8/24 Gag

Left new pass with the intention of finding new bottom yesterday. Instead of going the typical WSW, I went WNW toward anna maria. The winds were pretty strong and the current was even stronger after this last full moon.

First did a little trolling for cuda/king near an artificial reef. I find them fun to catch and the small ones good eating. Didn't even have to use the downrigger. The line never had to spend more than 30 seconds before hitting another cuda. No exaggeration - it was amazing. We couldn't even rig up a second pole. Caught 5 and decided to go look for gag.

Found new hard bottom in 35, 45 and 55. I settled on 55 because the nasty brown water was not so bad out that far.

Anchored up and immediately caught short gag. Few minutes later got a nice 27" gag on a pinfish. That's when my anchor slipped off the bottom.

Tried reanchoring 5 more times with the same result each time. A combination of the wind, extreme current and the rocky bottom made anchoring impossible. Its very frustrating... I know we could have caught many more gag. This happens every trip, but this time switching to drifting wasn't an option.

I have a 27" Grady White and I have always had problems anchoring this boat on hard bottom. I have 10' of chain and a #14 danforth style anchor. Out past 100' of water anchoring is impossible on hard bottom. It just slips after a few minutes.

I'm considering moving to the bruce or claw style. I don't like leaving a lot of rode out due to the pendulum effect which makes ledge fishing impossible.

Any suggestions? I fish only hard/coral bottom.

Replies

• ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    It sounds as if your problem might be with the amount of scope you are using on your anchor line and not the style of anchor.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I have a lot more chain on my anchor and the anchor never slips. With a boat as big as yours I would consider adding more chain.

Also, how much line do you let out while anchoring? There are certain formulas of how much line (ie 2-3 times water depth) you let out based on wind and current. You can get away with less line if you have more chain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    I typically do a 3-1 on the scope. A bigger scope such as 5-1 does work, but the problem is sway. The boat will swing 20+ foot off the spot when the wind blows. Some of the exposed ledges I fish are pretty small, so a sway like that would put me off the spot.

I was considering more chain so I can certainly give it a try.
  • CALMSEASCALMSEAS Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Twenty five foot of chain should correct your problem. Also rode depends on sea conditions. Backup slowly, away from wind/current direction when dropping anchor. I have been using a danforth for years on a 30ft. boat with no problem.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'll get!
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Nice pics of your boy and the toothy one . Yes 25' chain should do it .
  • BluefinBluefin Posts: 115 Officer
    It looks like a real fisherman you got there - he'll be out fishing you in the future.
    Thanks guys. He definitely has the knack for fishing. Now he just needs the strength to reel up some of the fish he manages to hook up with!
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,097 Officer
    I really love small cuda they are GREAT eating in my book , Looks like you,ll have a few meals too !
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!