Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lobster count

omiomi MemberPosts: 34 Deckhand
Last year it seamed more bugs near 7mile and east than In lower keys. What's it like this year? We had 4 divers and limited by 2pm both days. Went yesterday just to run and look for new holes bet I didn't see 5 legal. Did see first big jewfish in a long time. Have not heard a report from lower keys yet.

Replies

• DeHavenDeHaven Senior Member Lakeland, FLPosts: 253 Officer
    This year they were thinned out compared to last year (for us anyway) We limited out both days because we have plenty of spots, but a lot of ours were empty (no shorts or anything) or lionfish infested.
  • JoshWJoshW Senior Member SarasotaPosts: 523 Officer
    We hunted Key Largo. We did not get out until 1:30 on Wednesday and only got 7 between the wife and I. Day 2 we limited out by 11am. We were free diving only. Lots of egg bearers and very few shorts for us. They were really spread out.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Senior Member Posts: 328 Deckhand
    This year was normal for us; last year was the worse we ever saw since 1983.
  • sk018sk018 Senior Member Atlanta, GaPosts: 2,958 Captain
    Im hearing mixed reviews. Mostly Im hearing better than last year. I hope so, I go the second or third week of regular season, and its usually a little tougher. Last year was the first time in a while we didn't limit out every day. In fact we weren't even close. We wooorked 8 hour days with about 15-20 per day with 5 free divers!
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Senior Member Posts: 328 Deckhand
    We started out going for regular season opening day and productivity gradually petered out to so few. Then we started going mini season and opening day and the day after opening was really tough and we dropped the opening season trip. We limited out (24) on Wednesday in an hour and took 3 hours to catch 21 on Thursday, saw nothing the next 2 hours then finished the last 3. We were going to be done, limit or not, by that time. Of course, our youngest diver is 54 and we're not to work ourselves too much.
  • Aquaman13Aquaman13 Member Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I agree with you on last year. Friends I knew in the upper Keys did fine, and although we got our limits, the lower Keys was the worst we had seen in years. Many of our normal guaranteed spots were empty and we had to look where others were not. this year we limited by 7:45 Wednesday and 9 something on Thursday, and left a lot behind. Hope they will still be there. Heading back down tomorrow.