Prayers for the Bahamas

Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
I am not feeling very good about the potential track of Irene as it currently stands. A majority of the models have it heading right up the Abacos. Anyone who's spent much time in the Bahamas knows of the beautiful islands and incredibly friendly people who make it so inviting to spend time there. I'm going to be praying hard that our Bahamian friends make it through this week.
72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM

Replies

• 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    +1 to that. I dont even want to think of the places that we visit that would have a hard time with a TS, let alone a Cat2 or 3 :(
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    I have pics somewhere of the mess after 2004 ( I believe). We went in 2004 and 2006.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    HarbourView

HarbourView1.jpg

Mangoes

MangoesDock1.jpg

The Fig Tree

THEFIGTREE1.jpg

Guana

GOVTDOCK1.jpg

NipperMobile

FLOODING1.jpg
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • SpectacularVSpectacularV Posts: 136 Officer
    Could not have said it any better. Lets pray it gets downgraded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    :angel:angel:angel:angel
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Nice of you guys to think about the islands.
    I am in Europe at the moment and my wife and son are in Freeport. All flights out are booked, the POS Discovery is fully booked as well. There is a rumor they are going to lay on some charters. Private charter may be the only option to get them out.
    Our boat is tucked away in Lauderdale, so hopefully no worries there. The latest shows the eye path moving a bit East so that is good, if true. That would put us in the NW quadrant which is the best place to be in this situation. It needs to move a bit further East for the Abacos to be spared of major damage.
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Blue Zone, best of luck to you and your family in getting through this. I hate just thinking about a storm passing through the chain. Heres to praying for a more eastward track.
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    Blue Zone wrote: »
    Nice of you guys to think about the islands.
    I am in Europe at the moment and my wife and son are in Freeport. All flights out are booked, the POS Discovery is fully booked as well. There is a rumor they are going to lay on some charters. Private charter may be the only option to get them out.
    Our boat is tucked away in Lauderdale, so hopefully no worries there. The latest shows the eye path moving a bit East so that is good, if true. That would put us in the NW quadrant which is the best place to be in this situation. It needs to move a bit further East for the Abacos to be spared of major damage.

Charter a private out of Tamiami or Lauderdale. They can be here in time for dinner.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    got friends on green turtle, hope this bad **** goes east-er-er.
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,150 AG
    2fastlx wrote: »
    +1 to that.

Ditto + 2 here....... We also have friends in West End and have spoken of the possibilty of a rescue/supply mission over there......... Dpdash and I did one to WE in 2004 and Ninja gave us a ride into "town" there and it wasn't pretty......

I hope that Rosie & Co are hunkering down up in Grand Cay as well. It might be a Cat 4 by then........... Yikes.....
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    at one point, the projected path of the storm was to pass over almost all of the islands. now since it has shifted eastward, bimini and andros appear to be safe from the worst part of the storm.

regardless, the bahamas are going to be hammered. this is a **** shame.

Many thanks for your thoughts and concern. The projected path is inching East, so things are looking better for both us and the Abacos. Dodgey for Eluethera, Long, Cat and Exumas and really not looking good for those poor people in TCI, though; they seem to get hammered every year.
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    Just spoke with our friends (locals) on Lubbers they are getting ready (4 boats and house on the water) and praying it goes east. They ,like most locals, are going to ride it out.
    Gary M wrote: »
    Ditto + 2 here....... We also have friends in West End and have spoken of the possibilty of a rescue/supply mission over there......... Dpdash and I did one to WE in 2004 and Ninja gave us a ride into "town" there and it wasn't pretty......

I hope that Rosie & Co are hunkering down up in Grand Cay as well. It might be a Cat 4 by then........... Yikes.....

Gmon count me if ya do a mission. Hopefully the **** thing will keep heading east.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,150 AG
    Gmon count me if ya do a mission. Hopefully the **** thing will keep heading east.

Looks like I lucked out with the boat out on the end of a 190 foot dock oceanside at Tavernier and will I cross my fingers and say my prayers that "she" keeps sliding more to the east...... Just 50 miles east of Abaco versus a direct hit would mean a LOT............
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    chris and i are sick over this. been talking with all our neighbors. i fear thursday is going to be a grim day for our little paradise.
    2392.jpg
  • TriplewrapTriplewrap Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Afraid you are right, Steve. Looking at the forecast track, That area of the Abacos will have ten hours of 75+ winds and four hours of hell as it passes close-by. The waves heights will be off the chart...
    Prayers out to all who stay..
    Marc
    FS Forum member since February, 2002
    Throwing Money into the Marine Industry since 1981
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    :angel
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • TriplewrapTriplewrap Posts: 173 Deckhand
    Prayers out for the poor souls on Crooked & Cat Island. Both Islands will take direct, and devastating hits with Cat-3 conditions..
    Not much help for them when it's over. There is little help for the Out Islands..
    Marc
    FS Forum member since February, 2002
    Throwing Money into the Marine Industry since 1981
  • ScarabChrisScarabChris Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Yup this is going to be a bad one for the islands. I really hope they can make it with minimal loss.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Having dealt with several of these...I wouldn't wish one on anyone.

:angel

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Prayers sent :angel:angel:angel
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    This can't be good but the people of the Bahamas know this drill and are very resilient. Bad as this is, with help from friends and family, they'll bring back whatever is damaged.

GOES-East.jpg
  • lhouck23lhouck23 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    If anyone has any updates on conditions during and after please let us know. I was talking to a few buddies who go to Rosies often and mentioning possible ways to help. If anyone organizes anything there are several that may be able to donate some supplies, water, small generators, etc along with making a run across to deliver.

Best Wishes for everyone next 48 hours.
    27 Contender :D
    Stuart, FL
    Pirate's Cove Marina
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    keep the positive thoughts, it will help. When the dust settles, make every effort you can to help in any way you can. It was very satisfying in 04 when GaryM and myself were the first boat to pull into WE with supplies. I can make a run with someone Sat/Sun but have to be back Sunday afternoon. My boat is out of commission but am willing to take a load with anyone going. Fingers crossed.
  • Next LevelNext Level Posts: 2,963 Captain
    We are planning on making a run to GTC once we re-establish contact.We'll go as soon as it's safe and we can gather supplies.
    Good stuff guys. Unfortunately, the path has moved back West a bit taking the storm directly over Abacos (Rosie's as well). Grand Bahama looks ok at this point except for surge on the North shore and good chance of the airport being flooded (again). Best to concentrate relief on Abaco. The're going to need it.
    BTW, we've lost contact with our good friends down on Long Island.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    It was blowing 45 and raining in Grand at 8am this morning. Hang in there our Bahamian friends, we're thinking about you! :angel
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • producebproduceb Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    I have a house on Grand and will be headed over as soon as the seas settle down. I will at least take a load of water and food for the locals when I go. Prayers to all the Bahamaians.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    dpdash wrote: »
    keep the positive thoughts, it will help. When the dust settles, make every effort you can to help in any way you can. It was very satisfying in 04 when GaryM and myself were the first boat to pull into WE with supplies. I can make a run with someone Sat/Sun but have to be back Sunday afternoon. My boat is out of commission but am willing to take a load with anyone going. Fingers crossed.

Do they charge you for check in? I was thinking about going over,but if there is no gas it may be a disaster to try to help Grand cay..
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif