wax it or not

easydayseasydays Posts: 36 Greenhorn
I just finished applying On/Off to the bottom hull of my boat. My question is , do I need to wax it afterwards or leave it the way it is? It doesn't say anything on the directions on the bottle. Help me before I get it wet.

Replies

• BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 520 Officer
    Yes, you should apply a polymer polish or a wax to seal and protect the surface you just cleaned.
  • easydayseasydays Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Divado7Divado7 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    This is coming from someone that does professional boat/yacht detailing for a living.

The front V of your hull I would say yes wax that to keep it shiny with the rest of the boat. But unless you feel like crawling under your trailer and waxing the bottom of your boat(alot of work) Its not gonna hurt if you dont...Just reapply on/off and wash off next time you get the orange water line stains...
    Have your boat professionally detailed.
    www.superiorboatdetailing.com
    Clearwater, FL
    I'm a boat detailer? Ha!! Not so much.
    We only have 40 years of experience so I guess my opinion doesn't count, but here it is again:

Utilizing a polymer polish (not a wax) will create a barrier to grime and stains, thus keeping the bottom cleaner than if it were not treated. Having done this on my own boats I can speak from experience that it does in fact make a huge difference.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,117 Officer
    I have to agree with bill
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,848 Captain

Utilizing a polymer polish.
    Polymers are not a "polish"....no matter if they are Teflon ,PTEF, acrylic or ceramic.

They are "protectants"............... just because they can, on the microscopic level glaze the surface,
    does not constitute a "polish".
    Now don't get me wrong folks . The acyclic and ceramics are considered actual "coatings". Whereas the synthetic knockoffs of Teflon are simply and purly protectants.
    Dude, PTEF Polish is absolutely a polish. Look at my dark blue Porsche or black Harley if you doubt that. Anybody on here who has used our stuff will back up that statement. Yes, PTEF bonds to the surface to provide great protection, but it also provides a slick, smooth surface that shines like crazy and repels water better than a black lab's coat.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,108 Officer
    :Agree
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,381 Officer
    Here is an example of what Starbrite with PTEF will do for you.

DSC00722_zps49933932.jpg

DSC00038_zpse6c44aca.jpg

DSC09615_zpsd052513c.jpg

I use it on my truck also.

DSC00678_zps8977d18f.jpg
    "Yeah but it's not a polish" :Glass

BWAhahahahahahahahahahahah That cracks me up :)

Thanks, those are awesome photos.
    I don't know what it is, so I'll just take your word that it's a "Polish". I can tell the other members that it works. It's easy on easy off, leaves a great shine, keeps blood and guts from sticking, helps keep growth off the bottom of the boat and makes cleaning the bottom a lot easier. When I polish the bottom of my boat, my top speed increases about 3 to 4 MPH. That lasts about a week, then it's back to normal top end speed. So, the moral of the story is; don't worry about the technical stuff. If it works, who cares if it's a polish, wax or polymer.
    :Agree
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    I use now polish with PTEF for both skiffs and a black tacoma truck. The truck's finish looks like Baldwin piano! Just a sprayoff with hose pressure takes off the day's spray and light dirt,etc.
    It keeps my GW shiny, too
  • tagtag Posts: 8,835 Admiral
    I have never waxed a boat. I wash and dry after each use and store in my garage. Current boat is 15 years old and looks great.
    I've never waxed a boat either. I use polymer polish. A polish creates a barrier that helps keeps the surface clean, helps slow oxidation of the gelcoat and f/g beneath and helps keep the moisture out of the fiberglass (f/g is porous, as anyone who keeps their boat in the water knows). A polish adds a shine as a happy bonus. A decent polymer polish will outlast any wax by a large margin; it's physics, not marketing hype. Polymers bond to a surface while a wax 'sticks' and will wear off al lot sooner. I'm not judging - use what makes you happy, but use something.

Storing a boat indoors away from UV is the best way to keep it looking great - ask any museum. After 15 years the typical f/g boat that is not kept indoors or under a cover most of the time needs a bit of love in the form of a cleaner wax in the best cases, and rubbing compound in the less than best cases (cleaner waxes are usually actually a polymer polish)
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Doesnt a polish remove a slight amount of the surface ie gel coat everytime it is used? Thought you were supposed to use wax as routine and polish only when absolutely neccessary to remove light oxidization?
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
    All polishes, from jewelers rouge to rubbing compound, have grit as a component. The degree/coarseness of the grit is what dictates what the polish can do. Our Premium Marine Polish (polymer polish) is NOT a cleaner wax, so it is not formulated to remove material. The Cleaner Wax we make (which is actually a polymer polish and not a wax) is intended to remove light oxidation, hazing and other 'dead' surface materials so it has a mildly aggressive grit. Our rubbing compound has a buttload of grit. Not all polishes are the same.

I use the Premium Polish on the Wagoneer seen above, as well as on my car, bike and boat. I use the cleaner wax to remove scuff marks on the boat's hull. Choose the product that suits the specific job you are about to undertake.
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Thanks for the info.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
    Darn nice Wagoner. I bought a 1989 new and had it 10 years. Wish I still had it just to cruise around in.
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,848 Captain
    PTFE is Teflon.............. DuPont does not market these products as "polishes"

They were never intended to be "polishes" ...........they are sealers or insulators.

I don't care what Bill from Star Bright tries to sell you.

"polishing " is a process of surface conditioning not sealing or protecting.

My sealer or wax will produce better results if I........... "polish " the surface better.

The smoother the surface .....the light will reflect with less distortion.........thus better "shine".
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 476 Moderator
    Another example of Star brite Premium Polish w/PTFE
    PTEF/PTFE/Teflon is an ingredient used in many applications, from non-stick frying pans to outdoor fabrics. No, it is not sold or marketed as a polish by anyone. It is added to many products, however, as it adds benefits such as the ability to repel grime and to help block UV rays. Is it sold by us - or anyone else - as a polish? NO. Read the label. If it says "with PTEF" that's what it means - PTEF (or Teflon) has been ADDED. Those who have used it know how it works. Those who don't wonder why our boats and cars are so shiny and get cranky 'cause they don't like it.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 337 Officer
    No one said ptef was a polish, it's not its a protectant/sealant.

However there are polishes made with ptef added that produce a hell of a shine, because of the addition of ptef
    + 1 What he said ^
    Just polished my hull today with Starbrite PTEF. The pics didn't turn out very good, but you can see the reflection of my lawnmower in the hull.

DSC05772_zpse07438b0.jpg

DSC05782_zps1222e590.jpg

DSC05783_zps436d2a94.jpg
    Very nice. I love how people freak when I tell them I use it on the car, the Jeeps and the bike. They go to take a closer look, and come back to ask for a free bottle.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,108 Officer
    I use it on all of my vehicles too. Have been for years and very happy with it.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    Produces a great shine and repels salt, blood and guts.

DSC05785_zps92646719.jpg

DSC05787_zps46c270e7.jpg