Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

East meets West! Little help?

In a little over a week I will be leaving the waters of the Indian River Lagoon and Mosquito Lagoon to head to Fort Myers Beach. I'm staying for a week and looking to do some fishing. Looking for some advice on artificials, live/cut bait and close by areas. I will have a kayak and also surf rods. Any tips would be appreciated! Especially areas to look for and tidal influence. Here we have no real tidal influence in the north IRL or SML. So this is a little new to me.

I'm staying on the water (bayside) north of the causway. So any tips on the bay under the causway and north toward hurricane pass and pelican bay?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Are you staying at San Carlos RV park? the seawall around that place is great for snook, trout, and reds. Also the beach go to the right as far as you can go is great for snook. anytime you can fish is a great time.
  • rogera13rogera13 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Real V thanks for the tip. I'm actually staying on the island. According to the map kinda across from San Carlos but have a kayak so I can paddle that way! When you say beach as far o the right as possible are you referring to the park and point that looks toward Sanibel?

Again thanks!
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    the right side of Fort Myers beach near the Pink Shell. San Carlos RV park and marina has a ramp the you can launch a kayak from and start fishing from the bridge as you head out. the flats right there are great.
  • snook charmersnook charmer Posts: 337 Deckhand
    I haven't fished over that way in about a year but I used to do pretty good most days. From the point that looks toward Sanibel, to your right is Bunche beach, there are some grass flats close to Bunche. Throw a topwater early in the morning and you should be able to pick up some trout. There is a creek just at the north end of Bunche that I could usually get a few snook back in there, also on topwater in the early morning. Next I used to just drift between the point and about the end of the first span of the bridge to Sanibel and toss a 1/4 ounce jig with a gulp swimming minnow (has a curly tail) and let it sink then twitch it and could limit out on some mangrove snapper once you find some of the little rock piles out there. There was usually some Spanish macks and some undersized grouper to be found also. I used to paddle real slow and troll a Rapala or Bomber Long A between the point and the bridge and have caught Spanish, a small cobia, jumped a tarpon(stayed on for about 30 seconds) and my best was a 30" gag grouper, but that was in the winter when the water cools down and the gag move in closer.
  • rogera13rogera13 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info so far. Couple more questions. Is there a large tidal influence? Better to fish incoming or outgoing or just follow the bait and it doesn't matter? Also reading another post about the freshwater being pumped out of the big O, is this effecting this area yet?
  • snook charmersnook charmer Posts: 337 Deckhand
    With all the rain we had last week or so the water was very brown and dirty last Saturday when I was fishing along the causeway to Sanibel. The tide around there has about a 1 1/2' difference between low and high. If I'm fishing along the mangroves the last of an incoming and first of an outgoing tide when the water is moving is usually better, off the beach or just offshore never really worried about the tide.