Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

CK 07/31

FlashFlash Senior MemberChiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,493 AG
Cher and I hit the water early thinking there might be afternoon storms. Since tide was high, we decided to try for some Redfish. Sorely needed since I have only 1/2 of a fillet left. I tried the "Fishin Rod" thing with a topwater and also throwing a gold spoon. Cher stuck to a small Gulp on a jig head. She always works from the back of the boat with me running the trolling motor along the shoreline as we cast to the grass and bars. The results:

She bags the 22 inch Red. Me zippo.
Although I can't convince my neighbor that you can catch Redfish from the back of the boat, she manages to do so consistently. :hail
We tried a little longer with only a 17 incher making it to the boat. From here, with the winds higher than expected we headed out looking for trout. A big storm started build off of North Key, but stayed away from us. Water temps were just over 85º. Some grass, water clarity, fairly stained.
Started catching lots of Pinfish and Jacks. I cannot remember hooking up with this many pinfish before. :banghead
Ladyfish, small trout, seabass, lizard fish, etc. Lots of them, but only managed two keeper trout. Cher started thinking of the pups, so in we went.

Atleast we didn't get stunk. :grin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• coastal66coastal66 Member Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Dinner. Glad the storms missed you.
  • CatfishCatfish Senior Member The Muddy Banks of the Waccasassa, FLPosts: 527 Officer
    That looks like enough for a few Nice dinners to me. We were at WAC today and saw some storms up your way.
  • troutman57troutman57 Senior Member Homosassa FloridaPosts: 3,691 Captain
    Well done Flash....it's a good thing when wifey outfishes you isn't it? :wink And from the back of the boat...:grin
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • PONCEPONCE Senior Member Big Bend FlaPosts: 5,946 Admiral
    Cher gets things done, ya know it Flash, nice girl happy0005.gif
  • RedbonzRedbonz Senior Member OcalaPosts: 4,538 Captain
    It don't matter who catches as long as you have some for dinner...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • keypondkeypond Senior Member Posts: 2,017 Captain
    :thumbsup
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Senior Member Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
    Redbonz wrote: »
    It don't matter who catches as long as you have some for dinner...

I'm not to sure about that Bonzy, when Cher always has the bent rod and Flash is consistently Mr. Netman!!! I mean who wants to be the "Netman" on every trip???
    Anyway> Great work on keeping Mr. Skunk outa da boat!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Captain
    "The wind was higher than we expected"... from the looks of that picture you must want to fish on a mirror...... I'll tell you too, if you're not catching reds on topwater then yer not holdin' yer mouth right..( slow your lure down).. And Lightnin' always fishes the back of the boat with me and either catches just as many fish or out fishes me so that's no excuse.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    I guess topwater fishing is called the "Fishing Rod Thing" now! Nice trip Flash, looks like you had fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Senior Member Ponte Vedra (Palm Valley) & Cedar Key, FLPosts: 1,459 Officer
    Good to see another good trip on the water.
    Brian
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,493 AG
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    "The wind was higher than we expected"... from the looks of that picture you must want to fish on a mirror...... I'll tell you too, if you're not catching reds on topwater then yer not holdin' yer mouth right..( slow your lure down).. And Lightnin' always fishes the back of the boat with me and either catches just as many fish or out fishes me so that's no excuse.

Out where we wanted to go for trout it was. 10 mph is not alot for some, but for someone with a bad back, Mrs Flash, it makes a difference. The red photo was early morning and behind an island. I've not given up on topwater yet. Maybe you can school our neighbor on back of the boat fishing. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ripnlipsripnlips Senior Member Crystal River / SummerfieldPosts: 2,536 Captain
    Nice to get dinner. Way ta go y'all.