FISH SPECIES ID??

Caught this weird looking guy bottom fishing in 80 ft off Fort Pierce. Anyone know what it is? It looks like a cross between a red grouper and like a rockfish aka mothernlaw fish. But the rockfish ive caught in the river aren't as vibrantly colored. Im mostly a pelagic guy, I don't bottom fish as much, so don't mind me if this is a common catch haha...Also, is it poisonous? Sorry for bad pic, didn't want to get too close to him!

king10_zps18b7d9d0.jpg
21' Grady White with 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke "Pensacola"
12' Carolina Skiff with 6hp Yamaha 4 stroke "Gaht 'Em II"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Hard to be 100% sure from that pic, but I think it's some type of Sea-Robin
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Looks like a scorpionfish
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 793 Officer
    Far from an expert but possibly a "Gulf Toad Fish", official name: Batrachus tau beta.
  • PensacolaPensacola Posts: 135 Deckhand
    You guys think he is poisonous?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    To touch or eat ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Poisonous to Touch, I definitely didn't keep that thing haha..I was disappointed when I first saw it in the water I thought it was a red grouper, then I saw those dumb fins on it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    There are many varieties of Scorpionfish, but I believe it's a Spotted Scorpionfish... Food value is reported to be excellent, but most people toss them back just based on their look... The dorsal fins are venomous...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
    Scroll down here, and you can read about it a bit...

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/fishing/species/reeffish.html
  • Johnny BaccalaJohnny Baccala Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Looks like a scorpionfish to me. Back in December, I was grazed by a spine in the dorsal fin and I can personally confirm a rather severe poisonous reaction. If poisoned, DO NOT ICE...submerge in the hottest water you can tolerate. I traded emails with Dr Ray when it happened...maybe he will chime in and confirm.

JP
    Yes, warm water, same with stingrays.... But, still need to seek proper medical attention after the pain goes away (about 1 hour if area kept in warm to hot water)
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    LastMango wrote: »
    There are many varieties of Scorpionfish, but I believe it's a Spotted Scorpionfish... Food value is reported to be excellent, but most people toss them back just based on their look... The dorsal fins are venomous...

This. Definitely spotted, Scorpaena plumieri, the black and white markings on the base of the pectoral fins is a giveaway. Spines on dorsal and operculum (gill plate) are venomous, not poisonous. Poison is an ingested toxin, like pufferfish. Venom is delivered into the bloodstream. I can't say I have eaten them, but it probably would be similar to lionfish.
    Yes upon looking at google images, was 100% a spotted scorpionfish. Thanks for the info guys

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]