First time to Abacos

2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
Going to be doing a trip to abacos in August. Will be staying near hopetown for a week and despite being nearly everywhere else, have never been there. Actually, the only time I have ever set foot on abaco was at sandy point to get fuel. Anyway, l am trying to get together a list of must-do's and things to see. I know nippers is a must, but what else is there around to do? We will be a group of couples so blue holes, beach spots, shallow wrecks, ect is great. Lobster season will be open so we can get the girls in on that as well. Just want to get an idea of whats around. I would be happy to share info with others about other islands as well. Thanks, john

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Of course the Dodge Guide is a must, will point you in right direction. Seaspray is a great spot, Abaco Inn for dinner
  • ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,830 Captain
    Stopped at Nippers in June. Liked the place, good vibe. They were playing Kenny Chesney and other good music and you can snorkel right out in front. Sunday they have a pig roast. Check out the reef around the corner from Baker's Bay on Guana if you have time. Beautiful setting. Hope Town is cool, try Harbour's Edge or Cap'n Jack's for dockside dining, and you can snorkel right out in front of Hopetown Harbour Lodge. Sandy Cay is on the "can't miss" list for snorkeling but it's a park so no fishing. Re: blue holes, if you go down to Little Harbor (and Pete's Pub) there are 14 of them in the creeks around the Bight of Old Robinson west of there. You need some tide to get your dinghy back up in there, assuming you have a dinghy. There are two entrances close to the blue holes; check google earth and load some coordinates onto your handheld gps. The entrance further west and north will get you within .2 miles of a blue hole if your window of opportunity is narrow. Have a great trip.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    get to the lighthouse on hope town .. sign the book and go to the top! get your mask, snorkel and fins and get to snake cay creek.. and it's blue holes.. , mermaid reef..
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. We won't have a dinghy so I'm not sure about the shallow spots
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    check out the beach on taloo. they call it trash beach very cool spot that all the floatsomd ends up on good spot to find sea glass to for the ladies
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    you can drive to snake and mermaid reef or take your boat.. plenty of water.
    That's great, we will definitely check it out over there. Do you guys find many helmet shells in the sand over there?
    Thanks for all the replies so far
  • ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,830 Captain
    2fastlx wrote: »
    That's great, we will definitely check it out over there. Do you guys find many helmet shells in the sand over there?
    I found multiple live flame and emperor helmets. I didn't keep any though. Didn't want to fly home with something stinking up my cooler. Conch, on the other hand, were scarce in these heavily traveled cruising grounds, except at Sandy Cay (Pelican L&S Park, no take...) Awesome snorkeling there, not to be missed.