Black Sea bass out of lwi?

How far south do they go? How deep?

I fished my new kristal Sunday in 300+ and got a few only first ever drop. Wondering if they are good to keep! Also, how far south do they travel. I thought they stay north of Stuart.

Replies

• CatalystCatalyst Posts: 201 Deckhand
    I have caught a few over the years around LWI but I have never even kept one to eat. I hear they are very good eating.
    I have caught them on the reef and deep dropping in around 300'.
    One day I marked a big cloud on the depthfinder in about 35' just south of the inlet and it was a giant school of Sea Bass. Great fun for the kids. Probably caught a dozen or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,377 Captain
    During the last two years, I have been catching them with some regularity off of Pompano in the 300-350' range. Up until then, I had never caught any, nor seen any for that matter, this far south. Most are short but I have caught keepers up to 4 lbs. Maybe they are extending their range.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    They're swimming away from the dirty water we have up here.

If they can be found as shallow as 2-3 mi offshore in Stuart and swim south along the coast, does that equate to 300ft out of LWI (2mi out)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Not sure about the larger ones but I catch tons of smaller sea bass south of the Lake Worth Inlet in shallow, 40-50ft of water.