Deep Dropping Questions

Shortyso20Shortyso20 Savannah, GaPosts: 26 Greenhorn
I am new to deep dropping and am confused about the regulations. Are there any restrictions on Grey Tile Fish? Any other information you can provide on deep dropping regulations to make it more clear to me?

Thanks

Replies

  • Shortyso20Shortyso20 Savannah, GaPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    I should have included the fact that I am fishing in the Southeast Region of Florida
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    Within state waters, there are no bag or size limits on grey tiles, except for the 100 lbs per person limit the state has on non-regulated species.

    I'm not completely sure about federal waters, but I believe there is no size limit, and they are included in the grouper bag limit....but don't ake my word on the federal regulations, since I'm not up to date on them as my grey tile spots are all within state waters.

    Edit: I just did a little research, and I was correct. No size limit in federal waters, and they're included in the grouper bag limit of 3 per person.

    Here's the SAFMC federal regulations: http://www.safmc.net/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=KMfgAnrh1I0%3d&tabid=248
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    When you say Southeast, you are fishing in the Atlantic, correct?

    http://www.safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/RegulationsbySpecies/tabid/248/Default.aspx
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Shortyso20 wrote: »
    I am new to deep dropping and am confused about the regulations. Are there any restrictions on Grey Tile Fish? Any other information you can provide on deep dropping regulations to make it more clear to me?

    Thanks

    Easy question to answer.... They are included in the Deep Water Grouper Complex, If you are fishing for them in waters deeper that 240' you cannot have any aboard the boat because of the 240' Seaward closure. This will be changed soon, but for now remains in place.

    If fishing for them inside the 240' line...You are allowed up to 3 of them since they are included in the Daily Grouper Bag Limit.

    Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com


    Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Shortyso20Shortyso20 Savannah, GaPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    Yes Noaa-Enforcement in the Atlantic. Thank you for your responses I appreciate it. Any tips on locating Rose fish?
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    Got TA Go wrote: »
    Easy question to answer.... They are included in the Deep Water Grouper Complex, If you are fishing for them in waters deeper that 240' you cannot have any aboard the boat because of the 240' Seaward closure. This will be changed soon, but for now remains in place.

    If fishing for them inside the 240' line...You are allowed up to 3 of them since they are included in the Daily Grouper Bag Limit.

    Rob

    Ahhh...I'm not completely up to date on the newer regulations. You're correct, as long as he's in federal waters. If he's within state waters, then the 100 lbs per person limit applies. That's the good thing about fishing off Broward....state waters go out to a little over 500', give or take.
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • Got TA Go wrote: »
    Easy question to answer.... They are included in the Deep Water Grouper Complex, If you are fishing for them in waters deeper that 240' you cannot have any aboard the boat because of the 240' Seaward closure. This will be changed soon, but for now remains in place.

    If fishing for them inside the 240' line...You are allowed up to 3 of them since they are included in the Daily Grouper Bag Limit.

    Rob

    Rob, Not entierly correct. That only applies in Federal Waters over 240' not just waters over 240'. Off the coast of Pompano, Deerfield, Boca and West Palm there is quite a bit of water deeper than 240 that is in State Waters less than 3 miles offshore. In fact last trip we were catching blueline tiles (greys) in 400 feet of water, clearly within state waters.
  • Shortyso20 wrote: »
    Yes Noaa-Enforcement in the Atlantic. Thank you for your responses I appreciate it. Any tips on locating Rose fish?

    Rosies, 850' on hard bottom! Thick two weeks ago off Hillsborough inlet.
Sign In or Register to comment.