12 Wt opinions PLEASE

AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 473 Deckhand
I was looking at a couple reasonably priced 12wts to break into tarpon chasing and would like opinions...I was considering, the Sage 1290- 4 FLIGHT and the Redington Predator...any opinions?

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    I was looking at a couple reasonably priced 12wts to break into tarpon chasing and would like opinions...I was considering, the Sage 1290- 4 FLIGHT and the Redington Predator...any opinions?

For the money the predator is a great deal. Check out the TFO’S best bang for the buck, best customer service and warranty.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,270 Captain
    Really hard to match the predator for affordability and durability. TFO certainly does have a good warranty, the problem is it probably won't be long before you'll need it. My suggestion is to hit your local shop, ask a few questions and demo some rods. The echo prime is worth a look, I have no need of a 12wt, but if I did that would probably be my first choice.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,031 Captain
    I have two TFO TICRx rods, a 9 and a 10wt and highly recommend them. The 10 has taken fish up to 80lbs. Note the model designation (TICRx) -it has a heavier butt section that works very well with bigger fish... and they're very modestly priced.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,036 Officer
    I have an Orvis Clearwater 12 wt. and I love it. I didn't want to spend an outrageous amount on an outfit that I will use 4 months out of the year. It casts great. I didn't get it until late in the season so I really didn't test it on anything so I may have to wait until next season to really test it out....unless I come across some big residents up on the rivers around Tampa.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • ZhunterZhunter Posts: 226 Deckhand
    I second Michael

No way you can beat TFO's BVK

I have one 12 wt, two 10's, one 9 and a TFO Mangrove in 12 which is also an awesome rod.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 188 Deckhand
    AA: Any 12 made in the last 10 years will work so find the least expensive used would be my suggestion and if it's stiff with a traditional 12 head profile...try a 13 or a 12 RIO OTB or Wulff Bermuda Shorts...

BTW MR If you had only not expended the Million on that Key West waterfront home and the 90 Thou on that custom skiff and the 40 thou on the titanium trailer towed by your BMW 750 you could be like me suffering with a bus ride to Rainbow Bend...anchored in an ancient 15 Whaler...but casting either a used Xi2 12 or new Xi3 12 and alas being ignored by the fish
  • BBearBBear Posts: 33 Deckhand
    If you are not planning on traveling with the rod on an airplane, do yourself a favor and check out a one piece. I have a 4 piece 12wt and an 11wt one piece and I have beat fish quicker with the 11wt one piece. I have a Loomis 1-piece and I love it. I haven't fought a fish on the Echo Prime yet but I hear it is a nice rod.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    BTW MR If you had only not expended the Million on that Key West waterfront home and the 90 Thou on that custom skiff and the 40 thou on the titanium trailer towed by your BMW 750 you could be like me suffering with a bus ride to Rainbow Bend...anchored in an ancient 15 Whaler...but casting either a used Xi2 12 or new Xi3 12 and alas being ignored by the fish[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO I've told you a million times not to exaggerate! Give me a couple weeks notice next time you come to the keys...so I can run back to Hallandale! PS my 12 wt BVK casts very much like my CC Pro 1 12 wt. For $249 it is quite the bargain AND you can travel with it on the bus!