Splash Well Hatch Replacement

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 935 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I guess you can"t please everyone.
    Please drive thru!
    popcorn_zpsed1ce2ae.gif

Hey the good news for you is you don't have to clean it! When it gets some stain on it, no scrubbing -- just go to Wal Mart for a replacement. Ingenious Batman Ingenious. To the BirdCave!
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,313 Officer
    Hey the good news for you is you don't have to clean it! When it gets some stain on it, no scrubbing -- just go to Wal Mart for a replacement. Ingenious Batman Ingenious. To the BirdCave!

Don't worry I won't be losing any hair over it!:drink
    Well (no pun intended) that is because it does require some testosterone and it's not a boy thing so I am with you there. I am surprised though that this hatch they use back there meets with your approval as particular as you are about your boat. Do you really prefer this hatch patch job to a molded part of the same well gel color or is your approval of it more reluctantly accepting what might be functional but not what you would really want? If it was an option instead of the only option would you choose to have it over a molded part?
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,027 Officer
    Well (no pun intended) that is because it does require some testosterone and it's not a boy thing so I am with you there. I am surprised though that this hatch they use back there meets with your approval as particular as you are about your boat. Do you really prefer this hatch patch job to a molded part of the same well gel color or is your approval of it more reluctantly accepting what might be functional but not what you would really want? If it was an option instead of the only option would you choose to have it over a molded part?

Trust me the molded hatch was no big deal. It was a very thin laminated piece with 2 southco compression latches (that rusted pretty bad). It looked pretty, I'll give you that. But it leaked worse than the aftermarket piece. In addition, if you've ever spent any amout of time fishing on the back of this boat. You or somebody onboard has accidently stepped into the splashwell. Well the original hatch would usally crack. The other major difference was access. the original hatch was a little smaller than the replacement. Which made changing pumps a lot easier.

Now I still have that original splashwell hatch on my boat and yes it's cracked. Yes it leaks. what I've done to keep water from overflowing from the baitwell into the splashwell. Is to stick a hose into the gutter drain. The new boats have a different deck and that doesn't work on the newer boats. Once I put the hose in the gutter drain hole. I've never had the problem again.

Now, understand that as a manufacturer of complex products you have to rely on vendors to supply parts. You can't spend the time and effort to manufacture every single part and still be cost effective. Otherwise we would still be be building the wiring harness. Look at any custom boat and you'll find aftermarket parts.

I'm sure if the customer wants a FRP hatch in matching gelcoat, Frank can do it...Pete

Well since all of my parts are functional I have moved on to more important things.:Horse
    Maybe this can be retrofitted for the future. It has a great zipper so it seals tight and nice hardware on it for the bling bling and i'm sure it will look fantastic!

HtachHead_zps49d05591.jpg
    The molded hatch has been great on my boat Pete and has never cracked. I replaced the stock compression latches with 316 stainless versions of the same and they still look brand new years after. The gasket at the hatch wore out but that is easily replaced and when in good condition does not leak - at least mine doesn't leak. As for the wiring harness, that thing is a work of art. It is really a very nice assembly. I don't think you could get much better. If they could pull the well hatch together to be of the same quality and be more than merely a functional fix for a missing mold it will be moving in the right direction. As for an FRP hatch, I don't think it's offered as an option for a buyer to select and would have to be specifically requested. The potential issue there is for a buyer that may not be totally up to speed on it, it's probably not what they would think to ask about given the overall profile of the final product. The well hatch may not be what a buyer may be expecting to see on their boat at delivery after writing such a large check. I think it is not what most would expect to find as a stock part you see everyday on such an expensive finished product. If there is one less than satisfied recipient that actively sought out a replacement for the patch hatch there is surely more. Remember the old marketing lines they used out of Miami about being the best? Rolls Royce of flats boats - nothing better out there.. yada yada.. I guess they are not using those kind of lines any more in the marketing but it is something I would hope they would be striving to achieve at least. For the all of the welcome advancements in the production improvement such as CK and more precise use of the materials etc., I find this kind of corner cutting in the production a bit corrosive to those original ideals layed out by Egret. The hatch is functional but I think its not what it should be and probably not what most would prefer to have based on the cost they are paying (although some may not be willing to openly admit it). I hope to see Frank create a stock part for it for the new boats that could also be used to replace the previous. I think Jim and Scott would certainly approve.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,027 Officer
    The molded hatch has been great on my boat Pete and has never cracked. I replaced the stock compression latches with 316 stainless versions of the same and they still look brand new years after. The gasket at the hatch wore out but that is easily replaced and when in good condition does not leak - at least mine doesn't leak. As for the wiring harness, that thing is a work of art. It is really a very nice assembly. I don't think you could get much better. If they could pull the well hatch together to be of the same quality and be more than merely a functional fix for a missing mold it will be moving in the right direction. As for an FRP hatch, I don't think it's offered as an option for a buyer to select and would have to be specifically requested. The potential issue there is for a buyer that may not be totally up to speed on it, it's probably not what they would think to ask about given the overall profile of the final product. The well hatch may not be what a buyer may be expecting to see on their boat at delivery after writing such a large check. I think it is not what most would expect to find as a stock part you see everyday on such an expensive finished product. If there is one less than satisfied recipient that actively sought out a replacement for the patch hatch there is surely more. Remember the old marketing lines they used out of Miami about being the best? Rolls Royce of flats boats - nothing better out there.. yada yada.. I guess they are not using those kind of lines any more in the marketing but it is something I would hope they would be striving to achieve at least. For the all of the welcome advancements in the production improvement such as CK and more precise use of the materials etc., I find this kind of corner cutting in the production a bit corrosive to those original ideals layed out by Egret. The hatch is functional but I think its not what it should be and probably not what most would prefer to have based on the cost they are paying (although some may not be willing to openly admit it). I hope to see Frank create a stock part for it for the new boats that could also be used to replace the previous. I think Jim and Scott would certainly approve.

You know I was a part of Egret in Miami for almost all the time they were there. I can tell you that Scott was the driving force behind building the best flats boat regardless of cost. That being said. As you know, there is a new sheriff in town...:grin and to the victor go the spoils. Yes I know that a new mold can be made that would be water tight. and look a heck of alot better than a PVC hatch. It could be used on the 16, 18, 2011 and probably on the Mocasin too. Now that we're talking about it I have a design in my mind that would be water tight and easy on the eyes. The problem with all this, is the economy of scale. It cost alot of money to build one little mold. It's hard to justify the cost at a small level.

I can tell you that the are builders out there selling boats that are alot more money than any Egret and they have plastic hatches and cheaper materials.

Egret was started and run by guys that were passionate about their boats. That passion is still there today!

Keep Smiling... Pete
    Egret was started and run by guys that were passionate about their boats. That passion is still there today!

I second that! :thumbsup
    If you ever visit the factory in North Carolina and see how it's done now you'll have the respect for the current owner and his ways on how the boats are made!
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I suffered through this as well. I have the same replacement hatch. Speaking of a clean bilge what is the secret to cleaning the crud out of there?
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,228 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I suffered through this as well. I have the same replacement hatch. Speaking of a clean bilge what is the secret to cleaning the crud out of there?

Flatsboy can answer this. He has been stuck in his many times cleaning his. I leave my plug out for a few days to air dry the bilge after use so it does not mold up.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    :funnypost:shrug
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    :funnypost:shrug
    I’ll take that as a no advice available…lol
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 597 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »

What kind of crud?? Salt Away have any effect?

Plug Bilge.Mixture of Pine Sol and your favorite boat soap, and fill with hose.

Take her for a ride or on the trailer, and soak.
    Hopefully drains clean when unplugged. Rinse thoroughly.
    If not, you're scrubbing by hand.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Follow up on my new hatch. Went out on the boat all day today and took some waves over the back and no water came out of the plug at the end of the day.
    I'll take looks over function any day! It may leak but it looks good! It's Black

hatchcrop_zps573b1042.jpg
  • mike345mike345 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I replaced my leaky splash well hatch with a new one from HMG 12 x 16 . My hatch that came with the boat was leaking water and I was constantly plagued with water in the bilge. The new hatch went in with very little trimming and looks 100% better. Best of all I filled the splash well with water and it does not leak. I verified it with dye and sonar tests.
    Hatch --- > http://store.gotohmg.com/products/Innovative-12%22-x-16%22-Access-Panel.html
    New Hatch

Old Hatch

12 x 16 leak test is the second video down.
    http://www.gotohmg.com/howto.cfm

Does this fix work on older boats? I recently purchased a '96 18.9 and the hatch flew off the boat while my mechanic was sea trialing after engine work. Opening size 7.5 x 14 inches. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    The inside dimensions are 9.5'' x 13.5'' on this hatch. Is the opening size you are posting the size the hole is with the old hatch removed? You are 1/2 inch too wide for this hatch.
    Remeasured it today. The cut out is 7.75 x 14.25 with old hatch removed. The other issue is the area surrounding the hatch is sunken about half an inch on 3 sides (9.5x16 are the dimensions there if I was to cut out to that area) , with smooth transition on the forward portion which makes fitting a hatch cover over this difficult without modification . I will try to attach pictures. Has anyone replaced this splashwell hatch on an older Egret? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    mike345 wrote: »
    Remeasured it today. The cut out is 7.75 x 14.25 with old hatch removed. The other issue is the area surrounding the hatch is sunken about half an inch on 3 sides (9.5x16 are the dimensions there if I was to cut out to that area) , with smooth transition on the forward portion which makes fitting a hatch cover over this difficult without modification . I will try to attach pictures. Has anyone replaced this splashwell hatch on an older Egret? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have the original 96 hatch if you want to use it to have a replacement glass hatch fabricated. You will need to add pinch molding to line the edge of the opening. I replaced the two latches that secure it with 316 stainless thumb screws.
    Thanks for the offer. I will check with my fiberglass guy to see what it might cost to fabricate it, would like to keep the original look, but if pricey may modify and go to that HMG hatch described.
    Thanks
    You could also cut starboard material as well to make a hatch.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    :)

Who's got a performance trailer? Those are right in line with Frank's plastic splash well hatches.
    And Phil, that black hatch looks out of place...... Like someone left their socket tool box in your splash well.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    And Phil, that black hatch looks out of place...... Like someone left their socket tool box in your splash well.

....hmmm....must be a slow day. Maybe try chumming a little more?
    John, you're not at the egret love fest this weekend?

....hmmm....must be a slow day. Maybe try chumming a little more?

I'll just the let the rod sit in the rod holder and wait for the chunk to get picked up.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    No Jason. I am disappointed that you would even ask.

Perhaps you and the crewe could run down from the Chesapeake and take part. Diversity of opinion is a strength.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 491 Deckhand
    Finally got done fixing several other more important issues before I got to the splash well replacement as Renegade69's suggestion. It was a bit of work and needed a tight clearance drill / screw driver but it is in there now. It's clearly a better hatch design as the gasket is attached to the hull side not the lid side like with the factory hatch. It's always best practice to attach the gasket to the hull side as you effectively get a little higher lip that way.

I did notice after I pulled the factory hatch why I think it leaks so much which is more than just the choice of side for the gasket. There are 4 buckles in the hatch but only two need to be undone to remove the hatch. When I then install the hatch with just the two top latches (bow side) undone I noticed the hatch lid does not seat on the gasket at all along the opposite edge (transom side) where the latches were never undone. The hatch is level, but there's just so much play in the design that the gasket on the lower edge is not sealing. I would suggest for those that still have the factory hatch that you always undo ALL 4 of the latches and then make sure the hatch is seated as well as possible along the edge closest to the transom (the lowest edge) before you do up the latches. I think that explains why sometimes it didn't seem to leak much, and other times there was a LOT of water in the bilge.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Has anyone tried to make the Armstrong Nautical water proof deck plate work? It requires a 10 by 20 opening so may be large. If the rectangle DP-10X20 will fit it would be a great solution!
    It would never work. Flatsboy sent one to Egret on his last boat build and it was sent back when he picked up the boat.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    It's a great product but too big I suspect. Your response saved me a ton of leg work - thanks again!