Slayer trolling motor

Water BearWater Bear Posts: 83 Greenhorn
I have a slayer 14 and I want to put a trolling motor on it. Anyone have any ideas on how to mount a trolling motor on this kayak and what trolling motor i should buy

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Water Bear wrote: »
    I have a slayer 14 and I want to put a trolling motor on it. Anyone have any ideas on how to mount a trolling motor on this kayak and what trolling motor i should buy
    Bassyaks is the go-to company for trolling motors on kayaks. Not a big fan of the owner, but these guys know their stuff! They have a kit for both the Slayer 12 & 14.

http://bassyaks.com/new-stuff/
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Hey Water Bear,

I took a look at some pictures of your kayak, and I believe you can do what I did, if you like. Attached is a link of a little video I did on YouTube which may help you decide. Every kayak is different, but you can use the same principle. Good Luck. By the way, now I have a saltwater approved trolling motor and I carry a spare (back-up) battery. Link to follow.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuo0mbE_1M
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • DubzDubz Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Depends how much money your looking to spend. The easiest and cheapest way is what my buddy did. He has a slayer 14.5 so I know it will work on your boat.

He buys the cheap freshwater Minn-kota endura motor, rinse it off after every use, lasts 2-4 years no problem and they only cost 90-150 bux for about 40 thrust which is plenty. Use a standard milk crate and bolt on a piece of 2x6. He bungies the crate down in the back and the transom mount motor sits on the 2x6 right off the side of the yak. Put a group 24 or 27 in the crate which is more than enough weight to help hold it down and give you 3-5 hours. The handle in nearly in the perfect spot with a 30" shaft.

Cheap, easy, and works surprisingly well.
  • Water BearWater Bear Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice guys
  • BrentspeedgsxrBrentspeedgsxr Posts: 254 Officer
    Do what I did. Refer to my other post. Im actually going to build a few "kits" to sell but doing them a little more professionally but right now Im leaning towards just building them to spec to fit a pescador/ tarpon 120 etc.