Which fish would you consider eating raw?

As an absolute diehard sushi enthusiast, I have always been curious to what fish I can eat safely raw. Besides the obvious victims; wahoo, tunas. What have you tried?

Anyone experiment all the different species of snapper? Mutton snapper and yellow eyes are fantastic but those are the only species I've tried.

I always bleed and gut my fish within minutes of catching...If you plan on eating anything raw this is a must! Parasites can flee the gut and enter the muscle in as soon as 40 minutes. Also avoid all the meat near the gut...that "toro" cut had the highest parasite concentration.

Also anyone have any tips or tricks? Overnight freezing can make a more tender piece of sashimi.

Thanks fellas.

Replies

• captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Right now, nothing close to the coast. When I was working charter boats in the Keys back in the 70s, (before wasabi and soy sauce that didn't come in packets) we'd freak out the tourists by chowing chunks of fish straight off the filet table. Who knew then they'd be paying $60 a pound for bait 2 decades later. :grin
    Other than hardhead catfish and pilchard, tried most of them once. Surprisingly, or not, ballyhoo and mullet were the worst. Ocean-run snook, porgies and pompano were some of the best. Snook up in the canal earned their old nickname of 'soapfish'. Sheepshead and redfish were not bad during the winter months.
    Then again, we'd ride our bikes behind the mosquito fogging truck without wearing shoes or a helmet. Once walked into our house holding a 'black racer' until my dad grabbed the shotgun. So I may not be the best judge. :grin
  • SickleFinDreamsSickleFinDreams Posts: 221 Officer
    I've heard porgies are awesome. Serious gonads to eat mullet or ballyhoo.
  • Kapt.HookKapt.Hook Posts: 431 Deckhand
    yellow tail and mahi.
    IMG_1519.jpg
  • HogTideHogTide Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Yellowjack!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    When I'm not Fishing...I'm Catching:USA
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,934 Admiral
    Dolphin, Wahoo, of course tuna, queen snapper, yellow eyes, silkys, snook (ocean), dare I say billfish, personally I stay away from bait.

Oh, squid, never never never, not even fried calamari. Once you have seen a swordfish throw up 5 gallons of half digested squid and smelled that, its hard to eat calamari ever again!

But Mitch, seriously, ballyhoo? Does it taste like flying fish?
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,702 Admin
    If it's palatable cooked I'll try it as sashimi.
    Except for canal tuna, which are excellent grilled, but I'd have trouble with them in the raw.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    I have never thought about snook raw. But since the only keeper snook I have caught have been in the backcountry that might be why.

As for dolphin, I have eaten them raw and do like it but have heard some say that this is not always a good fish do to some type of bacteria. Has anyone heard of this?
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
    century7 wrote: »
    I have never thought about snook raw. But since the only keeper snook I have caught have been in the backcountry that might be why.

As for dolphin, I have eaten them raw and do like it but have heard some say that this is not always a good fish do to some type of bacteria. Has anyone heard of this?

From everything I've read, the most important thing to do is freeze the fish. State health guidelines for restaurants require subfreezing temps but I don't know if it is standardized for all fish.
  • FloridaBoyFloridaBoy Posts: 284 Officer
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Anything from the ocean really. Leatherjacks (hornbellies) and cutlassfish are widely marketed in other countries for food.
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
    Wahoo is my favorite, but Yellowtail (which is different from the Yellowtail/Hamachi you get in sushi places), and Rainbow Runner are awesome too! Had Porgy once when a buddy tricked me and said it was YT and it was really good too.
    The Florida Hunters Network Facebook page
  • electrofishelectrofish Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Bluefish - Hate it cooked, but raw it's a different fish.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,046 Moderator
    HogTide wrote: »
    Yellowjack!

Hush !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Right now, nothing close to the coast. When I was working charter boats in the Keys back in the 70s, (before wasabi and soy sauce that didn't come in packets) we'd freak out the tourists by chowing chunks of fish straight off the filet table. Who knew then they'd be paying $60 a pound for bait 2 decades later. :grin
    Other than hardhead catfish and pilchard, tried most of them once. Surprisingly, or not, ballyhoo and mullet were the worst. Ocean-run snook, porgies and pompano were some of the best. Snook up in the canal earned their old nickname of 'soapfish'. Sheepshead and redfish were not bad during the winter months.
    Then again, we'd ride our bikes behind the mosquito fogging truck without wearing shoes or a helmet. Once walked into our house holding a 'black racer' until my dad grabbed the shotgun. So I may not be the best judge. :grin
    Thanks for that old timey story uncle Mitch! :)
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    Bluefish - Hate it cooked, but raw it's a different fish.

You're kidding me! Bluefish! I'd never have considered it
  • WaterDamageWaterDamage Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Dolphin is only good off the cleaning table, or at least the day of capture.
    Wahoo and tuna are the champions here.
    Bottom fish also good - snapper, grouper, tilefish, etc. (and I'm sure grunt, porgy, etc.)
    Cobia's the first I ever tried - also good.
    I wouldn't go for anything out of brackish or questionable waters.

I think I ate a plug of ballyhoo once in Japan to appease my hosts. Nasty stuff. Expensive too.
  • okee74okee74 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    The yellowtail I had on Saturday was great.
  • fishslayer12fishslayer12 Posts: 334 Officer
    spanish mack is really good raw...would not of thought til i tried it...
    If the fish aren't bitin', I jump in and shoot them....
    www.UrgentCareChiropractic.com
    The Treasure Coast's Hometown Chiropractors ! Dr. Schoch, and Urgent Care Chiropractic....We've got your back 772-343-8511 !
    Christmas06andMISC-GOTHRU2191-1.jpg2b84e6de-1.jpg1310476142-1.jpg1316642336-1.jpg