Outta Control IV 48hr FSFF trip 8/2-4. Absolutely wide open fun! PIC HEAVY....

What a blast! Not sure where to start but here it goes....

This trip has been in the works for a couple months & everything came together minus one major player. FS was going to send an intern to cover the trip, take photos, put together a story for the website & Forum. Well, he didn't make it but I found out today with good reason, he was busy working the protest of the lake O discharge up to the North. We'll let him slide on this one but a little communication would have been nice & we could have left the dock an hour earlier. Anyways that all I'll say on the matter.

Wahoodlum (Steve) & I arrived at the boat around 2. We were followed into the parking lot by temptingtranquility (Brody). Brody was driven all the way down from Merritt Island by his grandparents, they were going to stay the weekend in a Hollywood hotel. Super nice people! Soon after the rest of the anglers began arriving & everyone pitched in getting gear on board. As the lines were tossed pleasantries were made, beers/bottles were cracked, lies started & friendships developed.

Crew was Capt Ralph, his cousin Capt Dennis, mates Jimmy & Chris.
Anglers were Doc Dream (Doc or David), Okee74 (David), Sarahs Way (Eddie), Hollywood Joe (Joe aka stinkbomb), Lucky7 (Ernie), Dougmays (Doug), Wahoodlumn (Steve), Gleibel, (George), Cudaman (Herbert), Angryangler (Jeff), Ralph the cook (Ralph), Antique Rolly (Rolando), temptingtranquility (Brody) & myself.

We left the dock around 5:30pm motored up the ICW to Port Everglades then South down to Miami to the bent range marker to catch bait. The weather couldn't have been nicer! Light SE breeze & calm seas. We all hung around preping gear & sharing stories. Once we got to the boat spot everyone pitched in either by catching bait, unhooking or changing buckets that were full. We never got the threadfin to show but we caught plenty of blue runners, pinfish & spot grunts. We stowed away the boat rigs, hit the galley & grabbed dinner while Capt Ralph took us further South to the first spot.

Rolando

Ralph

Cudaman & AngryAngler

Me

Sarah's Way

Lucky7 & Cudaman

empty koosie?

Gleibel, Sarah's way & Okee74

Jeff, Herbert, Doug & Ernie

Bost Lure

Wahoolumn

Gleibel, Sarah's way & Okee74

Some of Jeff jig arsenal, notice the butter knife.

Brody, really good kid & even better angler.

Doug & Ernie

Hollywood Joe

Mr.Passionate

Bent range marker

Capt Dennis hard at work playing angry birds.

Capt Ralph also busy.

Ok, so now we've loaded up on bait & are headed south. The next 12 hour we're tough & uneventful other than Steve's 40 minute AJ & Ralph's mutton. The current was brutal, 12oz was flying in 65' of water. We worked most of the night & until after breakfast. The fish box was sad. At this point we had worked all the way South to some of my numbers just outside Ocean Reef. It wasn't looking good there either. At this point Capt Ralph called me upstairs & he had devised a plan! Lets get lunch started, put out some trollers & make the 2.5hr run to the Islamorada Hump. Once there we would fish it till sundown then run inside near Alligator reef, anchor up for the night, fish for the Mangroves, load up on fresh pilchards, then hit the Hump again at daybreak & then troll home. I brought the plan down to the guys & everyone was in! And we're off...

Once at the Hump it was ON! 4hrs of insanity, drift after drift! Black Fin Tuna, MONSTER AJ's, MONSTER Almaco Jacks, HUGE Banded rudderfish. I wasn't going to tussle with the AJ's this trip, so I focused on the vertical jig & deep dropping the hump. This lead to me catching my first Queen snapper. I also caught a nice sail that we contemplated harvesting but decided not to. We stayed there until the sun fell behind the horizon & the Saharan dust gave us another great sunset. We ate dinner, hit the bunks & woke up when the motors died down. Not many pics were taken on the reef but Capt did take one of the fish finder at 5am right before we left to head back out to the hump.

Herbert on a nice AJ on the jig

George catching a nap.

My sail

SAIL WAS NOT GAFFED! DON'T FREAK OUT! Not to say we wouldn't though.

Doug decides to give vertical jigging a shot & is punished!

Doug WINS!

Ernie's vertical jig BF tuna

So Doc seeing all this action & he wants a piece. Doc is 61 years old, just getting into big fish fishing but is a great learner! After he caught this MONSTER he goes back for 4 more fish! What a great guy!

Doc & Eddie get tangled up but both fish make it to the ice.

Eddie's MONSTER Almaco

Here comes Doc's fish

Nothing but smiles!

Brody & Steve doubled up.

Brody says "Um, I think I have a problem!?!"

Doc sneaks in another one.

Still doubled up & over.

Brody fought this golden hammer head to the leader & then the shark busted off.

Steve's no effort method.

Nice easy AJ & bigger than the 40min one caught earlier.

TRIPLE!

I'll let the last of the picture do the explaining for me. All I can say is this was one of the best trips I've been on, everyone got along, worked together, had fun, enjoyed the food & camaraderie. All 14 guys want to know when the next trip is & I'll tell you this, it won't be long. Ralph & I have talked about anchoring on the hump overnight, which would be very interesting! There's also talks of a Yellow fin trip next May.

You may know what goes into these reports, I'm exhausted!

Hope you enjoyed it. Tortugas here I come!

Replies

• kc hunterkc hunter Posts: 319 Officer
    Awesome
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    ****. looks like a nice trip and a lot of drinking.

• SAMJOECASTSAMJOECAST Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Looks like a great time for all, glad everyone caught some nice fish!!!
  • DAHOGKILLADAHOGKILLA Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Really nice job Ryan!!!!, and the rest of our fellow forum members, a lot of fish and buzz was caught on this trip from looking at pictures.

Ryan, nice experience to catch that queen on a jig??!!

I'm hyped to know more info on the next trip to join you all.
    BIG BOY FISHING TEAM
    MIAMI, FL
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Great job on the pictures! Great way of putting the report. It was an awesome fun time and the fishing was extra. Here are some of the pics I took.

Hollywood put the battle on the table and Steve declined the challenge

Even the bent bait marker was drunker than us by the time we got there

Getting more bait, great to see all working for the bait on this marker

Awesome sunset in Miami, this is the first time I heard Ralph talk about CRANK!!!

Steve was happy it was over, and later on did it all over again with more energy than the first one....May be it was the pork chop protein booster?

Carys Fort Reef Light, where we meet the very happy waving youngster, dad, and family moving next to the boat and drifting with their anchor all the way around to the propeller of their boat, wonder why it didn't start and dad had to dive in the water for?

Another shot of Doc's pool winning fish for biggest caught. One happy man for sure!

Hey Dawg what's your name Doug? Was very happy for the punishment for playing with jigs, elephants eat peanuts too. Hope that extra protein did no go in the smoker!

We all thought it was a wahoo until the line came back up all frayed. Hmmm wahoo got very shark teeth, may be a shark but better think the boat was following a big wahoooooo.

My AJ

Gotta Have a Headshot! Better than those pics popping up all over with people with elephant legs, LOL...Just busting chops peeps, no hard feelings.

BANANAS? What? BANANAS? You ain't gonna catch nothing man!!! "No problem, I did not buy these bananas, the crew did" I think the trick is eat the banana while drinking water at the same time, the water sucks the bad mojo away. Then drink a beer an hour so you forget the banana bad luck thing.

Well, he hooked up to a sailfish on a kingfish jig and let the sailfish go unharmed

DO NOT FREAK OUT!!! This was the second Sailfish of the trip. Jimmy thought it was a flying fish, looked at it closely and realized it was a sailfish after he took it out of the dip net. Took a quick pick and released it.

My banded Rudder, I know sometimes I forget to smile

My skip jack on a jig

Eddie showing off his AJ caugh on a spinner

It was tons of fun, I love to see and take part on fishing trips like this. Most had plenty to take home, and I did not hear a single complaint while on the boat except for the fart bombs, if you were in the wind you ran out of wind and if you were in the bunks, you inhaled them, LMAO!!. The Crew and Captains went the extra mile in many occasions. Captain Ralph and Dennis moved like crazy until we sat on top of the feeding fish. Dennis and Chris were all over even when they tried to catch fish in their brakes. The Banded rudder was such a delicious dinner it was awesome to head straight to a family get together, filet the fish, and have my wife cook it for all. It was even greater to see my niece who barely eats anything devouring the fresh cooked fish. :thumbsup

Until next time all!!!
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,853 Captain
    I am speechless,next time.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Awesome !!! The only down side I see is having to hangout with Lucky the whole time.. :)
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,292 Admiral
    Looks like a blast, that little sail is really cool.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • okee74okee74 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Great trip report.I was impressed with the anglers and mates patience in clearing lines when we fished in the strong current on day 1 and when amberjack and almaco's were hooked.I was kinda snakebit on the hump until Sunday when I got A big almaco.Of course I had no intention of hooking on A blue runner after I saw Doc catch his big AJ.Made up for my lack of fish on the hump at the Snapper spot.Fish consumption has begun.Almaco is tastes great.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    GT Fish wrote: »
    Awesome !!! The only down side I see is having to hangout with Lucky the whole time.. :)

I'm cool, your a tool...
  • Sarah's WaySarah's Way Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    This was truly a great trip. Gotta thank Ryan for all his time and dedication on putting this trip and report together.

From the second I put my foot on the Outta Control Fishing machine the whole atmosphere was incredible. Although lots of us have never met before, it felt like we were a sports team heading to lay a whooping on a cross county revial.

The entire Outta Control crew went above and beyond our expectations. One example was Jimmy running to the stern of the boat, hooking a runner for Docs deep rod, then running back up to the pulpit nearly jumping off it to put the runner in the water. There are countless other examples of the crews tireless efforts for us.

The group of guys that fished the trip were all second to none. Everyone was very helpful and I learned tons of new things fishing with all of you. Herbert and Jeff have me hooked on vertical jigging, althought back to back days of vertical jigging will do a number on your shoulders. I could go on and on about everyone on the trip and would like to thank each and everyone for a memorable time togther.
  • temptingtranquilitytemptingtranquility Posts: 265 Deckhand
    This was truly a great trip. Gotta thank Ryan for all his time and dedication on putting this trip and report together.

From the second I put my foot on the Outta Control Fishing machine the whole atmosphere was incredible. Although lots of us have never met before, it felt like we were a sports team heading to lay a whooping on a cross county revial.

The entire Outta Control crew went above and beyond our expectations. One example was Jimmy running to the stern of the boat, hooking a runner for Docs deep rod, then running back up to the pulpit nearly jumping off it to put the runner in the water. There are countless other examples of the crews tireless efforts for us.

The group of guys that fished the trip were all second to none. Everyone was very helpful and I learned tons of new things fishing with all of you. Herbert and Jeff have me hooked on vertical jigging, althought back to back days of vertical jigging will do a number on your shoulders. I could go on and on about everyone on the trip and would like to thank each and everyone for a memorable time togther.

X2 That was an outta this world kind of trip. I'll never forget it and that's a guarantee!
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    Awesome time fellas! i'm gonna be eating fish for awhile!

Hollywood Joe...i never thought i would see a room full of unbathed and fish drenched fisherman clear a room because of one man's bowel movement....lay off the scotch and beef man! LOL...just kidding good times!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    dougmays wrote: »
    Awesome time fellas! i'm gonna be eating fish for awhile!

Hollywood Joe...i never thought i would see a room full of unbathed and fish drenched fisherman clear a room because of one man's bowel movement....lay off the scotch and beef man! LOL...just kidding good times!

This literally made me laugh out loud....must have been rank!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    This literally made me laugh out loud....must have been rank!

no words can discribe...half of retreated to the bunk area and half to the outside. it lingered for a hour atleast. I was also instantaneous...door closes, mustard gas ensues
  • Docs dreamDocs dream Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Great pics cudaman, yourself and Ryan did a great job. It was a wonderful experience thanks to all you 13 boys and the crew. Look forward to it again.
    Doc dream!
  • Hollywood JoeHollywood Joe Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    What part of "I'm going to need a lot more toilet paper" did you guys not understand?

Seriously--besides first time having air conditioned cabin all to myself, can't count number of firsts I personally accomplished/witnessed on this trip...First beast aj caught...first trip to the hump...first multiple beast aj hookups seen...first queen snapper seen, just to name a few...and most importantly, first trip without any p-ing matches between anglers--almost used to them from just about every other party boat trip I've been on.

Can't wait for the next one...I'll bring portable airboat jet engine fan, as long as Ralph doesn't mind me chopping up one of the heads to install!

Tight Lines all!
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Excellent report!!! Alot nice fish on the docks there!!! Looks like a heck of a time!!!
  • WahoodlumWahoodlum Posts: 71 Deckhand
    good thing that I was sleeping when you caught that tiny Sailfish. I would have thrown into the microwave with some squeeze butter and garlic powder.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Wahoodlum wrote: »
    good thing that I was sleeping when you caught that tiny Sailfish. I would have thrown into the microwave with some squeeze butter and garlic powder.
    what do you think we did? fish on a stick!
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Looks like an awesome trip! Should have taken that sail, looked like it was gut hooked:wink
  • Sarah's WaySarah's Way Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    That sail used up all of it's cat lives on that hook up.
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Awesome Stuff Guys!
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • okee74okee74 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Just a few notes from the trip.The captain and the mates did A great job and made the trip feel like A Florida version of A long range California trip.Cleanest boat I have been on.The new fishing boots worked great-rugged shark.Glad I put my old rod belt in my bag.It was put to good use as I never use it myself.Just think what we might have caught if we had brought coffee.
    Hope I can get to go on another trip,had A great time.Excellent pictures on both reports.
  • angryanglerangryangler Posts: 328 Officer
    Just wanted to share the one pic I had on my phone/camera:wink

Well let me say first, my hat is off to Capt. Ralph and crew of the "Out of Control". Boat was laid out nice, from the galley and kitchen, bunks, fishing areas, live wells, coolers/freezers and the cleanliness was bar none outstanding. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to fish this trip. Great bunch of guys and and great fisherman. The trip started out slow and mostly due to the ripping and I mean ripping current. When we got our opportunity to kill some fish, the assassins came out. Take no prisoners!! We left each spot on the back side of the trip with the kill boxes over-flowing.

I look forward to another opportunity to fish on this boat and if you are reading this and wondering, STOP!, and book a trip!! For sure, you will not regret.

Special thanks to Ryan ([email protected]) for coordinating an excellent outting:cool:.

Peace

AA
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Copout is wide open!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • ReelDeepReelDeep Posts: 209 Officer
    Looks like a great boat and good fishing!
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Dates for next trip are set, stay tuned!
  • carlitoswaycarlitosway Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Has anyone fished this boat for one of their night time snapper trips? I was thinking of going on Friday for the 7p-1a trip but I don't know anyone who has been. Anyone have any insight into depth, best to bring light tackle and freeline a jig for tails grovers? I appreciate any info you can pass along, the boat looks great!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Dates for next trip are set, stay tuned!

I saw something on FB about a Bahamas trip? SAAAA WEEEEEET
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback