too many fish

this does not happen often......caught some nice gray snapper.....hate to freeze fish. has anyone tried cooking the fish and then freezing it ????

Replies

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,835 Captain
    I keep only the fish that I will eat that day.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,251 Officer
    Use a Foodsaver vacuum packer! Fish will remain fresh and no freezer burn for at least a year. Same with other meats. Plus it saves money by letting you save fresh veggies etc that you can't use in one meal prep; onions, tomatoes etc all stay fresh a lot longer when vacuum packed. Also use it to save leftovers!
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 770 Officer
    fish_stix wrote: »
    Use a Foodsaver vacuum packer! Fish will remain fresh and no freezer burn for at least a year. Same with other meats. Plus it saves money by letting you save fresh veggies etc that you can't use in one meal prep; onions, tomatoes etc all stay fresh a lot longer when vacuum packed. Also use it to save leftovers!

now thats for cooked or fried fish,right ?
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,251 Officer
    No! For fresh fish! Uncooked.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    I have smoked fish and vacuumed sealed it, but it will then be used only for dips. Otherwise do them fresh as stated. You'll be hard pressed to notice the difference from fresh caught.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    i've vacuumed sealed for years w/ the water in the bucket method....still don't beleive a frozen fish is as good as fresh...modern flash freezing on vessels now puts out a great product,but i can't do that....next time i'll cook a piece fresh and then freeze it and try it later...
  • JimboleusJimboleus Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    If you have room in your freezer,,place all your fillets in a tray of fresh clean water,and add a little fresh squeezed lemon juice,,then freeze.. to thaw place in bowl of cool water and let it happen slowly .It will stay as fresh as it gets for almost forever.. As for saving pre-cooked stuff.. the vacuum sealed method is probably the best..But why bother with the process..If you have freezer space for a 9" 13" casserole dish you can freeze a bunch and then stack em like cord wood,It helps to separate the fillets if you freeze the layers with parchment or wax paper:thumbsup
    i've vacuumed sealed for years w/ the water in the bucket method....still don't beleive a frozen fish is as good as fresh...modern flash freezing on vessels now puts out a great product,but i can't do that....next time i'll cook a piece fresh and then freeze it and try it later...

There in is the difference. You'll have no water is a vacuumed sealed bag of fresh fish, or at best a minimal amount. Had a friend that married a girl from the island of Pohnpei in Micronesia. He said she would turn up her nose at the "fresh fish" at grocery stores but she smiled big time when I got back from my vacations and I would bring him bags of frozen, vacuumed sealed fish at work. She never turned it down. What I was actually doing was updating my older batches of frozen fish with the newest, freshest stuff that we just caught. Some of what I gave him was 6 months old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    I guess you are unfamiliar with using a bucket of water to vacuum seal a bag of anything.....no water in the bag .
    I guess you are unfamiliar with using a bucket of water to vacuum seal a bag of anything.....no water in the bag .

No, guess not. I was assuming the old place fish in milk carton, fill with water and freeze trick. At any rate good luck with the cook then freeze method. Let us know how it turns out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer

I'm unfamiliar as well and do not want to seem ignorant.

Care to elaborate?
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    The water in the 'container' is simply used to force the air out of the bag...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    simple.......put fish in a good zip lock bag. zip shut 3/4 of the seal...submerge the bag in a bucket (not a pail) of water until all but the un ziped part is still out.....then slowly zip shut the rest as you further submerge the bag..
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,198 Captain
    simple.......put fish in a good zip lock bag. zip shut 3/4 of the seal...submerge the bag in a bucket (not a pail) of water until all but the un ziped part is still out.....then slowly zip shut the rest as you further submerge the bag..

Yea, we did this for years in Baja. Easy...........

Not a good as vac packing, this get out more air!