Prayers for the Bahamas

Replies

• Ross RRoss R Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I hope everything is Ok.... It looks like Cat Island and Eleuthera are getting it right now. I really hope the Flying Fish marina made it out allright. That is one of my favorite stops.
  • AndyAndy Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Spoke with a couple of the guys at Rosie's last night. They are hanging in there waiting for the storm to pass. They said that they will call me tomorrow morning and let me know how everything is and what they need. We are planning a trip over next weekend to take some supplies and if possible do a little fishing. I will let you all know if I hear anything.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    GT Fish wrote: »
    I was thinking about going over,but if there is no gas it may be a disaster to try to help Grand cay..

That's my main concern about making a supply run over... getting quality fuel for the way back. I'll be keeping an eye out for those type of reports after the dust settles.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Here's the latest I have out of Long Island via Peter Pike posted 5hrs ago...

Hurricane update Aug 25.---2.30 am
    Yesterday hurricane Irene passed thru the southern Bahamas as a cat 3 storm. It entered the chain of islands via the northern tip of Inagua, the eye passed directly over Aklins and Crooked Island. It then ...moved up the coast of Long Island. It is currently west of Cat Island. Even though the electric power was lost I was able to speak with friends in Crooked and Long Island during the storm. David in Crooked told me that he has seen a lot of structural damage. The school has been destroyed along with many homes and the two churches are without roofs. Joel, my friend from Stella Maris, called me several times during the storm. He was unable to give a full assessment because he was riding the storm and unable to get outside. He was able to see some damage that was occurring some four hours prior to the eyes arrival. Part of the hotel has lost the roof. The building next to the bar has lost it's roof. And I hear that many buildings are damaged and without roofs. I should expect the news will get worse as the reports come on Thursday

I have set up relief effort here in Key West. I will post under a separate attachment information. I have opened an account at First State Bank of the Florida Keys for donations. I have also opened up both my offices as collection center for contributions. Axel Urbanick has donated his boat to transport emergency goods to the southern Bahamas. Any contributions such as bottled water, dry goods etc would be greatly appreciated. We need cash contributions to the bank to help with getting the relief goods to the islands and to donate to the Red Cross.

Goods and supplies -Pike Plaza 471 US Highway 1, Key West, Fl., 33040 or any First State Bank of the Florida Keys.

Cash contributions -
    First State Bank (Bahamas Relief Fund) account number 0101286512
    The routing number for a transfer is 067000438

I special thanks to Brian Barroso and Don Lanman of First State Bank

I will post details on Facebook as the situation develops. Thank you all and god bless

Peter Pike
    Architect - 471 US Highway 1 - suite 101
    Key West, Florida, 33040See More
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
    And this was posted on the Long Island Runners FB page several hours ago:

we received msg via sat link from long island bahamas: about 23 ppl trapped in freezer and water is rising at grand bahamian hotel at long island. no injuries at this time. can you contact emergency personnel to assist? please verify conditions on long island soonest? -- Kimberly, [email protected]

9 Hours ago from Long Island Runners FB via twitter:

All of the islands in the southern region of the Bahamas are experiencing devastating effects. Reports coming out of Acklins are that some homes have been swept away especially at Lovely Bay. Winds in Exuma are topping more than 100 miles per hour.

Instead of me copying and posting... Here's their FB link: http://www.facebook.com/LongIslandRunner?sk=wall#!/LongIslandRunner

Peter Pike was born and raised on Long Island, but now lives here in Key West and still has family there on Long Island.

Rob

• lhouck23lhouck23 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    If it is a 2 day 1 night trip to Grand / Walkers I am ok on Gas. I can easily get there and back with fuel left over. Would be nice to run with somebody elses and carry over few hundred pounds of supplies. I think it needs some organization though to maximize benefit. Any contact with organizations, Martin County Red Cross etc?
    27 Contender :D
    Stuart, FL
    Pirate's Cove Marina
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • producebproduceb Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Andy wrote: »
    Spoke with a couple of the guys at Rosie's last night. They are hanging in there waiting for the storm to pass. They said that they will call me tomorrow morning and let me know how everything is and what they need. We are planning a trip over next weekend to take some supplies and if possible do a little fishing. I will let you all know if I hear anything.

Most likely phones will be out for sometime, I would imagine even the cell tower will be out , hopefully not. I will most likely be headed over Monday either by plane to do a quick check or by boat. If anyone hears news on Grand keep us updated. Thanks
  • Tide Up 2Tide Up 2 Posts: 136 Deckhand
    lhouck23 wrote: »
    If it is a 2 day 1 night trip to Grand / Walkers I am ok on Gas. I can easily get there and back with fuel left over. Would be nice to run with somebody elses and carry over few hundred pounds of supplies. I think it needs some organization though to maximize benefit. Any contact with organizations, Martin County Red Cross etc?

We could do the same with our boat. Keep us in mind if anything gets organized.

Dave
    GrandCayJuly2011084-2.jpg
    Previously "Sunliner" on the forum
  • Buccanr1Buccanr1 Posts: 437 Deckhand
    As far as water in fuel goes, West End has brand new pumps. Not sure about the tanks. I guess if its all underwater its doesnt mean squat anyway.

Already contacted my Dad about a recon mission to check on our family's house in OBB. Im thinking West End should be fine though.
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    LOL Bad photoshop job.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Fox reported a gust of 146 on Cat today
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Buccanr1 wrote: »
    Already contacted my Dad about a recon mission to check on our family's house in OBB. Im thinking West End should be fine though.
    Not too sure about OBB. The eye has been sitting over Marsh for the last hour at least. There is going to be a significant surge on the North side of Grand Bahama and I think West End will be affected. Land lines are still operational in Freeport, but no power which was wisely shut down for safety reasons. Real concern for Rosie and others up that way as the storm is in the pause mode and they are getting hammered.
    Cytranic wrote: »
    This picture was taken in PR after the storm surge

HiPkB.jpg

Cytranic, I'd really like to keep this thread on topic please. It's headed in a very positive direction in helping our friends out in the islands. That's what this thread is about.

• GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    I'm thinking Grand Cay will need the most help. They are taking a beating right now...
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    GT Fish wrote: »
    I'm thinking Grand Cay will need the most help. They are taking a beating right now...

I agree as they are the most isolated. FWIW, in 04', when I ran a load of relief supplies over, the word was that they would waive the customs fee, when I got to WE, the customs guy wanted to charge me, there was a brief "discussion" and he ended up letting us in without paying, and that was with WE having a tidal surge that went completely over the island from the N to the S. I would not assume a freebie but I would certainly ask.
    Anyone get any news about Grand?
    Nothing yet, tried calling over this morning but the phones are down (to be expected). I got the below information for the newspaper in Grande

NEMA begins assessment, Bahamians start cleanup after Irene

Published On:Friday, August 26, 2011

9am – We are still waiting on OFFICIAL reports out of Abaco and Eleuthera, but have culled reports from people we know who have managed to get some information from friends and family and will provide that for you. Keep in mind we have not actually spoken with the Administrators there and NEMA has provided no information yet. It appears telecommunications has gone down on Abaco as well post Irene. These reports appear to have come in before the back end of Irene came through, so damage could have been worse by the time all is said and done.

Elbow Cay - Although the island will require a lot of cleanup, there was no major damage done to structures. Minimum damage reported in the Hope Town Harbour. White Sound dune and Abaco Inn ridge badly eroded.

Guana Cay – Everyone is fine, but no damage assessment has come in as it was too windy.

Elbow Cay report. Structuraly everything fine. major cleaning up. white sound dune down again. Abaco Inn ridge erroded badly. nothing from north end.

8am – This morning NEMA has provided a very basic overview of the information coming out of the central and northwestern Bahama Islands that were hit last night by Hurricane Irene. They say there is very little information available out of parts of Eleuthera and Cat Island because telecommunications have gone down and so they have been unable to get in touch with their point people on the ground. NEMA is making plans to send teams into those islands and into areas reporting extreme damage sometime today.

* Cat Island, initial report is that every utility pole on the island is down.
    * Exuma - very little official information, other than lots of shingles were lost on homes and buildings.

* Acklins - By far the most extreme and devastating damage reports coming out of this island. According to NEMA, 17 homes were completely destroyed, 29 suffered major damage and are deemed uninhabitable and 84 more homes suffered minor damage.

Grand Bahama - From people we've spoken with, there was no major damage, however the Grand Bahama International Airport is severely flooded again and cannot open. Flood prone Queen's Cove neighbourhood is also under water.

Eleuthera - again, very little official information has been made available from NEMA. They did report that the Rock Sound Airport was compromised due to flooding.
    All is well on Grand. NO ONE HURT. Trees down and no power or cell service.

That is good to hear. Did you hear if there was much damage?
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    tree's and powerlines down :)
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,150 AG
    I'm free and clear after next Weds so if anyone needs a crewmember, cargo loader, supply buyer, etc, let me know.......

When Dpdash and I ran over to West End/Bootle Bay in 04 in his 26 Intrepid, we tried to "think" about what supplies they'd really need. Racks of water of course, but consider how heavy they can be as Doug stacked a bunch of racks on the floor in the cabin head and the weight ended up cracking the floor! So "think" about what gets loaded where and consider the "balance" of the boat when running.

Consider if they might not have refrigeration over there as well. Taking fresh milk over with no way to keep it cold might not be a good thing. Taking some things over in a styrofoam/disposable cooler that you can leave behind might be a good thing. Frozen foods packed in tight with newspaper tucked in tightly over the top would stay cold/cool/fresh for a few days in a cooler. Cleaning supplies like bleach, detergents, toilet paper, paper towels, big garbage bags, etc would probably be a good thing to bring......

When Doug and I ran supplies to Bootle Bay, we knew ahead of time that they had a gas generator so we bought some gas cans and took gas over to run it with.
    produceb wrote: »
    That is good to hear. Did you hear if there was much damage?

Don't know how much damage.

GUANA CAY REPORT from Lisa Roberts: Lotsa trees down and related damage. Most of the docks on the Sea of Abaco side of Guana are gone. No one injured and they are working to clear the roads and tree damage. Docks at Orchid Bay did sustain some damage but they are repairable.

MARSH HARBOR REPORT from Kevie Thomas: Everyone is safe. I still can't get a confirmation on airport opening, but the news crew say they are flying out by charter at noon. So Cherokee may be open. We have no phones on the island to call and find out, taxis out there say they are not open at the moment. I will keep trying and let you know as soon as I do.

• Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Gary M wrote: »
    I'm free and clear after next Weds so if anyone needs a crewmember, cargo loader, supply buyer, etc, let me know.......
    Taking fresh milk over with no way to keep it cold might not be a good thing.

Gary,
    I think Costco has UHT milk in 1 liter box which doesn't require refrigeration in fact it might be good to not take anything which needs refirgeration as you don't know how long it will take to get it to the people who really need it.

Andy, Did you hear how long it will be to get the power up on Grand Bahama? Land lines worked throughout the storm, but are down now.
  • FS RickFS Rick Posts: 113 Officer
    Has anybody heard anything from Hopetown/ Marsh Harbor??
    I have not. We are headed over to Grande on Thursday or Friday but want to hear from them first. I would assume that it would be a couple of days. I tried to reach out a little bit ago but no success.
  • oldhatoldhat Posts: 45 Deckhand
    As posted by Capt Dave, no power or cell service on Grand. How did you find this out ? Sat phone ? I tried to call a couple friends there but cells said that no service. I'm going to run across on tues if the forcast holds for 1 to 2. Thinking 20 to 30 cases of water plus maybe PB&J, bread and flashlights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heard thru the grapevine damage was not real major in Grand, they are out of power and phones , but if you fart too hard somedays over there you can knock those out. I hope this rumor is true, I have not confirmed yet. I did hear also that Flanigans house boat sank. None of this is confirmed thou. Anyone else hear any reports?
    A report via Joe Edge on FB:

Grand Cay report - all ok on island. Power on and water running. Some minor damage to a few houses, a sailboat in the mangroves, a sunk old boat that had been in the harbor forever, and damage to Big Daddy houseboat. Other than that "everyting good" there. Many thanks to Clark Balsinger for being the first to fly in to help out !