SLI 7/28

Hit the inlet at 7:15 to great weather and seas. With all these reports of wahoo plan was to troll in the morning till 9:30. Since I do not have big trolling reels I decided to try to make do with my regular gear. I know some will say why bother but I at least wanted to try. I decided to call it hybrid trolling a mix between high speed and normal trolling. I just downsized the gear from what I see most people use. Put the lines in 80 feet and started heading east. Since I hear some reports of fish caught in the 300 range once I got there I decided to head south. After a while I pulled in the lines to make sure they were still clean. I was missing one lure below the trolling weight, I like to think it was a fish that did that since that is a better story but I think I needed to up my shock leader strength and make it longer. Put another lure out there and a ballyhoo and just decided to troll at a regular speed but the fish did not cooperate. Set up a drift in 280 on a slick but no one was home. Around this time we saw the storms starting to form so we kept an eye on them as it was hard to tell which way they were moving. About 30 minutes later the lighting started to get closer so we pulled them in and decided to get closer to the inlet but as soon as we started headed in the rain came in, luckily the seas were still flat so I could run in quick but man does the rain hurt at 30mph right in the face. As we were about 4 miles from the inlet the rain really started to come down and the lighting and thunder were getting closer making it to the point were I had to slow down as you could not see. As we came by Sandspirt it you saw all the people beaching the boats and hiding under the shelters.

Other then a few reports of some wahoo by Long, Bo and a few others fishing seemed once again real quiet.

Thought I would post this up as well for people that might be interested. There is an event next weekend at Phipps Park to protest the dumping. I know it will not stop it from happening but still nice to get our voices heard

https://www.facebook.com/events/513371885399065/
It works 60% of the time all the time......

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Thanks for the report! I didn't hear you on the VHF, but there were a few calls that came through with a lot of static...

What gear do you use to troll with? Our smallest is a tld25 and although that won't hold a 24oz trolling lead with weighted lure, it will hold an 8oz weighted lure by itself at 16mph (there are plenty of people catching wahoo on surface HS baits)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    I was using tld 25 even with a an 8 or 12oz( I do not recall the size) trolling lead it was pulling drag. I am had one bait on top and one on the trolling lead. I am going to try some different lures next time. What lures were you using and where did you get them?
    This may sound really dumb, but I learned from experience... :grin

Other than the lever drag on the tld, have you adjusted the knob/dial (right name? Connected to lever) drag also? This adjusts the amount of drag your lever drag will put out.

Also, if you run bullet shaped heads rather than chugger shaped, there will be less drag pulling it through the water. Now I'm not saying a tld25 will be a comfortable fight against a wahoo, but it's definitely doable.

My tld25 was pulling the lure on the left. Believe it's called a wahoo wacker; reskirted.

null_zps6200e3f4.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    How did you re-skirt the wahoo wacker?
    1) Pick a skirt that when appropriately lined with the bottom of the weighted head will be in line with the lowest hanging hook. In my case, it was size 80 for this lure.
    2) Set the skirt next to lure to see where you'll have to cut the top of the squid skirt head off at. Mark it with your finger and make the cut. In my case, it was about 7/8".
    3) Flip the skirt inside out (if lure rigged with cable/hooks already) and slide it through the cable end of lure onto the lure head (add one or two drops of oil or very little Vaseline/KY whatever you have lying around and the new skirt will slide right on, learned this the hard way after manually doing the first without). You want to slide it just past the first knob that you'll feel with your fingers just below the lure head. You'll want to pull it about 1/2" past the knob.
    4) Take some leftover braid (I used 50lb) and tie it around the skirt up against the knob. Keep going round and round. I wrapped the braid 15times really tight before tying it.
    5) Take super glue and spread some over the braid you just tied on there.
    6) Flip the skirt back over and go catch a wahoo, they're biting right now. You can trim the skirt as needed.

I tested mine behind trolling weight and skipping surface at 17mph with no slippage. Was contemplating tossing the lure but glad there's an easy fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Steven

Great job on trying.. I love the idea of "hybrid" gear :applause:applause

Who were you with??? Papa R??????

Cheers buddy

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    This may sound really dumb, but I learned from experience... :grin

Other than the lever drag on the tld, have you adjusted the knob/dial (right name? Connected to lever) drag also? This adjusts the amount of drag your lever drag will put out.

Also, if you run bullet shaped heads rather than chugger shaped, there will be less drag pulling it through the water. Now I'm not saying a tld25 will be a comfortable fight against a wahoo, but it's definitely doable.

My tld25 was pulling the lure on the left. Believe it's called a wahoo wacker; reskirted.

null_zps6200e3f4.jpg

Thanks yep, I did mess with the dial on the lever but did not want to tighten it up too much where the drag will be to tight. Next time out I am going to mess with it some more since iit seems you have a decent setup that works.

Where did you get those lures at?
    3) Flip the skirt inside out (if lure rigged with cable/hooks already) and slide it through the cable end of lure onto the lure head (add one or two drops of oil or very little Vaseline/KY whatever you have lying around and the new skirt will slide right on, learned this the hard way after manually doing the first without). You want to slide it just past the first knob that you'll feel with your fingers just below the lure head. You'll want to pull it about 1/2" past the knob.

QUOTE]

there are so many jokes that could be made here but I will take the high road:rotflmao
    Steven

Great job on trying.. I love the idea of "hybrid" gear :applause:applause

Who were you with??? Papa R??????

Cheers buddy

Thank you I like to think of it as redneck ingenuity. You were correct as to who I was with and he was not having fun when the lighten got close.
    there are so many jokes that could be made here but I will take the high road:rotflmao

I didn't... :wink

West marine has them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Steven you got out on the BIG water next time you will score one. With Hoos and Fins if you run them you catch! Hope to get back out soon.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"