighten it down and pull till it slips tight on the mounting sleeve on the cable. use electrical tape to tape the rope to the threaded metal portion of the control cable. You need to wrap it tight enough to eliminate it catching on stuff when using the old cable to pull the new one thru the rigging tube. You may want to do it in two steps once to the bilge and from the bilge to engine. Use an assistant on this, have someone feed the new one in while the other pulls. The real pain comes with the rigging tube at the motor. between the battery cables, control cables, engine harness's and fuel lines the rigging tube can be real tight. Add to that the several bends and this job gets a lot more frustrating. what ever you do don't try and force things. when it get stuck, reverse direction slightly and try again. On the rig tube, try physically moving the rig tub as you pull and push the cable. Some dishwashing detergent can be rubbed on the cable for lubrication if needed.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew