New to fly fishing

I fly fish for bass but i would like to try saltwater. How do i begin and what would be some good tackle to start with.

Replies

• bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Begin by visiting your local fly shop. Not K-Mart or Walmart! You'll want a 8-wt or a 9-wt. Work with the resident pro at the fly shop and you'll be happy with your outfit and ready for the water.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    What area are you planning on fishing? 8 or 9 wt.....weight forward floating line....get with a fly guide or instructor. You would be surprised what you can learn in a day on the water.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Pmoconnor89Pmoconnor89 Posts: 77 Deckhand
    This is the perfect time of year to do it. A 7-9 weight rod will cover your inshore species. TFO makes some great products and has a great customer service reputation. I personally use a BVK 8 weight rod and reel combo. A weight foreward floating line is going to be what you will ise 75% of the time or more so start there. Baitfish imitations (clouser, ep minnow, deceiver, etc) will catch all of the inshore species. start simple and use a straight 9 ft section of 25-40lb flourocarbon as your leader system, no need to get too fancy or expensive with pre rigged/tapered leaders. Right now with the snook on the beaches you have the perfect sight fishing opportunity. I will echo the other advice, work with your local fly shop and pick their brains.