Sea Star Tie Rod?

Tangled UpTangled Up Posts: 92 Deckhand
could a bad setting on the tie rod loacted between both motors cause my boat to lean to one side on plane? I check the hull for water and there is none, and I checked for fuel coming out of the port tank and starboard tank uneven and they are within a gallon or two of each other. The boat sitting at the dock is level, but one underway it starts to lean to the starboard side. When I turn to the left it tries to level out. This causes me to have to use the tab on the port side to compensate. :banghead

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Is this a new boat, new to you, or one that has had some modifications made to it recently?
    A Tie- rod adjustment would only affect the toe-in or toe-out of the motors shouldn't affect ride attitude.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Tangled UpTangled Up Posts: 92 Deckhand
    I have had the boat since new. The sea star cylinders were replaced a year and a half ago. This is when i believe this started. Could be wrong though

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,018 Officer
    What about the trim tabs. Are they both tight and secure? Is the listing there with both tabs raised completely up and out of the way?
    Is the boat kept on a trailer that might be causing a hook to develop in the hull? Anything else added, like a thru hull transducer with a fairing block? :huh

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    What about the trim tabs. Are they both tight and secure? Is the listing there with both tabs raised completely up and out of the way?
    Is the boat kept on a trailer that might be causing a hook to develop in the hull? Anything else added, like a thru hull transducer with a fairing block? :huh

Tabs work perfect. Boat leans to starboard with both tabs fully up. Did not add anything under the boat or to the hull. Boat sits on a boat lift.

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    How does the boat sit at rest?

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    Catmandew wrote: »
    How does the boat sit at rest?

CMD

Ok so today I worked on the boat or a least tried. First I lowered the boat in the water and did notice right off the bat the boat is listing to the starboard side (right). So then I measured the toe. toe looked pretty good. So I took the boat out and made a small adjustment in the tie rod which did get the cylinders even on both motors. I ran the boat and it still had the same lean to the right. So now I am thinking there may be a ton of water on the right side but where? My hatches are dry all over the boat. The bidge has a very small amount of water in it. How could a substantial amount of water be in the boat on the right side. There is no way for it to get in. I even checked under my rub rail all the way around the boat and it is sealed good. The only way I can check for water is to open two sealed access hatches. One on the euro transon deck looks like a 10inch circle and the other is a rectangular shape deck place which is of course half under the leaning post. So I guess I would have to remove the leaning post and pull that hatch. The leaning post screws are in so tight The lean when the boat sits at the dock is quite noticeable. I'd say it's off around two inchs.
    This has been this way for quite some time. If anyone has any input I would be happy to investigate.
    On top of the above problem, my raymarine unit e120 screen decided to go dull to the point where I can't see it anymore. I tried to get that out of the boat and I can't seem to get the cover off to get to the screws. Don't want to crack the cover because they don't make it anymore. Does anyone have a tip to get that cover off so I can get to the screws?
    Thanks Randy
    Finally got the e120 out.

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,018 Officer
    There could possibly be water on the far right section of the bilge and the stringer is acting as a dam and not letting it drain down to the center to be pumped out. See if you can access that area, or else from the center of the bilge, poke along the rear bottom of the stringer and look for a drain hole that might be plugged up.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    There could possibly be water on the far right section of the bilge and the stringer is acting as a dam and not letting it drain down to the center to be pumped out. See if you can access that area, or else from the center of the bilge, poke along the rear bottom of the stringer and look for a drain hole that might be plugged up.

took off the pie plate on the euro transom floor and looked in there. looks like there is water trying to seep through from the bulkhead. I can not get my arm up that for to poke around. I am waiting to hear from Contender on where I can access the space that might be holding water.