Going fishing out of Ponce on jetski?

Long time since I posted. I've always wanted to get offshore but never have had the resources to do it with something reliable. I recently got a new waverunner VX cruiser and have set it up for being able to fish with 6 poles and a cooler. I don't have my GPS/Fishfinder yet but figured I'd start asking around here if anyone else is doing that? If not, maybe if someone that goes to inshore reefs wouldn't mind a chaser boat tagging along some day? :cool:

Here's my setup
EG5GEJ5.jpg

Last Sunday I ran out of Ponce after a storm blew through and it was glassy. I never left sight of land and ran into a little group out there just hanging out having a good time. I tried to see how far off I was with my phone's GPS but couldn't really tell. One of the boats told me we were in 65 feet. I really want to start fishing but want to keep it safe and have little knowledge of offshore fishing. If I could find a weed line that was still in sight of shore would that be worth throwing some lures on? I've read cobia and occassionally dolphin can be found near shore on cover like that. I've gone out with Roger (fishshrimpsnorkel) on the head boat and we caught sea bass one after another (of course out of season)

I know some of you may have bad feelings towards skis but fishing from them has become pretty popular and for me it was the most economical way to get into something that I hope I don't have to keep throwing money into.

Replies

• EastfloridaEastflorida Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    A buddy of mine had his ski set up for fishing, but sold it because he preferred his boat.

I have fished off the beach in my Kayak off Ponce and caught Kings and Tarpon.

I fish the beach time to time for Kings, Tarpon and Cobia. While it can be slow, when you hook up it's very exciting. I caught a 20 lb King in 9 ft of water around a bait pod 2 years ago.

You can tag along with me when I'm not headed to blue water sometime...

You need a VHF (at least a hand held unit) cheap fish finder and GPS...

On a flat day, you could head out to the 5 mile reef. Never know what you'll hook out there. Drop from some bottom fish and slow troll for kings, cudas, cobia...
    "SON-DOWN" 2013 Boston Whaler 210 Montauk
  • eastshoreseastshores Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Thanks Eastflorida. I've heard of people hauling butt out 10-20 miles.. I guess it doesn't take all that long in a ski if the conditions are right. I know in FL you're best to leave early and get back in before 12pm since the storms like to blow up unexpectedly after 12. I'll have to drag a pole out there and just see what I can do trolling around a little or maybe if I'm lucky I will find something to chunk a lure at. I've got a handheld VHF that will work for now (in addition to my cell). I wouldn't feel comfortable ever going beyond where I can see land alone.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,364 Officer
    eastshores wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel comfortable ever going beyond where I can see land alone.

You can still see the VAB building at the Cape from 35 miles offshore.:rotflmao

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• eastshoreseastshores Posts: 77 Deckhand
    CB.. lets go offshore I know where the VAB is!

Edit:
    Actually a serious question, how far would you estimate that you can see the ponce lighthouse (under normal conditions, not super clear not raining)? I wish I could have gotten a good idea how far out I was. I could see the lighthouse and the biggest buildings but they were pretty small.
  • Stealth1Stealth1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    we're gonna be at ponce sunday fishing the inlet may go offshore. if you see a blue key west stealth with a saltwater series on the back thats me.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    I hope he doesn't mind but this guy knows fishing from a jet ski. http://jetskibrian.com/
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • padi1981padi1981 Orlando flPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Offshore fishing fron stuart. 8-10 miles to gulfstream anyone?? Send me a email [email protected]
  • TONY_YNOTTONY_YNOT Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    If the conditions are right you can definitely get out there. Good handheld VHF and a GPS/Depthfinder combo is a must! There's a group down in South Florida that crosses over to the Bahamas in jet skis all the time.
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,241 Captain
    Actually a serious question, how far would you estimate that you can see the ponce lighthouse (under normal conditions, not super clear not raining)? I wish I could have gotten a good idea how far out I was. I could see the lighthouse and the biggest buildings but they were pretty small.
    You can see the condos at the inlet better than the lighthouse, 10 to 13 miles.
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!
  • ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 74 Greenhorn
    I fished from my 2003 Honda Jetski for years, mostly inshore, but I took it many times in the ocean (riding).  As it heats up, you can troll and catch all the kings, sharks, tarpon within 5 miles.  Find an easy bait for you to fish on your ski and become an expert.  My best bait for nearshore was a bomber Long A, or maybe a spoon, you have to figure out what you fish best on your ski.   Shrimp boats will be out and provide consistent action and chum.  Usually at 12-14 miles you can still catch a glimpse of the lighthouse when clear, but it looks like a pin on the horizon.  
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,378 Moderator
    Had a dude on a jet ski pull up to me on the lead wreck out of Canaveral a few years ago. Around 18 NM out if I'm remembering right. Opening day of grouper season - May 1st. Not for me but obviously doable.

Found rays with Cobia on them really tight to the beach off Playalinda last Friday. I would guess they're headed north from here on. Will be tough to spot so low to the water on a jet ski but I suppose you could do it. And as others have said, Kings, Jacks and other species are available in tight at times. Even photographed a dude in a kayak landing a sailfish a mile of so off Melbourne Beach many years back.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    I would have no problem doing it if i had a dependable ski and good safety equipment.   I would not go unless i had an epirb, "preferable an ACR personal locater beacon , waterproof version of course".  and vhf radio.    

We have a 26 foot CC for the way offshore trips, but i would love to have the new Seadoo Fish Pro to run around on, both for fishing inshore spots for flounder, maybe cruising the beach for cobia,,  and a little bottom fishing on nearshore wrecks.     I may end up buying one in the future just for those reasons.