Push Pole for Kayak?

ApexApex Posts: 33 Deckhand
I just picked up my new Pro Angler 14' and I want to be able to pole this thing around the flats like a skiff. I have a feeling that the 8' parknpole is going to be too short for what I am wanting to do. I have been considering the 12' Stiffy kayak push pole, the Sabalo Extreme kayak push pole in 12' or a regular mangrove/tfo 14'9" push pole. Do you think that the mangrove/tfo push pole is going to be too much for the yak. At this point my head hurts from thinking about this for the last two days and would welcome any suggestions or feedback. What would you do? I don't want to go with closet rod, bamboo, pvc, conduit, painters pole, pool net pool, or any such rigs

Jimmy

Replies

• USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Anything 4 feet longer than your boat is perfect.
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I didn't even know that Stiffy made a "kayak" pushpole. Aside from probably being a little shorter, is it smaller in diameter also? Hope they have a website.....I'll check.
    .......Rick
  • Flatz KomanderFlatz Komander Posts: 137 Officer
    I have a PA14 and use an 8' stickit. It is perfect for anchoring and using as a push pole. I am 6'4" and think that one any longer would get in the way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  • ApexApex Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    I didn't even know that Stiffy made a "kayak" pushpole. Aside from probably being a little shorter, is it smaller in diameter also? Hope they have a website.....I'll check.

The Stiffy is 1.25" in diameter. The sabalo extreme is 1" dia and they can make them up to 12' long plus it is half the price of the stifffy. I need to decide what to go with soon.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Apex wrote: »
    The Stiffy is 1.25" in diameter. The sabalo extreme is 1" dia and they can make them up to 12' long plus it is half the price of the stifffy. I need to decide what to go with soon.

Thanks for that...their website had zero mention of a kayak pushpole. Is it by chance a 3-piece pole? That would be great if it were.
    .......Rick
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    I just purchased an 8' ParkNPole and for what it is its great product, but for poling while standing it won't do the job.
    I use it mainly for poling my canoe while sitting and other than the mud foot being to small for soft bottom it works good, I fish mainly in 2 to 4 feet of water depth.

I have used the pole that comes with the FreedomHawks and its OK but still short for standing.

I have also used the TFO and its hard to beat for standing and poling the canoe and the kayaks too, maybe a bit overkill for the kayak but works. It comes in 3 pieces and you have to assemble it, so the expensive shipping you'll find on other single piece pole is not an issue. Its very light and easy to handle.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • ApexApex Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I ended up picking up my Stiffy kayak push pole today from Caribee in Islamorada. Caribee was the only local dealer that would give me the time of day when I mentioned what I was looking for. I plan to put the new pole through it's paces this weekend and report back.