Stick A Fork In It..

The blue-green algae is blooming pretty rapidly at the marina across from my house. I'm south of the cross-roads on the intercoastal. It's just a matter of time now before the entire river is a green carpet.

Replies

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,108 Captain
    Absolutely horrible!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    And according to the ACOE, the lake level has actually risen since they opened the gates. It was 15.74 yesterday. It's now 15.78 today. :banghead
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Big sugar at its best.....
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I was offshore yesterday from 11AM to 4PM, and I was checking the radar quite a bit (XM Radar, forgive me) and there was a persistent storm over the lake for most of the day, and it seems like that is the case almost non-stop this year...... I do think that this much fresh/nasty water for this long this year is going to cause some fairly long term damage to the ecosystem (crustaceans, grass beds, spawning grounds, etc) and will remain damaged for many years, some areas and things, maybe forever... I hear there used to be oyster beds in the Lox, which can take a fair amount of fresh water, but there are zero today... Same with conchs...

I used to catch baby Lanes and Muttons off my dock in the Lox with my kids, all the time, but that isn't the case anymore... If they can't come into the rivers for safety and growth, I'm sure the population will be impacted and will probably show up next year with a horrible bottom bite..... Worse than this years bottom bite..
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    well our gov. tricky ricky is spending 5 million on a movie.. while the bays turn green..

maybe a few people can be background actors.. ???..

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/327116/8/Gov-Scott-approves-5M-for-Dolphin-Tale-2-filming
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Again, Scott can't do anything other than ask. And it still won't help.
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    FS Jim wrote: »
    The blue-green algae is blooming pretty rapidly at the marina across from my house. I'm south of the cross-roads on the intercoastal. It's just a matter of time now before the entire river is a green carpet.

Call the local TV news station, they love to have video. They will probably send one of their goofy reporters to do a continuing story that's now showing signs worsening. Use the local news stations need for ratings to keep this environmental disaster on the general publics mind.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Again, Scott can't do anything other than ask. And it still won't help.

I tend to agree, I do not think Scott has any control over the ACOE. Not sure if he has any say over SFWMD. I do find it funny that people keep blaming Scott for this when he has only been in office 2 years and this has been going on a lot longer then that.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    saw some kids catch this fish today
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    The algae bloom will be the new Trayvon Martin story. Hopefully the amateur news stations in West Palm Beach jump on the story.
  • bzalmanobzalmano Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I can't stand Scott but I am not sure what he can do about this situation except advocate for a long term solution. At this point I do not think there is any short term solution. A long term solution is what needs to be explored so this does not continue to happen year after year.
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    I also live south of the cross roads ( Rocky Point ). Fished that area today and wish I took pictures but the sand bars are full of green algae at low tide and plenty of free floating green algae also. Can only imagine what it will be like in another month or two !! Say good bye to any river fishing for awhile, unless u like catching Bass.. !!
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • monkeybusinessjrmonkeybusinessjr Posts: 380 Deckhand
    It's been going in since 1937 with a heavy dose of pollution added in 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okeechobee_Waterway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissimmee_River

The "fix" will screw something else up I'm sure.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Some people need to understand the difference between duckweed and blue-green algae. They look similar when they first start to form but I have been seeing people post pictures freaking out and reporting their sightings to only find out that its duckweed, not saying dont call. It's been confirmed that there is presence of the algae from the locks all the way to the St Lucie Inlet, from Jensen beach causeway to the peck lake and further south along the ICW into hobe sound/jupiter island. August 3rd at Phipps Park (tropical farms) is a "protest" and all are urged to join.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 475 Moderator
    This was b-g algae for sure.
  • EjazzleEjazzle Posts: 110 Officer
    I caught a gar up in the Lox near pennock point a few days ago.

I'm rigging up my watermelon red trick worm and gonna see if I can get some bass this evening.