Free Lining Blue Runners.

Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
Went out of boynton yesterday, and caught a few blue runners on our way out on a diving crank. Tried to freeline them out while drifting in 200 ft, but both mine and my buddy's blue runner just stayed right under our kayaks. Like 2 feet under the kayak and would not budge. Tried giving them tons of line, just a little, split shots, trolling them, no matter what we did they just hung out right under us. How do I get them to go down, or at least away from the boat? Tried nose hooking and back hooking. I've heard of people using downriggers on boats and slow trolling but would that work on a kayak thats drifting?

Replies

• Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    That happens a lot to me and not just with the runners. I like to open my bail and then paddle away 100-150 ft for the ones that just wanna hang out. A lot of times they find their way back, then I just paddle away. Slow trolling works, I do it too. I don't have a down rigger but you can get em or use an egg sinker to keep em down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mackerelmaniacmackerelmaniac Posts: 119 Officer
    Try a ballon and paddle the opposite direction it slows them down makes them struggle and you can see where they are, that works and you get big hits on top...lots of fun. God Luck.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    I just pick them up and cast them out. I then open the bail and let lots of line out so it doesn't find me again. Be careful with other people, it could just hide under their kayak too.
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    Lots of line out - Had 2 get busted today. One got frayed at the swivel and the other got slammed, followed by a nice run but I should have waited to set the hook. I pulled up a chunk of runner on the stinger.... missed a nice fish. :(
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Dang Man..Better luck next time.:shrug
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    quatin wrote: »
    I just pick them up and cast them out. I then open the bail and let lots of line out so it doesn't find me again. Be careful with other people, it could just hide under their kayak too.

A runner of mine caused one hell of a mess one time. I thought he was behind me, and we stopped to jig for a bit. A friend got a fish on and boatside got tangled up something FIERCE with my runners line. The little guy bolted as soon as he saw the bonita and did about 4-5 circles around his kayak....fun stuff that was.

Luckily it was a Bonnie , and not something "more important"
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    They always do that I HATE runners lol. i once put one down 60-70' on a downrigger. I was slow trolling for 30-40 minutes without a hit. I looked down and the **** runner was right next to my yak lol
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,297 Moderator
    that happened with my gogs two weekends ago, **** things just kept coming back to the "safety" of my kayak's shadow. Doug, thats why I was asking if you had any sinkers, I was gonna put one in line with the leader and attempt a ghetto downrigger lol.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Give them a "fin trim". They'll swim a lot but won't get much traction.
  • krashkrash Posts: 593 Officer
    Get a Kite rig....
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Try a ballon and paddle the opposite direction it slows them down makes them struggle and you can see where they are, that works and you get big hits on top...lots of fun. God Luck.
    I will try the balloon idea soon enough. You can keep an eye on the bait, if you are fishing subsurface.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.