Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Showdown 2013

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Told you Nov 2nd to begin with and I agree with your decision.

I'm going over, anyone else gonna meet up at the Depot Friday nite?
  • LiveFreeorDieLiveFreeorDie Posts: 36 Deckhand
    I think the Department of Interior runs the parks.
    You are right in thinking that. Sort of. But this is the federal government we are talking about.

The only general provision mentioning trespass to "federal lands" is 16 USC § 1863. It actually deals with trespass on national forest lands, and says: "Whoever, without lawful authority or permission, goes upon any national-forest land while it is closed to the public pursuant to lawful regulation of the Secretary of Agriculture, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."

[EDIT: Bobber: Yes.]
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    Saturday 11/2/13: E wind around 35-40 kt. Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Seas 11 ft or more.

11/9, I tell ya!!!
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Veteran' Day weekend. 11/9
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Saturday 11/2/13: E wind around 35-40 kt. Isolated showers and thunderstorms. Seas 11 ft or more.

11/9, I tell ya!!!

Hmm so I guess I better stay inshore on my charter the 2nd.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    Who's stopping by the depot tomorrow and what time? As I have a lot of free time now that my charters have all canceled love to stop by and meet a few folks.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • frfghtrfrfghtr Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    I vote for November 9. is my only day off.
    Who's stopping by the depot tomorrow and what time? As I have a lot of free time now that my charters have all canceled love to stop by and meet a few folks.

Will be there, 6-7ish. btw, you still looking for offshore rods/reels? - we already got a tackle flea market going on Friday nite....
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    November is deer hunting season :nono
  • oxmanoxman Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Can only do the Nov 2 date.
    Veteran' Day weekend. 11/9

EXCELLENT!!! We can have a two day tourney Saturday & Sunday like the old times. Maybe a fish fry at Capt Charlie's house on Saturday night.
  • Chaos210Chaos210 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    What ever day I will do my best to make it. Also I'm still planning on eating dinner at Seafood Depot tomorrow night.
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 441 Deckhand
    11/2 I can do. 11/9 I cannot.
    EXCELLENT!!! We can have a two day tourney Saturday & Sunday like the old times. Maybe a fish fry at Capt Charlie's house on Saturday night.

The 9th I will be at a kids fishing clinic in steinhatchee, so I would miss the fish fry. I'll leave you the house keys tailchaser, just make sure to cut the lights off as the last person leaves. And I guess the same thing for the 2nd, I have a tarpon hunters club banquet that day so that's out for me as well. Still the same thing from me though no matter the date, winning team gets complimentary Florida Guides Association associate memberships.
  • THE OUTLAWTHE OUTLAW Posts: 77 Deckhand
    Tell Nick to make sure he turns the water off n flush the toilet.

;-P
  • LiveFreeorDieLiveFreeorDie Posts: 36 Deckhand
    We do not have many rules in the events that we try to organize for fun, but the one MAIN rule, is that we abide by the park laws and regulations. This is something that we cannot compromise on at all at any time if we want to have these in the future and in other parts of the park as we have been for the last dozen years...

We cannot afford to have the event be associated with knowingly and openly violating the park laws for the future appears to be bright for this event.

Pucker, you remain the voice of very good reason. Postponing the event absolutely was the right thing to do.

I admit to being the voice of civil disobedience... which is not always equated with good reason. There are no specific park laws dealing with the present situation. The federal government thinks that it can prohibit the people's access simply on a whim, or because it can. That is wrong. The prohibition is not based upon an emergency or upon a compelling national public interest of any kind. It isn't even based on some bogus science blaming recreational anglers for all manatee deaths, sawfish extinction, global warming, and the popularity of Honey Boo-Boo. Keeping us out of national parks is being done just to make a point: to make people even angrier at congress for allegedly causing the government shutdown (a la the unnecessary TSA airport processing slowdown during the fiscal cliff/sequestration "crisis"). That is an abuse of power and a slap in the face to the American people.

That being said, you are wise in not involving this forum in that issue.
    THE OUTLAW wrote: »
    Tell Nick to make sure he turns the water off n flush the toilet.

;-P

That was your friend(s), I will swear on a Bible and tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth, that it wasn't me or the guy that was with me.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    LFD . . I am super bummed, but gonna be good whenever the crew all responds. May **** some folks off, but . . . not my fault.

Not sure the FS forum, Lostmans, Alligator Bay, Rabbit Key Pass is the place for civil disobedience. I seem to be coming back to . . . if a tree falls in the forest, does anyone hear it? Go to DC, get organized or use the Columbus Day Regatta next weekend as an act of civil disobedience. The Showdown . . .not really the place.
    Not going to make it to the depot tonite gents as something came up for me. Enjoy your dinner and be safe on the water this weekend.
    Fishing was good Friday and Saturday up north - the snook are there. Weather was perfect, light winds, no bugs. Wheredahell were all youse guys?
  • oxmanoxman Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I was sooo bummed the tourney didn't happen. I would have loved to go to the north but I never have and running around by myself in unknown waters wasn't an option. So I went to lake O for some bass fishing.
    Jeff, that was one of the reasons for the cancellation, supposed to be fun and get us together, not a hassle and frsutrating. Been a long time since many of us have gotten together.

Hearing of a large group of the angling community scheduling a rally on the water in the Florida Bay on Wednesday for a protest of sorts.
    Just checking back in here. Seems things are getting a bit out of hand with the marine waters of the Park. Seems the marine waters should be opened as the rangers are on the water as they always are. I get the rest of the park being shut down, to some extent not having maintenance and other divisions to deal with the day to day visitors. Heard of a few from another tourney that got more than a warning this past weekend.

When the dust settles and there is a more clear pathway forward, we will set a date for the next event.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer

When the dust settles and there is a more clear pathway forward, we will set a date for the next event.

Dust has settled.
    It would be appreciated if you could collect the entry fees Saturday from the 50 boats hitting the Park this weekend and turn the cash over to me at Kenny's around 5pm.
    Thanks.
  • SnookMagnetSnookMagnet Posts: 122 Deckhand
    When is somebody gonna set the new date? Got other crap to plan around this crap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    When is somebody gonna set the new date? Got other crap to plan around this crap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yeah set this crap up!
    Like you guys are the only ones that have crap going on to schedule more crap around.

Excuse, freighter of 755' grounded in Freeport a couple of weeks ago. My day today revolved around that.

I am going to check in with my 8 year old to see if November 23rd works for her schedule.

Check back tomorrow night.