Homosassa best boat ramps

I live down in Tampa, and im planning on heading up to homosassa for a few days. I was just wondering if I could get some help on the best boat ramps to use and the best way to get out to the scallop grounds. Any help would be great !!

Replies

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,703 Captain
    I live down in Tampa, and im planning on heading up to homosassa for a few days. I was just wondering if I could get some help on the best boat ramps to use and the best way to get out to the scallop grounds. Any help would be great !!

MacRae's is a free public ramp that can get crowded on week-ends. Next door is Riverside and it's ten bucks but it too has limited parking. Like MacRaes, over flow parking, is on the streets or wherever you can find an open slot. Both have a somewhat cramped area to negotiate backing the trailer.

On the other side of the river is Riverhaven Marina and it's ten bucks to use their ramp. Nice area and usually easy to get in and out.

If I have to launch on a week-end I go to Riverhaven and pay the ten bucks to save my sanity.

Here's an idea of where to go.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?114932-Scalloping

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,703 Captain
    deleted...duplicate post...didn't make it under the "time limit" to delete
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,162 Captain
    Another vote for Riverhaven. Well worth the $10.00. As for getting out, follow the channel markers, stay in the channel. It can get real shallow, real fast outside the channel. When you get out towards the last marker, head north and look for about 500 boats or so.
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    Riverhaven X3... People that only go out 3 or 4 times a year probably aren't going to pay to use a ramp when there's a free one just across the river. It's well worth the ten bucks to avoid the riff raff over at the free ramp.

If you launch around 6 and then take back out around 2:30 you will avoid 90% of the rush at Riverhaven too. I rarely ever have to wait behind more then 2 or 3 boats even during scallop season there.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Riverhaven hands down.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • CHEEZ-ITCHEEZ-IT Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I went up yesterday and was there around 7-ish...put it at McCrae's and the parking lot was already full. Fortunately I was able to find a spot on the side next to the lot. Just be easy going through the channel if you haven't been in the past. Rock's everywhere....I had a close call coming in, fortunately I didn't do any damage...I think. But 5 feet outside of the channel can rip off your motor. As long as you stay between the markers until you get out into the bay, you should be fine. We had to work hard for ours yesterday, but did end up finding our limit. Seemed to be better pickings in the afternoon.
    "I give lip piercings for free"
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Posts: 270 Officer
    "If you launch around 6 and then take back out around 2:30 you will avoid 90% of the rush at Riverhaven too."

This is the best option.
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
  • SnappaSnappa Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Is it always this busy at the ramps on the weekend? Does it calm down as the season goes on at all? Are the ramps any better on Thursday/Friday vs Saturday/Sunday?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    All I can say is get there early, Riverhaven was absurd this weekend.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 997 Officer
    Sept 25th can't get here soon enough!

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!