New Penn 4/0

swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 301 Deckhand
I was in a tackle store and bought two new red 4/0 reels and had the filled with line without really looking at them because I had had them in the past. Got home 80 miles away and found out they are made in china. Kinda stuck with them now because I had line put on them and don't have time to go back. I would have bought used reels if I had known this. No thanks penn.

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    the majority of penn reels are made in china..

welcome to america.. where we outsource everything!! :USA
  • PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    33% of our reels are made in the USA. The economical reality is that its getting harder and harder to make things in the USA but we do our best to make as much gear as we can in the USA. Regardless where the reel is made it is still a PENN engineered reel and will perform. We stand behind all our product regardless. We also still make a few of the Senators in the USA like the 113HN Baja special,116L, and 117L.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Is it true that ALL Penn Reels that MSRP >$199 are Made in USA ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    in most cases anything over $250 is made in the USA but there are a few cases were this is not true. We are bringing back the 704 an 706Z that will retail for $200 and they are made in the USA.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 301 Deckhand
    Well I trusted Penn that I would get what I had before and one quick look tells me they are not the same.
  • robsmack70robsmack70 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    A lot of things are made in China these days to keep things affordable. I am sure Penn has quality control standards in place. Daiwa makes reels in China too as does Abu etc.
    Well I trusted Penn that I would get what I had before and one quick look tells me they are not the same.

I'm afraid you're right... They don't appear to be nearly the quality of the older ones & the local guys that sell them tell me they see a lot more come back to the stores (mostly under warranty) than they ever did back when they were Made in USA :(
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    i bought mine way back and i THINK its made in the USA..
  • TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    By far the best 4/0 Senator that Penn has ever made is currently being made right here in the USA; the 113HN Baja Special.
    Compared to a "regular" Senator 113H, it has: upgraded drag, upgraded gears, upgraded frame, upgraded handle, more ball bearings [6 vs. 2], has the "Disconnecting Pinion Gear" feature [better freespool/casting], Double-Dog anti-reverse, reversible harness lugs, and even an ergonomic choice to orient the gearbox "forward" or "rearward", and it is indeed "Made in USA".
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
    113HN-Baja Specials are great reels... (~$175 Used & ~$250 NEW)
  • TunanorthTunanorth Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Tunanorth wrote: »
    By far the best 4/0 Senator that Penn has ever made is currently being made right here in the USA; the 113HN Baja Special.
    Compared to a "regular" Senator 113H, it has: upgraded drag, upgraded gears, upgraded frame, upgraded handle, more ball bearings [6 vs. 2], has the "Disconnecting Pinion Gear" feature [better freespool/casting], Double-Dog anti-reverse, reversible harness lugs, and even an ergonomic choice to orient the gearbox "forward" or "rearward", and it is indeed "Made in USA".

Should add, even the eccentric [freespool mechanism] of the Senator 113HN 4/0 Baja Special is "upgraded" from the "regular" 4/0 Senator 113H.
    Penn Pro Staffer
    "The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line"
  • P.cliffordP.clifford Posts: 226 Officer
    The Baja 113hn is a fantastic reel. I have 6 and love them for bottom fishing. I think Penn has done the best of all the companies managing offshore quality and still making as much as possible in the US.