Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Estero Bay - 7/28

Been a couple of weeks since I've been out on the water, but put the boat in yesterday at lover's key and went to chum up some bait. Chummed up some pins and small greenbacks and headed to drift the bay.

Water was stained, brown, and cloudy. Water temp when I started at 8:20AM was 89. Outgoing tide...

Not a breath of air and hot and humid. Started my drift with a greenback under a float and the second it hit the water it was gone - ladyfish (bait for later). next cast with same bait...ladyfish in under 5 secs...more bait. I grabbed an artificial small swim bait and the ladyfish bite was nonstop for 15 mins, until I'd had enough ladyfish excrement on the boat. I drifted into some shallower water and caught one keeper trout and more ladyfish and a few catfish. Not what I had hoped for.

The water was disgusting...there was a sheen on the surface, lots of dead grass, very little clarity and it was warm/hot on temperature. I fished a little while longer and decided to try some spots nearer New Pass. Water was clearer but still brown/tannin. Nothing going on at those spots...so much debris in the water.

I did speak to a kyaker while we tried to help a pontoon rental who had gotten stuck on the flat, and the kyaker told me that he was out early and had one keeper red and had caught a few trout.

Picked up the family for the afternoon and chummed some more bait. just started the incoming tide, and it was a weak current. Went back to the ladyfish hole and the kids loaded up on cats and ladyfish. We had one decent trout on that we lost at the boat, but that's how the kids have to learn how to boat a fish. The water temp steadily rose, and at one point, according to my lowrance unit was 93.5 degrees...hence the ladyfish and cats....

We had fun, but a disappointing table fishing day. The most troublesome thing to me was the water quality and the ridiculous water temps...and with more releases from Lake O in the future, I don't see it getting any better any time soon.

But, I'll keep fishing.

Replies

• nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    I have been dealing with the same exact thing over the weekend. Went out on friday with my father to fish a spot that has always produced big reds and blacks. The water was disgusting and the fish were nowhere to be found. Massive amounts of dead grass and as you said the water had a "sheen" on it. Waited for the tide to turn and went back to that spot and caught more ladyfish. Saw a ton of very small mangrove snapper. Saturday I took a buddy of mine and his wife out and fished a lot of back country and still had very poor results. The water they keep releasing from lake O is really hurting my fishing holes. Ended the day with 3 keeper mangrove snapper and had 4 people fishing a total of 5-6 hours. I don't know what the solution is to this problem so I am just going to keep trying new things I guess. God luck on your next trip and hope you are blessed with success!!
  • cinookdudecinookdude Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report! The water makes me so mad I am speechless! This is the best the collective minds in charge of water management can come up with! Sorry about rant, keep fishing and good luck!
  • redrocket1986redrocket1986 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    i went out the 27th on my kayak in the bay. started very early around 530 to catch the whole outgoing tide. first thing i hit a massive school of ladyfish/trout/big jack. lost two big drag peeling fish in the mayhem. as the water receeded i went out on a nice grass flat and ended up with 2 24" reds and a few keeper trout. bite was done by 10 am tho, way to hot. all on artificials but as of now i say the earlier the better before it heats up! all fish caught on topwater
    Hobie Outback ~TheRedRocket~
  • labsr4melabsr4me Posts: 57 Deckhand
    i went out the 27th on my kayak in the bay. started very early around 530 to catch the whole outgoing tide. first thing i hit a massive school of ladyfish/trout/big jack. lost two big drag peeling fish in the mayhem. as the water receeded i went out on a nice grass flat and ended up with 2 24" reds and a few keeper trout. bite was done by 10 am tho, way to hot. all on artificials but as of now i say the earlier the better before it heats up! all fish caught on topwater

Nice report