Flat-Lining Live Goggle Eyes. (Braid or Mono)?

I am about to start flat-lining gogs in deeper waters, and I am looking for as much feedback possible. Can I put the stinger rig directly to the braided line, or do I have to have a mono leader attached to the kingfish rig, before the mono? I am not sure about this at all. If I was to attach a mono to the stinger rig as a leader, what size should I use? There a lot of you guys that land some monster kings, and I always see the stinger rigs coming out of the sides of the fishes mouth. I will be doing this this weekend, and with your help I may get lucky and land that larger kingfish I am obsessed in landing. Thanks in advance for your responses. By the way, this is by far the best paddle craft forum out there, and I can't recommend it enough.:)
Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 593 Officer
    If you are targeting kings the stinger should be on wire and so should the main hook, kings have teeth like cudas and will cut mono like butter and braid almost as easy.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    If you use braid, a mono leader is advisable. Uni-to-uni knot seems to be the favorite method for making that connection. I used to fish kings in the Keys and preferred blue runners, because they are stronger and will take your line deep. I used 12 lb. spinning outfit with mono line. I tied the stinger rig directly to the double line with a small swivel...(a #10?) For 12 lb. the wire used was #5....just under 60 lb. test. Whereas most of our fish were either side of 10 lbs, it was not too unusual to take a king in the 40's on this outfit...but that was years ago. I think there are a lot fewer 40 lb. kingfish these days....at least on the East coast.
    .......Rick
    And be sure that the wire of the stinger portion passes through both the hook eye and the wire loop of the upper main hook. That or check your hook eyes very carefully, to be sure they are closed completely. Fine wire will work its way through the smallest gap and if you are hooked up by just the stinger, this could result in a lost fish.
    .......Rick
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    And be sure that the wire of the stinger portion passes through both the hook eye and the wire loop of the upper main hook. That or check your hook eyes very carefully, to be sure they are closed completely. Fine wire will work its way through the smallest gap and if you are hooked up by just the stinger, this could result in a lost fish.
    Thanks for your quick response. I usually use 12# test line in my spinners most of the time. But the heavier rod I use has 30# braid all the way thru. I guess almost 300 yds. I just thought that maybe I could attach the pre-rigged kingfish stinger rigs they sell, directly to the braid. Can I do this though?
    Personally, I would use a mono leader......but that's just me. Maybe someone else will have had a positive experience, tying the stinger rig directly to the braid.
    .......Rick
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    Personally, I would use a mono leader......but that's just me. Maybe someone else will have had a positive experience, tying the stinger rig directly to the braid.
    Thanks again. Appreciate it.
    Catch 'em up!! POST THE RESULTS!!!!! :fishing
    .......Rick
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Frank, if you have braid, use mono or fleurocarbon tied directly to the braid. I like at least 10ft of 40 or 30lb. Like someone else said, double uni knot. It's easy and strong. 8 inches of #4 or #5 wire to the main hook followed by your stinger hook. If the water it's real clear, you might have better chances with no wire to your lead hook and only wire to the stinger. Kingfish strike at the tail of the bait. If you have to use a swivel, use a small swivel. Better would be no swivel and an Albright knot. The less tackle, the more natural the bait looks. Good luck!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    Frank, if you have braid, use mono or fleurocarbon tied directly to the braid. I like at least 10ft of 40 or 30lb. Like someone else said, double uni knot. It's easy and strong. 8 inches of #4 or #5 wire to the main hook followed by your stinger hook. If the water it's real clear, you might have better chances with no wire to your lead hook and only wire to the stinger. Kingfish strike at the tail of the bait. If you have to use a swivel, use a small swivel. Better would be no swivel and an Albright knot. The less tackle, the more natural the bait looks. Good luck!!

+1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I thought I was done with this but Capt. Yak brought up a very good point. For your 12 lb. rig, the swivel would be OK (except maybe for the clear water scenario). And with using such a tiny swivel, and just 12 lb., you want to be sure you test that connection, to make sure you have a good swivel. Just like you can get a bad hook in a box, well, you can also get a bad swivel and this happens more frequently with the tiny ones. With your braid rod, the Albright is definitely the way to go. The swivel required would be way too big. I assume you already know to use coffee wire and black swivels. (I swear, I don't know why they even sell the shiny stuff anymore....maybe the people from up north buy it) OK...I'm done.Finally :rolleyes
    .......Rick
  • CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    I never had good knot strength with braid ever. But when I have to use braid I make a Bimini just a better connection to be honest. Personally I would switch to mono saves your hands and is way easier to work with. If you don't want to use wire go with the Gami long shanks. I use to commercial king fish and never used wire just 2 mustads connected with 60-80 pound mono. Very rare I would get a cut off with that rig. Stingers I find are better using a kite or a trolley from a bridge or pier.
  • meckertmeckert Posts: 76 Deckhand
    I flat line gogs all the time... i use a stinger rig with #5 wire tired dierctly to the braid. Never had any issues with that. landed many kings that way. Even a couple 35 plus pounders. biggest thing to remember is make sure you have your drag set light...they call them smokers for a reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks!
    +1
    Alright, Thanks.
    meckert wrote: »
    I flat line gogs all the time... i use a stinger rig with #5 wire tired dierctly to the braid. Never had any issues with that. landed many kings that way. Even a couple 35 plus pounders. biggest thing to remember is make sure you have your drag set light...they call them smokers for a reason.
    Does this work for you in clearer water also? I know that when kings are hungry, they'll hit just about anything. I will be targeting for the biggest smoker I can land. Thanks for your response.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Using a mono leader will allow you to grab the leader when gaffing the fish boat side . Don't even think about touching braid with a fish on the line.
    Android77 wrote: »
    Using a mono leader will allow you to grab the leader when gaffing the fish boat side . Don't even think about touching braid with a fish on the line.
    Great tip Android77. I like having all my fingers intact. No snubbies! Ouch.
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Some guys will argue this but live baiting you should always use mono. You really need that stretch so you dont pull hooks esp fish that jump (dolphin, sail) and wahoo bc they are very easy to pull hooks on. Look at the tournament live bait fisherman, They all use mono for a reason. That being said plenty of fish can be caught with braid but i would use 15-20' of mono or flouro leader 1 to add a little stretch and 2 bc the braid is very visable. I use singer rigs with about 5" of #4 wire to a 2/0 J and a #6 treble.. Most importantly fish light drag!!
    Tightlines
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
    Some guys will argue this but live baiting you should always use mono. You really need that stretch so you dont pull hooks esp fish that jump (dolphin, sail) and wahoo bc they are very easy to pull hooks on. Look at the tournament live bait fisherman, They all use mono for a reason. That being said plenty of fish can be caught with braid but i would use 15-20' of mono or flouro leader 1 to add a little stretch and 2 bc the braid is very visable. I use singer rigs with about 5" of #4 wire to a 2/0 J and a #6 treble.. Most importantly fish light drag!!
    Tightlines
    Thanks drichard1986, I have seen some of the pictures of the fish you bring up, and all I can say is hats off to you. Even though I have only been kayak fishing, for a little over a year, I have gotten severely hooked on the offshore aspect of it. I find myself going much further offshore, every time I fish. Now I have overcome any fear of going way beyond the breakers and if I could only learn the live baiting, I should be landing some quality fish. I will remember to fish light drag for sure. I guess the better of the rods that I currently have is a Shimano Thunnus 6000 bait runner. I think that should work out nicely with the live bait. Thanks for taking the time to post a response.
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Thanks for the compliments man. Trust me if you get out there fish the right areas you will catch awesome fish. That's another thing try not to just drift in random areas. Look for weedlines, slicks, color changes, current rips.... anything that will attract fish
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
    Thanks for the compliments man. Trust me if you get out there fish the right areas you will catch awesome fish. That's another thing try not to just drift in random areas. Look for weedlines, slicks, color changes, current rips.... anything that will attract fish
    Thanks for the tips. I know now, that I pretty much been doing everything "wrong". What good is it that I can venture out far offshore, if I am not observing these things. That is the reason that some of the guys can go out, and within a few hours land those quality fish. No time is wasted. From now on it will be quality time, rather than quantity time. I guess that is the price I have been paying by being self taught. Live & Learn.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    FYI, just something I thought I'd make mention (after seeing a few posts about braid knots)

If you're tying braid to anything (except line to line) swivel, hook, lure, solid ring etc. Check out the "Palomar knot" I've never had one fail using braid...ever. It's a very simple knot and super easy to tie (even on a rocking boat)

Double the lines, pass the loop through the eye of the swivel. Make a basic overhand knot with the loop, and then feed the swivel, hook etc back through the original loop. When you cinch it down, it should tighten down onto the swivel and then the knot cinches onto itself. It's a solid connection and very underrated (because the knot isn't that great with mono...gets a bad rap)

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    Thanks ZimmerNole for the knot tip. I don't use that knot as often as I should, but I will take your advice on using it on braid.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Monoooooooooooooo
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    Thanks ZimmerNole for the knot tip. I don't use that knot as often as I should, but I will take your advice on using it on braid.
    Thanks to all.
    Monoooooooooooooo
    Mono it is, thanks.