Question about drift fishing with a drift sock

Coco561Coco561 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
I live in the Boynton area. Are drift socks effective offshore drift fishing or do they get in the way too much? I was testing mine today, I have an OceanKayak Trident 11 and the wind was blowing me pretty fast away from the jetty... I threw the sock out, and my drift did slow down to a much more favorable speed, but naturally my line drifted to the same side as the sock... My question is: in this situation, would the drift bag interfere with fishing capability? is there a favored way to rig these things out there?

Replies

• PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Ur drift sock should have 2 lines the further one out is to make it easier to retract. Once u have a nice size fish on def bring in the sock.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    Drift socks are a very effective tool for both in/offshore. I would recommend keeping it close to your yak (2-3 feet) to prevent tangle while you are fighting a fish and can be easily taken out of water.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Hooked wrote: »
    Drift socks are a very effective tool for both in/offshore. I would recommend keeping it close to your yak (2-3 feet) to prevent tangle while you are fighting a fish and can be easily taken out of water.
    X2 For sure. Works awesome on flat lining & deep jigging. Just keep it fairly close 2U for quick removal when needed.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    I attach a small float buoy on mine. If I catch a fish and it's getting in the way. I'll unclip the drift sock and let it go. Once I land the fish, I'll paddle back to retrieve it.
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    quatin wrote: »
    I attach a small float buoy on mine. If I catch a fish and it's getting in the way. I'll unclip the drift sock and let it go. Once I land the fish, I'll paddle back to retrieve it.

That's a great idea...:applause
  • Ol SargeOl Sarge Posts: 290 Officer
    OK so I HAVE A QUESTION AND i DONT THINK IM HIJACKING THIS THREAD BECAUSE IT HAS TO DO WITH THE DRIFT SOCK
    WHERE DO YOU ATTACH THE SOCK TO THE YAK? FRONT, BACK?
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    I guess it varies, depending on fishing conditions. If I'm fishing the bottom or flat lining a gog, I usually clip it in the anchor trolley and send it to the back. If the seas and wind are less than favorable, (which means my dumb **** should have stayed home) I will "ONLY" attach to the front. This way I can keep my eye on any sudden surges/wakes, and react accordingly. When the seas get to rough, try to avoid the drift sock, if at all possible. My anchor trolley has bungees in each end, that act as a shock absorber for the drift sock. I hope this helps you Ol Sarge. Luck 2U.
    Ol Sarge wrote: »
    OK so I HAVE A QUESTION AND i DONT THINK IM HIJACKING THIS THREAD BECAUSE IT HAS TO DO WITH THE DRIFT SOCK
    WHERE DO YOU ATTACH THE SOCK TO THE YAK? FRONT, BACK?
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.