Stone Crab Harvest Question for FWC

Action ItemsAction Items Posts: 12 Greenhorn
Is it legal to tend a friend's traps with his/her permission without them on board the boat?

I'd like to set my full 5 traps and 5 for my wife, but I can't be sure she'll always be with me when I tend my traps.

Also, I'd like to be able to tend a friend's or have him tend mine on my behalf if it happens to be more convenient.

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.

Replies

• Action ItemsAction Items Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Right after posting, I did some of my own research on this. The recreational rule in its entirety is below:

68B-13.009 Recreational Stone Crab Harvest: Bag Limit, Trap Limit, Trap Marking Requirements, Trap Pulling.
    (1) BAG LIMIT. Except for persons harvesting pursuant to a saltwater products license with a stone crab endorsement or an incidental take endorsement and a restricted species endorsement, each harvester of stone crab claws is subject to a daily bag limit of 1 gallon of stone crab claws; provided, however, that no more than 2 gallons shall be possessed aboard any vessel at any time.
    (2) TRAP LIMIT. Except for persons holding a saltwater products license with restricted species and stone crab endorsements, no person harvesting stone crabs pursuant to this subsection shall harvest from, fish with, set, or place in the waters of the state more than 5 stone crab traps. Any such traps shall meet all requirements for stone crab traps specified in Rule 68B-13.008, F.A.C., in subsection (2) and in paragraphs (3)(b), (4)(a), (b), (d), and (e).
    (3) TRAP MARKING REQUIREMENTS. The buoy attached to each trap used to harvest stone crabs, other than those used to harvest for commercial purposes, shall have a legible “R”, at least two inches high, permanently affixed to it. The trap shall have the harvester’s name and address permanently affixed to it in legible letters. The buoy requirements of this subparagraph shall not apply to traps fished from a dock.
    (4) TRAP PULLING. Except for persons harvesting pursuant to a saltwater products license with a stone crab endorsement and a restricted species endorsement, no person shall use any means other than manual means to pull stone crab traps in or from the waters of the State of Florida.
    Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 7-1-00, Amended 7-22-01.

13.009 includes provisions for obtaining permission and allowing another person to harvest on behalf of a commercial harvester, but there is no mention of this for recreational harvesters.

So...any help is appreciated!
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    This has been discussed here before, but we can not search it anymore as they are all lost. The answer is no. You can not check anybodys traps but your own. If you were to check your 5 traps and your wifes 5 traps and had a good day you could not harvest all of them with only a 1 gal limit allowed. So if you wanted to check yours and your wifes and your friends, well you are still only allowed 1 gal of claws per day.
  • Action ItemsAction Items Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Yep. I did a full search on the site. Thanks for the response.

I'd still like to hear FWC weigh in on this...especially since the law has provisions for allowing others to pull commercial traps.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,288 Admiral
    We do a end of season roundup on stray traps, all the crabbers sign up and FWC is provided with a copy of the list and the date of the roundup.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • BlovigatorBlovigator Posts: 185 Deckhand
    When does the season start? Also, do recreational fisherman have a right to set any lobster traps?
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    Season opens Oct 15. There is no recreational lobster trapping allowed
    Blovigator wrote: »
    When does the season start? Also, do recreational fisherman have a right to set any lobster traps?
    You can set your traps on oct.5th but can't harvest until the 15th. No recreational lobster traps allowed.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    Why are so many traps still out there?
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Slacker wrote: »

maybe they are blue crab traps?
    Slacker wrote: »
    Where? Homosassa? Inshore or offshore? Do the buoys have V #'s or X #'s on them? I just did a derelict trap removal from Ozello to just North of Waccasassa in July. Picked up 35 stone crab traps(quite a few of the stone crab traps were under the barge canal bridge where the barges transporting material for the new bridges drug them) and 142 blue crab traps. I didn't get to Homosassa or points west and south of there as I only had an FWC observer for 3 days(they must be on board). We concentrate on the areas with the most traps given the limited time that we have. Hopefully next year I can work from Homosassa south to Bayport.
    There is a line of them off #2 Homosassa, probably 2-3 miles out. They were there last year too. Troutman fishes that area a lot. About 10 to12 ft. deep. I did not notice markings. White floats.
  • GeorgePGeorgeP Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    (2) TRAP LIMIT. Except for persons holding a saltwater products license with restricted species and stone crab endorsements, no person harvesting stone crabs pursuant to this subsection shall harvest from, fish with, set, or place in the waters of the state more than 5 stone crab traps. Any such traps shall meet all requirements for stone crab traps specified in Rule 68B-13.008, F.A.C., in subsection (2) and in paragraphs (3)(b), (4)(a), (b), (d), and (e).

To get this thread back on topic. It seems pretty clear to me in the above quoted recreational rule:
    no person harvesting stone crabs pursuant to this subsection shall harvest from, fish with, set, or place in the waters of the state more than 5 stone crab traps.
    pupraiser wrote: »
    maybe they are blue crab traps?

Nope.
    If you could give me some cords I'll look into them in Oct. It's illegal to use plain white buoys without a contrasting color for blue or stone crab trabs. They might be pinfish traps as we have seen quite a few folks getting into the bait businees around here. I would not think that stone crab traps would have been left out that close to marker 2.
    They are stone crab traps, square, concrete in the bottom, hole in the top. Not sure about the color.