Scalloping

I have fished all my life, but have never been scalloping before. Me and a few buddies are planning on heading to Homosassa or Crystal River in a few days. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some key pointers that would help me get on some scallops for my first time out. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,822 AG
    Top right hand corner above where it says "advanced search" punch in "scalloping"
    That should get you plenty of results.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,215 Captain
    Look for all of the other boats out there and go to them.

Do not! And I mean do no get out of any channel, flats boat or not... It doesn't matter and a rock will steal your lower unit. I had a close call in the past out there, since I have a flats boat and was just outside a channel marker.
  • PafoxufPafoxuf Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Went out today out of Crystal River. Lots of scallops out there but they are small right now. If you go out around 10AM just follow the crowd. Gomez Rocks is the area most go to (south of the mouth at Crystal River). We were in both 6' and 4' with 6' feet being much more productive. Absolutely agree and staying in channel.