Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Video Teaser

Prhea36Prhea36 MemberPosts: 75 Deckhand
Here is a little teaser video i have of a video me and my buddy have been working on!
let me know what you guys think!
Thanks

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Senior Member Posts: 722 Officer

It's cute enough, but what is the purpose? Is it to amuse your friends and relatives, or to intrigue and amaze strangers. Are you hoping to initiate a TV show, create an independent film, or just document your exploits?
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• Prhea36Prhea36 Member Posts: 75 Deckhand
    A little just for fun independent film.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Senior Member Posts: 1,064 Officer
    Cool video!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
    If you are considering some commercial film, you have a ways to go. There is no market or audience for this.

I like the direction, and the telling-a-story approach with the sunrise, splash-in, running, etc in addition to fish catching. It is sort of a home-made version of Fly Nation. The quality of cinematography won't do, and your shots are too tight and cramped. You can't make commercial-quality film without commercial-quality equipment. Your editing is too quick, and there isn't enough time to appreciate what is going on (though that is the nature of a trailer). Your soundtrack completely overwhelms the fishing, and will drive off as much audience as it pleases.

You need to bring more to the table in terms of your fishing. The locale and fish didn't look particularly interesting. Most of us catch these fish (or better) in these places (or better). We are only going to watch a movie about it if it is at least as good as what we do. You need a lot more "Wow" factor (fabulous fish, fabulous cinematography, fabulous action, fabulous commentary).

It's kind of like the difference between catching croppies in a pond, and going big-game fishing. What you have is cute and fun, but it's strictly back-yard action. Ask yourself why someone who doesn't know you would sit and watch.

Make that movie.
    Mark

• RawDawsRawDaws Member Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Eats Eats Eats. Best teasers I have ever seen, and videos for that matter, all focus on the stalk, presentation, and EAT. Personally I don't care about the fight. Every sight fishing take has it's own personality, and I think that split second moment is what we all fish for. Not easy to catch on camera, and like Mark stated it takes high quality equipment to do it any justice. One of the best teasers I have seen was a Tarpon stalking a fly in slow motion for multiple strips, then the second gills flared and fly dissapears it cuts out. Maybe only 30 seconds long, but it def hooked me.
    Fishing in the RAW

-Brian
    Well thanks guys I have some eats in the main video. Thanks for all the criticism I have alot to work on haha
  • redjimredjim Senior Member Posts: 774 Officer
    Whatever the heck the purpose is I liked it and wish I could make something close to it.

:thumbsup
    Thanks makes me feel a little better about it!
  • E-typeE-type Senior Member Punta Gorda (Pirate Harbor)Posts: 246 Officer
    Just have fun and enjoy the process. You'll never please everyone. My dad used to say if you hand out $20 bills on the street corner, one guy will say you are nice.. Another will say you are showing off, and a third will say you could afford to give out bigger bills. Keep the video rolling.
    "Fishing videos" are great, and everyone should shoot and post them, just like for photos. "Marketable" or "commercial" videos are another animal entirely.

It is simply cruel to encourage someone to put a ton of work into a doomed commercial project. It would be like watching someone use the wrong cast, fly, and tactics for a fish, and get skunked ... and never give them a hand. Or letting a boxer get in the ring against a professional. Better to let them know early, so they can change things around and reach their goals.

This is the sort of thing you compete against:

"7 Degrees South:" (Seychelles) http://vimeo.com/70032997

"Rise:" (everywhere) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvZXQZAZqU

"Running Down the Man:" (Baja) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4687EO8tK4

Mark

• OverSlotOverSlot Member Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Great video. No need to listen to the negative comments.
  • RawDawsRawDaws Member Posts: 74 Deckhand
    By posting something on social media is you are opening your work up to both positive and negative comments. In this case I would view the comments as constructive criticism vs. "negative comments". After watching that teaser I would have no interest in watching the full length. His exact words were "tell me what you think", not 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.' That being said I did see the full project that PRHEA posted and thought it was much better than this teaser.
    Fishing in the RAW

-Brian
  • OverSlotOverSlot Member Posts: 48 Deckhand
    well just saying it was a good video.Didnt mean to start a fued RawDaws.