Home General Fishing

Night Time Surf Fishing

FloridaGrownFloridaGrown Posts: 2 Greenhorn
Planning on doing some night time surf fishing for the next few days had a few question and wanted others opinions.
I'm gonna bring a kayak to drop bait instead of casting.
Rigs?
Baits?
Times?
Basically any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Do you have appropriate tackle? 9/0 or larger? That will dictate rigs and baits. Start sharking when the tourists leave, pack up when the beach starts getting crowded again in the morning.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Are you planning on shark fishing? If not, then the tackle is pretty simple. I use a dropper loop rig with pieces of shrimp and catch whiting and bluefish after dark... Also, have one big rod out with a live mullet, or any live baitfish, or even a little whiting on a Carolina rig(use a big sinker like 4 ounces), and you have a good chance at a large redfish or jack or shark etc... I don't like kayaking at night in the surf, I just stand on the beach and cast out my baits, but if you live somewhere like the gulf where it is calm, then kayak the live bait out far, and use the dropper loop rig close to shore, and you should have success... If you are targeting sharks, then don't worry about anything I said hahaha...
  • FloridaGrownFloridaGrown Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I'm not specifically going for shark just basically going for anything fun to catch while sitting on the beach drinking some beers and hanging out.
    I'll have two heavy pole set ups and probably two medium/light set ups.
    What baits would you advise for the heavy and light?
    Should I throw on a fluoro carbon leader also?
    Thanks for the tips also so far appreciate the responses.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    At night you can use any leader, mono or fluoro because the fish cannot see it... Do not use wire for normal fishing... For the heavy rod I would use cut bait, or live bait fish like mullet, or a whiting, pinfish etc... Light rod I would use shrimp... Good luck"