Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

growing datils

rwfishrwfish Senior MemberBoynton BeachPosts: 240 Officer
I have been reading a lot on this forum about the datils and am ready to get in on the action! Any tips on growing- seeds, when to start etc. I am a fairly good gardner but have never done the peppers. any help appreciated!!

Replies

• bmmcbmmc Member Posts: 75 Deckhand
    buy the plants.it will give you a big jump over messing with seeds.
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Senior Member North East FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
    bmmc wrote: »
    buy the plants.it will give you a big jump over messing with seeds.

:Agree You'll have to make a road trip up to the St. Johns County area. Road side vegetable stands and Nurseries will have them spring and fall.
    Spring time is the best time to start a small plant. In the fall I would try and buy a 1 to 3 gallon size plant. Then cut it back in the winter and move inside during freezes. The next year it will be even better.
  • rbricklerbrickle Banned Posts: 239 Officer
    Trey, how much do I need to trim back on my datil's this fall. They are over three feet tall now and producing good. Got a few yellow peppers and dozens of green.
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Senior Member North East FloridaPosts: 553 Officer
    Hey Robert, More than you think. I cut mine back around an inch after the split on the main stalk. I wait till the leaves are falling off. For me that's usually January. You still need to water occasionally even though it's just a stalk.

In the spring all the new growth will come out of the splits.
  • gatorrutgatorrut Senior Member Posts: 342 Officer
    I FA DAT wrote: »
    Hey Robert, More than you think. I cut mine back around an inch after the split on the main stalk. I wait till the leaves are falling off. For me that's usually January. You still need to water occasionally even though it's just a stalk.

In the spring all the new growth will come out of the splits.

I don't think I cut mine far enough back last year...got new one this year that is producing tons of peppers...can hardly keep up
    2011/2012 Off Topic Tourney Pick Em Champion:hail
  • Black WaterBlack Water Senior Member East PalatkaPosts: 290 Deckhand
    Thanks I FA DAT. This will be the first year I may have some plants that "hopefully" last as I have moved them in the shade and kept them in 5 gal buckets. They are doing good. I didn't know they could be trimmed back in the winter. I will give it a try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing