Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Planning a trip to the Captiva area...Advice?

Hey all...wife and I are planning a long weekend down to the Sanibel / Captiva area this fall. The last time we were down there was about 8 years ago and we stayed at South Seas Island. I'm sure things have changed since then.

This time we'll be bringing along our daughters (6 and 9) as well as my flats boat.

Any thoughts on the following resorts? Suggestions on which one provides the best mix of marina resources, pool+beach access for the kids, and overall value for the $$$? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tween Waters
Castaways
South Seas Island

Ideally, I'd be able to put the boat in a slip and fish early in the day while reserving the afternoon for family / beach time with the kids.
-
Chris
Gulf Coast of FL
@flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod

Replies

• never2roughnever2rough Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Hey all...wife and I are planning a long weekend down to the Sanibel / Captiva area this fall. The last time we were down there was about 8 years ago and we stayed at South Seas Island. I'm sure things have changed since then.

This time we'll be bringing along our daughters (6 and 9) as well as my flats boat.

Any thoughts on the following resorts? Suggestions on which one provides the best mix of marina resources, pool+beach access for the kids, and overall value for the $$$? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tween Waters
    Castaways
    South Seas Island

Ideally, I'd be able to put the boat in a slip and fish early in the day while reserving the afternoon for family / beach time with the kids.
    All great spots however South Seas Plantation while being the most expensive is by far the best spot. Im sure its changed a bit in 8 yrs. Golf, beach, resturants , marina, fuel, pools. If it was a guys trip i would stay at Tween waters. Good luck on the vacation.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Thanks. We may go with South Seas again. Wife grew up going there often. Her parents have a Mako 261 and always kept it in a slip there on their weekend trips. We'd like to start a similar tradition with our girls now that I have the Mako 181.

I fish the Upper Tampa Bay area pretty hard but would absolutely love to get into some of the mangroves and cuts and passes down that way.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 676 Officer
    South Seas is the upper crust best, but the prices there dont really equate to value. Glitzy and stuffy and you get the feeling they dont really care if you are there or not.

For a real family trip - Tween Waters. It's not the Ritz, but is a well appointed and nice family resort with all the things you want - your boat in the slip right out back, great pool and the beach just a 100' walk across the street.

If you want an Ole Florida experience try a cottage at Jensen's Twin Palms Resort.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    How about the Tarpon Lodge. You have a boat, trips to cayo costa beach are a short trip. And the rooms are less, still great quality.
    RANGER BAY 2300
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    With the recent water issues down there, is inshore or backwater fishing going to be viable for awhile? The 181 is a great boat but not really suited to running out to look for the blue water.

When would you expect the water situation to stabilize or begin to clear up? Is that even predictable right now?
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL