Protest in Stuart over Lake O Discharges...

I ponder if we shouldn't start a sticky for this subject...

http://wptv.m0bl.net/w/main/story/96849068/
attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
«1

Replies

  • benjamin_on_flybenjamin_on_fly Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    LastMango wrote: »
    I ponder if we shouldn't start a sticky for this subject...

    http://wptv.m0bl.net/w/main/story/96849068/

    I'd love to attend, if I didn't have to work every saturday.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    i posted this on a few other threads but thought I will put it here as well. This is the link to the FB page for this event, when I last checked over 1400 people are planning to attend


    https://www.facebook.com/events/513371885399065/
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    raulraiy wrote: »
    As described earlier, eyeglasses come in a variety of designs which will suit people's tastes. They will find the ideal combination of eyeglass frames, lens, and shades to help them meet their fashion statement. Simultaneously, premade reading glasses are also obtainable inside the market place so persons who will need visual correction can conveniently come across the suitable lens for their visual troubles.

    got to love when spam ruins a good thread:banghead
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I am glad that someone is not happy with the discharges. It sure takes a nice diving place off Port Salerno and turns it into a crummy one! In another thread supposedly a judge said that the discharge can't go into the Everglades. I wonder where it could go or if the protesters just want to flood the big lake?
  • monkeybusinessjrmonkeybusinessjr Posts: 380 Deckhand
    They just want to flood the lake. They don't actually have any solutions or even an interest in understanding the issues. Sadly that's the general public for you.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Last check on the whitehouse.gov petition, around 3300 out of 100000 needed before August 18, 2013. I see dont see the participation we really need on that petition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    They just want to flood the lake. They don't actually have any solutions or even an interest in understanding the issues. Sadly that's the general public for you.

    Monkeybusinessjr,

    Would you mind explaining your point please?

    Thanks

    Cheers

    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    snook87 wrote: »
    Last check on the whitehouse.gov petition, around 3300 out of 100000 needed before August 18, 2013. I see dont see the participation we really need on that petition.

    it needs to be posted again
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,760 Admin
    Let's get 2,000 plus at Phipps Park on Saturday, August 3 at 10:00 a.m Plan to March on the Locks!

    https://www.facebook.com/events/513371885399065/
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Monkeybusinessjr,

    Would you mind explaining your point please?

    Thanks
    Cheers

    i believe he is saying there is nowhere else to place or send the water....which is unfortunately the truth right now....and the Kissimmee River is now overflowing it's banks where it has been restored so there is much more coming...
  • monkeybusinessjrmonkeybusinessjr Posts: 380 Deckhand
    i believe he is saying there is nowhere else to place or send the water....which is unfortunately the truth right now....and the Kissimmee River is now overflowing it's banks where it has been restored so there is much more coming...

    This
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Monkeybusinessjr,

    Would you mind explaining your point please?

    Thanks

    Cheers

    As saltysenior said were do you want it to go? It's dumping rain over here right now so better round up a few more folks to protest because your gonna get more. Lake "O" will hit 16' betcha and your heading into hurricane season at full capacity. Man thought he could out smart Mother Nature to build Disney, Weston, and all the other developments built out in the swamps. Now your seeing the results. Best bet would be to focus your efforts toward something that may be more beneficial. This wont change a thing... Guaranteed!
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    If the farmers and sugar cane growers accept the dirty lake o water, they would be doing 3 good things...water will flow south, they can use the nutrient rich water as a free benefit for crop nutrition, and at the same token it will filter the water much more. Its like hitting the trifecta all for FREE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    snook87 wrote: »
    If the farmers and sugar cane growers accept the dirty lake o water, they would be doing 3 good things...water will flow south, they can use the nutrient rich water as a free benefit for crop nutrition, and at the same token it will filter the water much more. Its like hitting the trifecta all for FREE!
    It sounds like a great plan but until we 'own' more federal politicians than Big Ag and Sugar, ain't gonna happen.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    It sounds like a great plan but until we 'own' more federal politicians than Big Ag and Sugar, ain't gonna happen.

    x2 that...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    let them grow rice in the spring and summer and corn and dry crops in the winter
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Monkeybusinessjr, SaltySenior and Cuckoo ,

    Thanks for the explanation.

    I think herein lies the problem.

    Let's take Monkeybusinessjr's short statement and break it down:

    1. "They just want to flood the lake."

    Nobody just wants to flood the lake. The lake flooding is being caused by the current plan which is clearly not working. What reasonable people are asking for is some sort of action/plan/idea or commitment for future Lake O water management. Right now, Lake O discharges are caused by MIS management. As a native floridian, I remember constant water rationing because the Lake was way too low. Months later, the Lake is way too high so purging is necessary. The "lets sit back and let it happens because there is nothing we can do" attitude is no different than a woman who is overpowered and **** by a group of men. Since there is nothing that she can do, just sit back and let it happen? This seems to be what you are suggesting.

    2. They don't actually have any solutions or even an interest in understanding the issues.

    I believe that the opposite is actually the case. I don't think that YOU or the parties to be, have an interest in understanding the issues or that you/they want to offer any solutions because as Mitch said, sadly, there is nothing in it for the politicians to take on Big Ag and Big Sugar. They both bring in revenue to the state and therefore, why bite the hand that feeds you? There was a plan several years back that was going to store the Lake O overage underground and then tapped when needed during the drought months. This never came to fruition... perhaps because it was too costly or perhaps there was no interest in furthering the study. I'm certainly not saying that this is the best idea or even that it is a good idea HOWEVER it was a solution that was proposed. There have been many other "solutions" and ideas proposed over the years so perhaps the WRONG people aren't interested in a solution or just aren't understanding the issues as you have stated.

    3. Sadly that's the general public for you.

    This sir, is an extremely arrogant statement to make. Do you work for Big Ag or Big Sugar? Are you one of the PAC recipients for Big Ag or Big Sugar? It sure sounds so. Please don't assume that "the general public" is as naive/uneducated/uncaring/ignorant of the facts or just plain stupid as you elude to with your statement. The general public is in fact tired. They are tired of fish kills, algae blooms, sick mammals (including humans) and most importantly, tired of the attitude that "we are smarter than you are." Several of the forum members are actually involved in water management, fisheries, marine biology, agriculture and commercial fishing. These members make up part of "the general public" that you seem to mock. Further, forum members comprise of fishermen, divers, boaters, kayakers, environmentalists and even publishers of this very forum that gives you the outlet to belittle the other members which you so eloquently do with your statements. These members of the general public are extremely educated. They have been educated at the University of HARD KNOCKS! I would dare say that these members of the general public are as caring and educated as you!

    You see sir, your words have consequences. If you aren't going to be part of the solution, then don't mock those who want to be.

    I hope you will be at the rally in downtown Stuart but I'm sure you won't because after all, who would want to be associated with "the general public?"

    Cheers

    Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Kprunyi1Kprunyi1 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    ****, x2 that

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    snook87 wrote: »
    If the farmers and sugar cane growers accept the dirty lake o water, they would be doing 3 good things...water will flow south, they can use the nutrient rich water as a free benefit for crop nutrition, and at the same token it will filter the water much more. Its like hitting the trifecta all for FREE!

    I agree. I think this plan is the best one we have going. I think it better to get rid of it this way than dump it in the St.Lucie Canal.
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    It sounds like a great plan but until WE 'OWN' more federal politicians than Big Ag and Sugar, ain't gonna happen.

    I thought we did 'own" them. All this time I thought my taxes were paying their salaries!! Such a sh1tty feeling watching this happen and not being able to do much about it !! I'll be there Saturday.
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • monkeybusinessjrmonkeybusinessjr Posts: 380 Deckhand
    Monkeybusinessjr, SaltySenior and Cuckoo ,

    Thanks for the explanation.

    I think herein lies the problem.

    Let's take Monkeybusinessjr's short statement and break it down:

    1. "They just want to flood the lake."

    Nobody just wants to flood the lake. The lake flooding is being caused by the current plan which is clearly not working. What reasonable people are asking for is some sort of action/plan/idea or commitment for future Lake O water management. Right now, Lake O discharges are caused by MIS management. As a native floridian, I remember constant water rationing because the Lake was way too low. Months later, the Lake is way too high so purging is necessary. The "lets sit back and let it happens because there is nothing we can do" attitude is no different than a woman who is overpowered and **** by a group of men. Since there is nothing that she can do, just sit back and let it happen? This seems to be what you are suggesting.

    2. They don't actually have any solutions or even an interest in understanding the issues.

    I believe that the opposite is actually the case. I don't think that YOU or the parties to be, have an interest in understanding the issues or that you/they want to offer any solutions because as Mitch said, sadly, there is nothing in it for the politicians to take on Big Ag and Big Sugar. They both bring in revenue to the state and therefore, why bite the hand that feeds you? There was a plan several years back that was going to store the Lake O overage underground and then tapped when needed during the drought months. This never came to fruition... perhaps because it was too costly or perhaps there was no interest in furthering the study. I'm certainly not saying that this is the best idea or even that it is a good idea HOWEVER it was a solution that was proposed. There have been many other "solutions" and ideas proposed over the years so perhaps the WRONG people aren't interested in a solution or just aren't understanding the issues as you have stated.

    3. Sadly that's the general public for you.

    This sir, is an extremely arrogant statement to make. Do you work for Big Ag or Big Sugar? Are you one of the PAC recipients for Big Ag or Big Sugar? It sure sounds so. Please don't assume that "the general public" is as naive/uneducated/uncaring/ignorant of the facts or just plain stupid as you elude to with your statement. The general public is in fact tired. They are tired of fish kills, algae blooms, sick mammals (including humans) and most importantly, tired of the attitude that "we are smarter than you are." Several of the forum members are actually involved in water management, fisheries, marine biology, agriculture and commercial fishing. These members make up part of "the general public" that you seem to mock. Further, forum members comprise of fishermen, divers, boaters, kayakers, environmentalists and even publishers of this very forum that gives you the outlet to belittle the other members which you so eloquently do with your statements. These members of the general public are extremely educated. They have been educated at the University of HARD KNOCKS! I would dare say that these members of the general public are as caring and educated as you!

    You see sir, your words have consequences. If you aren't going to be part of the solution, then don't mock those who want to be.

    I hope you will be at the rally in downtown Stuart but I'm sure you won't because after all, who would want to be associated with "the general public?"

    Cheers

    As to #1: Only god can predict the weather. Mother nature simply can't be micro managed unless you can get George Bush to reactive his evil weather machine.

    As to #2: There are 20 million people on a peninsula whose southern half wants to naturally site under 6 inches of water for half the year. No magical terraforming machine can change that. The underground water storage thing was killed by environmentalist themselves so stick a fork in that one cause it's done. Excess water must be dumped out to sea. Period end of story.

    As to #3: Is big sugar causing large amounts of rainfall to appear in a short period of time north of Lake Okeechobee? I understand people need villains and yes I know people in the sugar business as well as cattle, citrus etc. Agriculture is second largest industry in this state, and we are one of the largest cattle states in the union. That was all here 100 years before developers started selling swamp land to snow birds. These are people trying to make a living same as you. 99% of them go to work for most likely much less than you earn over here on the coast. The "Sugar Barron" thing is a joke.

    As far as vested interest go, what makes your interest more important than anyone else in this State? Why is the St. Lucie River more important than Lake Okeechobee, Everglades, Kissimmee River and other lakes to the north? Why do you get to drown the 40,000 + people living around Lake Okeechobee come the next big one? Why do you get get to send water south to flood the Miccosukee Tribe of Florida and Everglades. Is it all so you don't have to look at brown water once every 5 or ten years?

    That, my friend, is the very definition of arrogance. Apparently I mistook it for ignorance.


    BTW, Ron says it needs to be dumped out the SLI twice as fast

    http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/High-Florida-Everglades-Water-Levels-A-Danger-to-Animals-FWC-218083451.html

    .......competing interest you see
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I guess no one wants the C aloosahatchee to take it to the gulf


    We have low water levels in lake Jakson in Highlands county. Too bad we can't get some of that water.
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I guess no one wants the C aloosahatchee to take it to the gulf
    We have low water levels in lake Jakson in Highlands county. Too bad we can't get some of that water.

    Your probably correct they don't want it heading that way but crossing the river every day it's flowing fast... Not gonna try and find the figures for you because your comment on Jacksons level has to be absurd. Fisheating Creek is flooding out the campground, Kissimmee River is flowing like a beach, my yard is flooded in Chobee and raining every were but Sebring?

    Agree with monkeybusinessjr on paragraph #4 X5....
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    cuckoo wrote: »
    Your probably correct they don't want it heading that way but crossing the river every day it's flowing fast... Not gonna try and find the figures for you because your comment on Jacksons level has to be absurd. Fisheating Creek is flooding out the campground, Kissimmee River is flowing like a beach, my yard is flooded in Chobee and raining every were but Sebring?

    Agree with monkeybusinessjr on paragraph #4 X5....

    Wi

    I have a house and business property on lake Jackson and for whatever reason the lake could use another couple feet of depth. There are couple of theories as to why it stays low.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    ahoy ! those going to the protest.....please post tomorrow what the experts OFFICIALLY say about eating seafood from the river......seems to be a non factor...strange with all the other ''sky is falling'' opinions..
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    This is not just an environmental problem it is also a public health concern. Look at these websites about the dangers of Blue-Green algae. Please forward the links to anyone who cares about this issue. I'm not on Facebook so if someone would post them on the rally at Phipps park page I would appreciate it.

    https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemi...nobacteria.htm

    http://discovermagazine.com/2011/may...s#.UfwG28u9KK3

    http://m.myfwc.com/research/redtide/...e-green-algae/
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    Wow!!! The traffic getting in to Phipps park is incredible!!!! Still trying to inch my way up to Phipps.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Estimates were about 5000-8000 people strong! Way to go everyone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    I'm not a good people estimater but there were alot. Waiting for the news tonight.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    I'm not a good people estimater but there were alot. Waiting for the news tonight.

    The sheriff estimated 6000 people, others have put it at 7500 people. Media did leave around 10:30am before all the people still in line to get in arrived.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.