Skip to main content
Home Boating

Lowrance Elite 7 HDI

Nauti GatorNauti Gator Posts: 122 Deckhand
edited June 3 in Boating #1
Just picked up my new Elite 7 HDI from Gander Mountain today ($550 with transducer). Looking for the best card for Northeast Florida, specifically the St Johns River and the Intercoastal Waterway. My unit has the micro SD card slot.
Ralph

"RnR 4 RnR" 2015 Contender 22 Sport 2015 250 Yamaha

"RnR 4 RnR" 2013 Frontier 2104 Meridian 2013 150 Yamaha - SOLD[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• DixonDixon Posts: 56 Deckhand
    With Navionics+, you'll be able to download and use any of the Nautical charting you'd like -both fresh and saltwater - anywhere in the US and Canada. That would be your best choice because of the flexibility to add lakes and other areas should the need arise.

Because you unit is not yet capable of switching over to view the SonarCharts layer, the 2 GB capacity will afford you more space than you'll ever need.

Part is MSD/NAV+NI
  • Nauti GatorNauti Gator Posts: 122 Deckhand
    I picked up the Navionics Gold card at West Marine for $200, what are the pros and cons of this particular chip for the Elite 7 HDI? Also, I tried downloading the update from Lowrance to install on the unit, but the unit doesn't automatically download the update off the micro sd, any suggestions?
    Ralph

• DixonDixon Posts: 56 Deckhand
    The Gold 1XG is a coastal/saltwater only chart...which covers the entire US. If you only boat in saltwater, this is a perfect choice for that machine.

I'm afraid I'm. Not an authority on software updates for the full Navico line. When I update my HDS, I insert the chip with the update on it, use the Pages button until I can get to the Files section where I open up the "Memory Card 1" and click on the update file...
  • Nauti GatorNauti Gator Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Thanks, I use it mostly for saltish type water, in the intercoastal and St Johns River.
    Ralph

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,945 Admiral
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • sharky12sharky12 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    keep an eye on the updates. The Elite will soon be able to show the Navionics SonarCharts off a Nav+ or Navionics Update chart. That will give you one foot bottom contours and a more customizeable map for where you want to fish anywhere in the usa and canada
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 304 Deckhand
    I have this model and was told when I bought it I could use the satellite imaging of the platinum+. Card and unit are both up to date but no luck with sat overlay. Is there a trick or is it not possible with the elite 7?