Home General Fishing

Chinese Ebay Braid

Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
Anyone on here use this stuff? I know it's not the best to skimp on line, but for 300 meters of 100lb braid for 10 bucks free shipping, it's worth a shot. I've read abunch of reviews on different forums, and for the most part they are pretty good. They mostly just say its thicker and not as smooth as most braids. Some say the breaking strength is crap, but lots of people report back that the breaking strength is on point. I know it's a gamble, and I know you get what you pay for, but for 10 bucks, why the hell not. I plan to test the hell out of it before putting it on as backing, and cross my fingers hoping I didnt buy crap haha.

Ill post back once I get it, but in the mean time, any first hand reviews?

Replies

• heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    Similar to this brand?

http://360tuna.com/index.php?/topic/8361-spectra-extreme-dyneema-braid/

Doesn't seem like it holds up real well. Let us know how it works for you...
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    I'd take that $10 you're about to waste and spend it on a $30 braid you would have replaced it with in the near future.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Ever heard "Ya get what ya pay for"?

I'd be pretty upset with myself loosing a fish of a life time over trying to save a few dollar bills.

You can get by buying cheap bread or staples......not what connects you to that beast of a snapper you've wanted to slay.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Well I'm probably the only person that's going to post in this thread that has actually USED this stuff. My experience is with the 20LB Spectra Extreme braid in a 1000M spool, the cheap 4 strand stuff. I will try the 8 strand generic soon. I have it on 4 reels, from 2000-4000 size.

PROS:

Strong. 20LB leader has always failed before the braid has. I have never broken a knot or the braided line except once when it got chafed by an oyster bar.

Cheap. 1000M for 32 bucks shipped. You won't hesitate to spool up a few extra reels, or cut some off if you get a wind knot.

More abrasion resistance than most braided lines (but this is because it's a larger diameter than equivalent brand name lines)

Smooth, casts well, not coated with anything so there's nothing to wear off.

Stronger than listed strength (I don't have a machine to verify, it just seems way underrated)

Cons:

No coating, not as smooth as Powerpro or other coated lines, but still casts well

Diameter a good deal larger than other brand name equivalents. The 20LB stuff I have is noticeably larger diameter than the 40 pound Suffix 832 I have on another rod. It doesn't cast as far because of this, but it's still way better than mono or fluoro lines.

To sum it up, brand name is better. But this stuff is decent, and a fraction of the cost. I think when the 8 strand knockoffs become more available the brand name lines will have to step up their game to justify the cost. There's a lot of junk information about this line out there from people who either had a bad spool, or bought from someone who probably sells brand name line and wants to keep selling it. If you Google around you can find tests of various lines, comparing the brand name to the generic. Don't buy the stuff that is the Power Pro lookalike, buy the stuff that says "Spectra Extreme" or something like that.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    Similar to this brand?

http://360tuna.com/index.php?/topic/8361-spectra-extreme-dyneema-braid/

Doesn't seem like it holds up real well. Let us know how it works for you...

Where are you finding 300 yards of 100lb braid for 30 bucks? I have no problems spending that, but I have not seen any at that price, although I have found the 150 yard spools for that price. I am being serious to, help a dude out!

I am still going to try it out. I am going to test it out by lifting all different types of dumbbells up before using it as backing on one of my reels.

Any input from someone who has actually used it?
    Thanks Jim311, I was looking for some first hand experience!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I feel it's in our best interest to continue our support towards the Chinese. Those good people deserve more of our support!
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    I'd take that $10 you're about to waste and spend it on a $30 braid you would have replaced it with in the near future.

10/4

Not about to take the chance on untested line. When Grandpa comes knocking, I want to know the line I have on is going to do it's job. Some of those fish only happen once.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    sounds like if them chinamen strung it up a little tighter to get the diameter down it wouldnt be half bad stuff!
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I feel it's in our best interest to continue our support towards the Chinese. Those good people deserve more of our support!

2e38n0l.png

Yeah better tie on some Powerpro that's made in USA, and attached it to your reel that's made in China, to take out your boat with a motor made in India to burn some gas you bought from the middle east instead. That's what a true 'Murican would do.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer

This literally made me LOL....well done
    Yeah better tie on some Powerpro that's made in USA, and attached it to your reel that's made in China, to take out your boat with a motor made in India to burn some gas you bought from the middle east instead. That's what a true 'Murican would do.

Here is the deal, hopefully and I mean HOPEfully. You purchased the Power pro from an American tackle outlet (or even better a locally owned tackle shop). Same can be said for the reel, even though it's made overseas. The boat may have been made in india, but the local dealer whom you bought it from more than likely fed his family for a bit off the commission and may have injected some into the local economy. The gas is an issue though, however some chains (citgo for example) are mostly franchised and locally owned.

Everything is made over seas now a days, if it has "made in 'merica" on the label more than likely it was only ASSEMBLED here. Don't get me wrong, I will go out of my way or pay a bit more to buy something made here but c'mon...

In this situation, as long as you're drinking some American beer and you purchased your boat subs from lets say...Publix? (lakeland, FL) I'd say you're doing alright
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    sounds like if them chinamen strung it up a little tighter to get the diameter down it wouldnt be half bad stuff!

They will, it's just kinda oldschool style right now, but it's because they're making 4 strand stuff primarily right now instead of 8 strand. There are already a few generic 8 strand ones out, I just haven't tried them just yet, but I will.
  • SteveW_VASteveW_VA Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Jim311 wrote: »

It's hard to argue with this post
    SteveW_VA wrote: »
    It's hard to argue with this post
    Fine then kindly move to the back of the line. Thanks!
    Why does every thread about this fishing line turn into a pro-america rally? We aren't here to talk about politics, we're here to talk about whether or not this fishing line is decent. Why doesn't a thread about Shimano's fishing reels garner the same comments? They're made overseas and nobody cares, but buy some cheap fishing line and everyone loses their minds. Stay on topic or go post in the politics section if you want to rant about stuff being made overseas.
    Lol, sooooo..... anyone else use the Chinese braid from ebay? Also, where can I find 300 yards of 100lb braid for 30 bucks?
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Yeah better tie on some Powerpro that's made in USA.

Powerpro is owned by Shimano.:idiot
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I bought some cheap 100lb Chinese 4 strand braid a few years ago to spool up a 30W Trolling Reel- under ~100 yds of 80lb mono top-shot. I was happy enough w/it & ended up putting some on a big Spinner for jigging AJs. It's about the same price as quality mono & <1/2 the diameter, so go for it... You're not going to break it on a fish- unless it gets cut or your knot fails, but that's true for any line...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    Lol, sooooo..... anyone else use the Chinese braid from ebay? Also, where can I find 300 yards of 100lb braid for 30 bucks?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/spectra-braid-fishing-line

Here's 1500 yards for 55$ so your getting 5x as much
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECTRA-EXTREME-Braid-Fishing-Line-1500YD-100LB-M-/280870201130
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I'm sure 99.9% of that Chinese line is strong. It is just the little imperfections in the other 0.1% that will make it break. In other words, it will only break in one spot!

Send more money to China! Americans already have enough jobs.
    23895.gif
  • Icecat21Icecat21 Posts: 637 Officer

The last few years I have started spooling all my reels with the exact braid you are looking at buying on ebay. It may not be as finished as some top $ brands, but for me and my fishing, I really can't tell the difference. I have yet to have it break or separate. And for the price, you can't beat it.

I quit using power pro after having it mysteriously just separate mid-line too many time fighting large fish. I will never use it again.

That stuff is often made on the exact same machines with the same materials as the name brands.

I will insist on American made things when they are all finally worth a crap again or worth the price they sell for. Many are, many are not.
    Izorline braid made in the US and Sufix profrmance made in Taiwan braid for what $2 more for a better line? It's a no brainer you dang communist!
  • campertopcampertop Posts: 722 Officer
    Buddy of mine ordered a Spool recently, spooled up our Gator rods with it and It holds strong. No better test than a 10' gator dragging in through the reeds and sticks. Seems to be just fine
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 503 Officer
    I've bought a couple small spools of the cheap Dyneema Chinese braid...seems to be decent, not as smooth with the coating as someone mentioned but still strong. My only complaint (and this is something you need to consider) ... is it takes about a month for you to recieve it! If you don't mind waiting, I say go for it. If you want it sooner rather than later...you better take your cheap behind down to Walmart and throw down $30 on some powerpro Lol!
    Mine was shipped quickly, I had it within a week of ordering it. Probably just depends on the seller. I was shocked.
  • Meatgeter941Meatgeter941 Posts: 111 Officer
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Sufix lines are made in Taiwan. Taiwan is a republic of China.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• fishstickerfishsticker Posts: 500 Deckhand

Ten dolla n foety ni cent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moss-Green-Spectra-Braid-Fishing-Line-300-YD-100-LB-/271229139606
    "Those that give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither."
    Benjamin Franklin
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    Bet there are people here that won't buy it at WalMart because they buy from China!!!!! LOL