Replies

• SickleFinDreamsSickleFinDreams Posts: 221 Officer
    This is such bull****. This needs to be stopped.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    The test results of the toxicity are not done yet, the only tests that have been done was to see what kind of algae it was. This was sent down to me through interoffice email
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Read that Stuart sandbars are "recommended" off limits.... I hate to say it, but I suspect the wide open locks will continue for a while, until they get the lake down below 15ft... Crazy...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    This is disastrous to our beautiful area!!! I wanted to take the new boat out this week in preps for the weekend, but I'll be damned if I'm going to run all the pumps and live wells in this crap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Imagine if Dorain had been a real hurricane or TS with 10-20in of rain.......... OMG..............
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    LastMango wrote: »
    Imagine if Dorain had been a real hurricane or TS with 10-20in of rain.......... OMG..............
    Actually might have been a good thing. Dike breaks and the natural water flow is restored. Of course, there'd be a couple thousand killed but we wouldn't have algae blooms for a long time. :grin
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    snook87 wrote: »
    The test results of the toxicity are not done yet, the only tests that have been done was to see what kind of algae it was. This was sent down to me through interoffice email

On the 12:00 news, they reported the test were in and said it was toxic and for ppl and pets to stay out of the water from the locks to the SLI. Hope they didn't jump the gun and report false info. I was out in this crap on Tuesday and actually sliced my foot open on a metal post barely sticking out of a sand bar. Been pouring alcohol on it since :hairraiser. ( not the cold refreshing alcohol ) :kick
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    This is what I like.....

“First, seagrass is being shaded and can’t grow,” he said. “Toxins in the algae can kill lots of little animals like shrimp and crabs. And animals that hunt for food in water that should be clear are being messed up because they can’t see their prey through the algae.”

Even when the algae dies, Perry said, it’s a killer: The dying plant cells fall to the bottom and are eaten by bacteria that use up all the oxygen in the water.

“When the oxygen in the water goes below 5 milligrams per liter,” Perry said, “that’s when the fish kills start.”

That does it. I'm moving....mostly because I don't see an end to all this, at least in my limited lifetime.
    .......Rick
  • BuckeyeBuckeye Posts: 4,984 Captain
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    That does it. I'm moving....mostly because I don't see an end to all this, at least in my limited lifetime.

My wife and I have discussed our regret as well. If we only had spent more time researching the area before we purchased......

On another note. How does this toxic water affect the actual sand bar? I mean, even when they do stop dumping and the water clears up isn't there toxins still in the sand? How long does it take those toxins to be flushed out?
    harbaugh_slow.gif

I have never eaten a booger in my entire life. -Jim Harbaugh
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    On the 12:00 news, they reported the test were in and said it was toxic and for ppl and pets to stay out of the water from the locks to the SLI. Hope they didn't jump the gun and report false info. I was out in this crap on Tuesday and actually sliced my foot open on a metal post barely sticking out of a sand bar. Been pouring alcohol on it since :hairraiser. ( not the cold refreshing alcohol ) :kick

Dee Ann Miller, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, said algae samples taken from the estuary Tuesday are being sent to the department’s lab in Tallahassee to determine if toxins are present.

“We should have results within a week or so,” Miller said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Where to move?
    Another algae bloom up north in the Melbourne area killing pelicans, manatees and dolphins. Inshore fishing is doomed.

I wish the national news, 60 minutes or someone would show this at a national level as an environmental disaster
    RStyle wrote: »
    Where to move?
    Another algae bloom up north in the Melbourne area killing pelicans, manatees and dolphins. Inshore fishing is doomed.

I'm thinking about the Big Bend area. About the only thing I'd be missing out on, would be snook. But there are scallops and oysters and clams, none of which we are allowed to catch here. Plenty of grouper and snapper.

Then again I may just decide to stay in Mexico and catch (albeit mostly small) bonefish, permit and tarpon. There are also snook, snapper, grouper, and jewfish.....all with no closed seasons, no slot limits or minimum lengths.
    .......Rick
    And down there, if you can't catch a snook, you just buy em in the grocery store.
    And down there, if you can't catch a snook, you just buy em in the grocery store.

Geez Mitch.....you just ruined my appetite. Have you ever seen the fish in the grocery stores here? I don't think the cats will eat them. "Ice" is not in a Mexican fisherman's vocabulary.
    .......Rick
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Geez Mitch.....you just ruined my appetite. Have you ever seen the fish in the grocery stores here? I don't think the cats will eat them. "Ice" is not in a Mexican fisherman's vocabulary.
    Yeah, I know.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i talked to david at wptv they will be running a piece at 5 and 6 he said they have talked to state officals fishermen and residents of the river he didnt offer up anything else but that
  • bzalmanobzalmano Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Can anybody give me any indication of water quality at Ft. Pierce inlet vs Stuart?