offshore trolling x rap questions

Im wanting to add a big lip diver lure to my spread.
Where should I run it all the way to the back or out the sides?
How should I rig it? Im thinking wire but not sure?
Thanks

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Good question. I've got a few deep diving plus but have never run one. From what I've read, people run them closest to the boat in the wash. Maybe they don't run well on the sides or further back in the spread because their movements are more sporadic and if they trip, there coule be a very bad tangle. Would like to hear more suggestions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i run one with some wire in the prop wash it sits back maybe 15 to 20 feet behind the boat run it out of the rocket launcher behind the seat the line goes right over the cowling get some fish on it every now and then I did catch my biggest wahoo that way
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Good tips so far
    The main reason I asked about a wire leader is I would hate to lose a $35 lure to a stupid bonita or cuda..
    I still would like to run it out the center far far back...
    Any other suggestions?
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,072 Officer
    right behind the boat, it seems too close, it's not close enough... EVERYTHING hits it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.anglermanagementfishing.com
    Check out our Charter Fishing Videos: Click Here

Click Here for the 2017 Annual Seminar Details
    Ok then close it is
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    right behind the boat, it seems too close, it's not close enough... EVERYTHING hits it.

We've had a good amount of success pulling a swimming plug tight off one of our flatlines right behind the boat. The boat itself is the best teaser there is. The only drawback is that it gets very difficult to keep trolling that plug when there's a lot of sargassum weed around. It will get fouled with weed constantly, just like when pulling a chin weighted swimming mullet.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    Dave, I didnt think a boat teased fish.
    Can you explain? I would like to learn
    Thanks
  • area52area52 Posts: 519 Officer
    They catch fish but I hate reeling them back in. You have to be on your toes or you might catch one in the face.
  • lucky7lucky7 Posts: 126 Deckhand
    The reason you gotta run them close in is to avoid tangles. When the dive 20-30 feet and your making turns those lures swing out and will tangle your spread. Also I run mine on a 50 wide because of they drag they pull and yes they are a pain to reel back in, I'd do it from idle or dead stop
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Owner-Tank You Very Much
    Saltwater fish tank maintenance and retail
    Cut runner wrote: »
    Dave, I didnt think a boat teased fish.
    Can you explain? I would like to learn
    Thanks

The boat is an attractor due to the noise, spinning shiny props, and whitewater. I believe that's what initially draws them up towards the commotion near the surface. If there's a swimming plug right there under the whitewater for them to take a shot at, then all the better. Wahoo specifically seem to have no problem eating right up tight behind the boat.

So my next question is shouldni rig it with wire leader and crimps or just 80-100 mono?
    I also have a spool of 150 flouro
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    I run mine with 10" of wire.. thats what I'd recommend. I too run it close in the prop wash- it works
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 793 Officer
    If your in doubt if they catch, check out my post on the fishing report thread, sure worked for me Saturday! I use short and center.
    Cut runner wrote: »
    So my next question is shouldni rig it with wire leader and crimps or just 80-100 mono?
    I also have a spool of 150 flouro

If you're rigging an X rap I'd use single strand wire using haywire twists on each side. Crimps are only used on cable or mono leaders.

• jetpilotjetpilot Posts: 419 Officer
    I troll it on the long corner. In order to get it down 30' it needs to be out 100' I believe.
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    I have always run some kind of lipped diver and caught a huge variety of fish on them. Even got a Sail on one a few months back. I would rig it on wire in most cases, at the very least heavy mono. Usually just under the prop wash, or off one of the corners. Be very careful reeling them in, if your moving, they will fly straight at your head most of the time. That is the only thing I will troll with treble hooks, and thought about seeing if one will track well if switched to "J"'s. I really do not like treble hooks off-shore or anytime Dolphin are a likelihood. I just keep imagine slinging a lively dolphin into the boat, with one treble in the fish, and the other finding someone's leg.