Deer hair trimming?? HELP

snook_smugglersnook_smuggler Posts: 37 Deckhand
I've been trimming deer hair with a xacto blade and the trims are horrible! Any ideas on how to evenly trim the deer hair?

Replies

• ColoradoWaltColoradoWalt Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Scissors and a razor blade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuKm69aGuc
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,983 Captain
    Here's how I do it. Rough trim your head with scissors then it's time for the razor blade (but not just any razor will do....). You'll have to look a bit for old fashioned double edge razor blades (the steel is very thin and the darned things can cut while you're just looking at them....). Take each blade and carefully break it in half lengthwise (it helps to use tiny diagonal pliers to hold the side exactly where you want it to break.... You're going to use one side at a time with a smooth slicing motion to get the shape you want, cutting from the hook eye towards the rear. The moment your razor no longer cuts cleanly tosss it out and use a new one. Here's a pic of what's possible....
    [img][/img][img][/img]Razorcutmullet.jpg

By the way, that same super sharp half of a razor works wonders if you're cutting your own rabbit strips (with fur side down and pelt secured at the top a really sharp blade will cut the skin so cleanly that you won't lose a bit of the fur on the other side...). Hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JJDJJD Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    If you are using a rotary vice, you can place the tips of some fine scissors on the hook shank and trim as you rotate. This will get you a nice front end to work from. I finish things the same way that the Capt has noted.

A quick trim of the "nose" followed by 1 - 3 swipes of the razor (depending upon desired shape). A final trim of any unruly hairs and you are done.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,263 Captain
    As always, sage advice from capt. Lemay. It took a while for me to become proficient enough with deer hair to stack/spin/pack it tight enough that I needed a razor. A quality pair of micro-serrated scissors are an absolute must for deer/elk hair. The curved anvil ultimates are the best 20$ you'll ever spend.I have a dahlberg diver sbs on here somewhere that might help you out.