Safety Wire Pliers for making wire leaders?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried using them to make some haywire twist leaders. I used to use them all the time working on jet engines, and they make the twists look all nice and pretty. Just wondering if anyone has tried it out.
Here is a picture
BikeMasterSafetyWirePliers.jpg

Replies

• Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    LILJim,

Great thought!

As an A&P with IA, I have probably 3 pair of these in my tool box.

Now that you came up with the idea, I'll give it a shot..

Thanks

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Dubro used to make a haywire twist tool. Maybe I'm old school but anything #9 and under, it seems easier to make the wraps and finish with the barrel sans tools. Once you finish the barrel wrap, a crank and a bit of torque makes a clean break. Just my .02.
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,273 Officer
    I'd bet it could work, but also think there are better tools for the job. Not like the right tool for the job is that expensive.
  • LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
    LILJim,

Great thought!

As an A&P with IA, I have probably 3 pair of these in my tool box.

Now that you came up with the idea, I'll give it a shot..

Thanks

Cheers
    Let me know how it works out! I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap pair if it does. Harbor freight had them for under $10
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    I have no clue what this tool is but it looks like fun and since I love Harbor Freight next time I am there I will check them out. What are they called and where would I look for them at Harbor Freight?
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
    Steven

If harbor freight has them, they are called aviation safety wire pliers. They are used to twist and safety wire bolts, oil filters ,etc. anything that you don't want to untwist or unscrew would be wired.

Basically, you take your 2 tag ends of the wire and place them together. You then grip the wires with the pliers and you slide the locking sleeve down towards the wire. Lastly, you gently pull the knob at the top which is on a turning corkscrew which extends while twisting. You can easily tap the corkscrew knob straight down and repeat.

When I get home, I'll show you how they work and will give you some wire to practice with. It is a technique that has to be learned.

Even I learned how.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
    century7 wrote: »
    I have no clue what this tool is but it looks like fun and since I love Harbor Freight next time I am there I will check them out. What are they called and where would I look for them at Harbor Freight?

The way they work is by locking down the pliers onto the wire, then you pull on the knob at the end of the pliers and the pliers twist by themselves. Here is a video of how they work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktwpWPFvHs They are listed all over ebay as well, starting at $8.
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,362 Officer
    and they will probably nick the wire. Most of them have jaws with teeth in them. There are some with rubber inserts (Snap-On for example), they may work. I have tried the old ones.....................guess I need to try the newer ones as they are in my box. One can also get over zealous with them and make too many turns, weakening the wire. The FAA does not like people using them, but then, they are still in WW2. I do my haywires by hand

Oh and Plane Fish................only 3 pair?????????????
    Member #10822
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    thanks for the info. I normally do my haywire twist by hand, they do not always look good but they have held up to some good fights and big fish. When I saw this I thought this might help clean them up a bit.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
    avmech wrote: »

Oh and Plane Fish................only 3 pair?????????????

Frank.. LOL.. I will probably have a couple of more when I get a chance to go through your tool box. :grin:grin:grin :wink

I just wish there was a way to get rid of the engraved initials of the airlines that these originally belonged to!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao

Eric
    PLANE FISH N