Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Inshore Fishing This past week

Well I am back to reality and ran a few trips this past week. Left POI the past few days as the sun was coming up. Glad to be back home and on waters I know. All the trips were basically the same. The redfish bite is pretty strong with slot fish the normal catch. I am targeting my fish in the front to one bay back, and the best bait for me this week was chunks of ladyfish on a popping cork, or on a leader with a split shot to a 2/0 circle hook. Bars and points were working well. At the same places I was getting a pretty good snook bite on the same chunks. Snapper are also still pretty hungry and were falling for the same rig. Pretty basic week of fishing as far as techniques. I did run offshore to the wrecks on tuesday and was pretty disapointed with the bite. Nothing was going on, and I moved alot, but just couldnt get it turned on. Maybe one day this east wind will lay down and I can get out there more often so I can get back on it strong, but for now I will probably see yall in the islands. Take care out there
4070abcb0274b336b2c31b841bf8491e.jpg
cee32124fe20dd89dd1b0f5594b28eef.jpg
9f696c3203020d107e482cda68ff8061.jpg
http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Good report and some decent redfish, Capt Charlie. Miss the 10k...need to get down there soon.
  • BeamerBeamer Posts: 113 Officer
    Hi Capt.
    I am heading to POI on Sept 13th to fish for 2 days. I am taking 2 14yr boys that want to catch redfish. I have been to POI one time just to explore so if you could give me a few tips I would really appreciate it. I have a 19ft Pathfinder and i am concerned with all the oyster bars. Any fishing advise and navigating advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Beamer wrote: »
    Hi Capt.
    I am heading to POI on Sept 13th to fish for 2 days. I am taking 2 14yr boys that want to catch redfish. I have been to POI one time just to explore so if you could give me a few tips I would really appreciate it. I have a 19ft Pathfinder and i am concerned with all the oyster bars. Any fishing advise and navigating advise would be greatly appreciated.

PM Sent
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Any tips on catching lady fish for bait?

I used to get covered in them when i didnt really want them (imagine that!) but the last few trips where I was actually trying to catch some, I've been striking out and just settling for frozen mullet.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Any tips on catching lady fish for bait?

I used to get covered in them when i didnt really want them (imagine that!) but the last few trips where I was actually trying to catch some, I've been striking out and just settling for frozen mullet.

Haha ain't that the way it always is? I have been picking mine up off the wrecks here and there. big ones too. Sometimes around Indian key if the tides flowing good, especially falling. But I always keep some, brine them and freeze them when I get into them thick. I hate to use frozen anything if I can help it, but in a pinch it will work. Take one or two with you every trip, and use them to chum points and bars if you catch a few, and bait if you don't. But make sure to brine em or they get pretty soft quick. Sorry I didn't have a better answer.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Cool thanks. I'll be staying at Island Park on Choko this weekend. Time to bring the camper back from its summer home there :(