Source for Gurgler foam?

CallinectesCallinectes Posts: 9 Greenhorn
I have been trying to find a good thick foam to make some gurglers and have been unable to lacate any at my local fly shop or craft stores. Everything I am finding is the thin stuff. Suggestions welcome!

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Feather-craft.com . Flyshop of miami has some in stock as well. Suprised no craft store near you has none. Usually cheapest and best color selection
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,198 Captain
    I suggest a straight edge, a hobby knife (the kind you can extend the blades on) and a flip flop. Took me less than fifteen minutes from reading your post to produce a gurgler thicker than my standard foam would have allowed. Thanks for getting me off the chair and trying something new. :)
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,750 Captain
    Our local Hobby Lobby has some good thick ones. You do have to look for them. Not easy to find. Cutting flip flops works also. Welcome to the forum & I do hope you enjoy your stay.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • CallinectesCallinectes Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. Used to be a lurker on the old forums before the new format change. Got the vice out and started to tie again. Looking forward to hopefully contributing some neat stuff.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Do you have a Michael's where you live.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,976 Captain
    I've been doing well with the 3mm foam sheets that I get from craft stores (locally for me it's been Michael's or Pearl's). For those needing thicker foam simply double the sheets you have with a spray on adhesive...

By the way, those cheap, foam sheets... make great backgrounds for close up photos of flies, knots, and gear..... Here's a sample of waht I'm talking about....
    [img][/img][img][/img]bonefishbugs.jpg

[img][/img][img][/img]09fdb937.jpg

I find it's pretty simple to find the right contrast for any given color or type of photo with those inexpensive foam sheets (and I use them over and over again - haven't ever replaced a single sheet for photo purposes). I'll often take two or three shots with different backgrounds if I'm doing something for an article or a magazine...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666